Here's the new plan.... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2004, 05:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
Kevin325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Kevin325i
So I've decided I won't have the cash for some springs and shocks/struts and sway bars. I'm going for koni adjustable struts and shocks, and then upgrade the sways to tab mounted with a 25 mm in the front, and 22 mm in the rear.

Should I get struts for a M3, or struts for a pre 10/91 325? Will the M3 ones fit? I'm looking for them to be stiffer, so won't the ones for the M3 be stiffer than for the 325?

Kevin

"WAAAAAAARRRRRIORS, come out to plaaaaay."
Kevin325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2004, 05:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Car: 1995 BMW M3
Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
hmm 25 mm and 22 mm eh

you better be careful about under/over steer if you want those.

Good luck

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Autotechnica is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Autotechnica Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
25F/22R will actually either produce more understeer or give you more neutral handling compared to stock. The 25mm front strut mounted sway will make the front end VERY stiff. I'd recommend an adjustable bar for the front to dial out understeer. Where are you getting the 22mm rear from?

If you get the M3 strut hats the M3 struts will fit no problem. However, I don't know if the 325 springs will fit with the M3 struts. I'd just get the 91/10 ('92) Bilstein SP struts. The 325 dampers should be beefy enough. Since you're going with KONI's though you can always increase the front end stiffness. Anyways, keep in mind KONI has 3 years warranty whereas Bilstein has lifetime. I only bring this up because Bilstein has always been really good with warranty replacements. I've had damaged shocks returned to me within 1-2 weeks. I race my car at the track and occasional auto-x, I have to replace my Bilsteins approx. every 2 years.

Bry
<a href='http://www.automobile-technik.com' target='_blank'>- PARTS FOR SALE</a>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
&lt;img src=&quot;http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/atta...tc=1&quot;&gt;
Autotechnica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 08:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
So you think the 21 in the rear would be a better option?

I don't know where I'd get it from. You have any for sale?

Also, where can I get a set of Bilsteins for 10/91 production dates? I've only been able to find the Konis.

Kevin

&quot;WAAAAAAARRRRRIORS, come out to plaaaaay.&quot;
Old 06-20-2004, 09:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin325i@Jun 20 2004, 09:03 PM
So you think the 21 in the rear would be a better option?

I don't know where I'd get it from. You have any for sale?

Also, where can I get a set of Bilsteins for 10/91 production dates? I've only been able to find the Konis.

Kevin
The biggest you can get for original BMW sways are the M3 96+ 20mm rear sways. Anything larger and you would have to get aftermarket.

The Bilstein's are listed under "1992" front struts which is a different part number than the ones listed for 92-99.

I have a 20mm M3 rear sway from a '98.

Bry
<a href='http://www.automobile-technik.com' target='_blank'>- PARTS FOR SALE</a>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 06-20-2004, 09:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Yeah I actually went to some other sites and found some at shox.com. I think I'm going to go with the H&R adjustable 22mm rear sway bar.

I got another question for you, if I pick up the Bilstein sports instead of the heavy dutys will they be compatable with my stock springs?

Kevin

Old 06-20-2004, 09:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Car: 1995 BMW M3
Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Kevin, how big's your budget. Autotechnica recomended the sport bilsteins but if your budget can't cover that then you should at least go for some Bilstein touring class.

Are you looking for a stiff sporty ride? or just upgraded shocks altogether?

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 09:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Stiff and sporty, but while still maintaining the factory springs. I think the sports are the way to go, if they're compatable with the stock springs.

My budget isn't set yet, but for sure I want to save that extra 250 or so from a set of springs right now. I want the sports so I can upgrade later to some eibach pros.

Pretty much, however much money I have after saving for the next month and a half.

Kevin

Old 06-20-2004, 11:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin325i@Jun 20 2004, 10:36 PM
Stiff and sporty, but while still maintaining the factory springs. I think the sports are the way to go, if they're compatable with the stock springs.

My budget isn't set yet, but for sure I want to save that extra 250 or so from a set of springs right now. I want the sports so I can upgrade later to some eibach pros.

Pretty much, however much money I have after saving for the next month and a half.

Kevin
from what I remember from bavarian autos catalog, the sports are for lowering springs, and the heavy duty is for stiffer than factory ride, and the touring is for the like factory ride. I think that's how they described it. So if your going with stock springs do the heavy duty, If you might be lowering the car.. I'd wait and do it at the same time and get the sports.
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 11:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Don't get touring, it's a waste of money. It's just an OEM replacement shock that's gas pressure.

Bry
Old 06-20-2004, 11:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
So let's try this one more time, I know they're ment for lowering springs.

But will the bilstein sports work wtih stock springs?

What makes them sport shocks, is it just sport valving?

Kevin

Old 06-21-2004, 12:47 AM   #12 (permalink)

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
They are made for shorter springs. hmmm.... too tired for this but I will try. The sports are made so that there is less travel, they prolly also don't expand as much. If you use your regular shocks with lowering springs, the strut is always compressed some what and gets less help from the spring as it compresses. So your shocks will blow a lot quicker. If you are going to lower the car get sports. If not get heavy duty. Thats what they are designed for. If you were going to lower the car, but don't have the money to do it right now, but will for sure soon. Then get the springs first, and blow these shocks and then get the sports.

edit: shit just realized I explained it for regular with lowering springs.... if you use the sports on the regular spring the shock will be more expanded then what it's designed for. Now realistically I can't say exactly what would happen, but I don't see the strut performing as well as the heavy duty would, or as the sports would with lowering springs. when I'm more awake I'll try at this again if need be.
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)