Here is how the springs look after being in the car - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2007, 09:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car: 1995 BMW 325I
Photos:
325IConvertible is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325IConvertible
Here is how the springs look after being in the car

Here are a few pictures of the springs and shocks and what they look like under the car after completion. I hear a small bump/thunk sound from the rear when I hit small dips and it makes me wonder if everything is ok back there not something I have ever heard from a lowered car so I figured I would send in these pics to see what yall think. If everything looked ok? This is my first ever BMW to lower so keep that in mind im still getting used to certain things. My muffler bracket was a little lose I noticed tonight so im thinking that was it hitting the bottom of the car but im still sending this out anyways. to see what yall thought.
The shocks are tight above and below incase yall are wondering.
This thing handles awsome I see now what everyone on here talks about !!!

Passenger side Top view of spring

passenger side bottom view of spring

straight in view of spring

Drivers side top view of spring

Drivers side bottom view of spring

Drivers side straight in view of spring

1995 325I Convertible
2002 Corvette Z06
1969 SS 396 Camaro
325IConvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2007, 03:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Car: 1995 BMW M3
Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Just from those pictures alL i can basically tell is that you installed the spring hats correctly. It really helps wiht diagnosing anythign else. Does it sound like it could be coming from your rear shock towers? How many miles on the chasis? Check that muffler and hope thats the problem.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Car: 1995 BMW M3
Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
PM replied

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: '89 E30 w/M50
Photos:
BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
The springs are in upsidedown. The writing should be readable when installed. The only springs that I know of that had the writing printed on them wrong was one batch of UUC springs.

BMWJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJNKY
The springs are in upsidedown. The writing should be readable when installed. The only springs that I know of that had the writing printed on them wrong was one batch of UUC springs.
ty for discovering that ! I did however call H&R and asked them about that they told me the writing needed to be right side up so I switched it. But im still getting that sound. As for the ride it lifted the car a little but rides a lot tighter and better.
Everyone around me says im just being anal and noticing everything now since there is something new as in feeling.
I have been told it could be the shock mounts or shock tower and that these cars are prone to that messing up.
I looked at them and everything is tight and there are no signs of dents/cracks/brakes does that mean im free from that or there is still a chance they could be messed up ?

I will post up some pics in the next day or so of that area !

1995 325I Convertible
2002 Corvette Z06
1969 SS 396 Camaro
Old 07-30-2007, 10:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Car: 95 M3
Photos:
saltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
check that all your shocks and bolts are tightened down to proper torque specs... theres a chance that a bolt has come loose as your supension gets bounced around?
saltshaker185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Are you running Bilstein or Koni shocks? I've seen a few issues in the past where a Bilstein sport shock piston will start to come loose in the housing and cause a knocking noise. It wouldn't hurt to throw some known good rear shocks on the car just to see if it changes anything.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
ex owner/admin

Car: turbo e36 325/s50 and e46 330xi
Photos:
Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
id check the rear shock mounts for wear, im guessing the stiffer shocks exaggerated a possible wear issue to the point that you can hear it now.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJNKY
Are you running Bilstein or Koni shocks? I've seen a few issues in the past where a Bilstein sport shock piston will start to come loose in the housing and cause a knocking noise. It wouldn't hurt to throw some known good rear shocks on the car just to see if it changes anything.

interesting thanks for the info ! I'm running Bilstein's and they are brand new with brand new shock mounts. Everything from front struts/shocks to the rear springs/shocks and mounts are all brand new from Turner motorsports and the springs are H&R and shocks Bilstein.

1995 325I Convertible
2002 Corvette Z06
1969 SS 396 Camaro
Old 07-31-2007, 06:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325IConvertible
interesting thanks for the info ! I'm running Bilstein's and they are brand new with brand new shock mounts. Everything from front struts/shocks to the rear springs/shocks and mounts are all brand new from Turner motorsports and the springs are H&R and shocks Bilstein.
I would throw a set on and see what happens. The set I saw have this problem had about a week on them before they started to make a dull knocking noise from the back. Warrantied them out and the new set was fine.

This would be a good time to upgrade to some Koni's After making the switch from Bilstein sports to Koni SA's I now see why there is a difference in price and it is worth it. The Bilsteins wern't bad, I ran them for more than a year with no complaints, but the Koni's have a plusher more refined ride but can be made firmer for hard driving when needed with a simple turn of the knob.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Photos:
Cool thanks guys !

1995 325I Convertible
2002 Corvette Z06
1969 SS 396 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)