BMW Werkz banner

Help W/ A Code

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  RIBEMR26 
#1 ·
Hey bro's. Check engine light came on today so I took it to autozone this morning to have the code read. It read "P1423" "auxilary emissions". The guy said the number is high meaning he couldn't tell me what it meant, and that only the dealers keep info on more car specific codes this high. Can anyone help here?

:help

#2 ·
Originally posted by RIBEMR26@Feb 15 2005, 10:27 AM
Hey bro's.  Check engine light came on today so I took it to autozone this morning to have the code read.  It read "P1423" "auxilary emissions".  The guy said the number is high meaning he couldn't tell me what it meant, and that only the dealers keep info on more car specific codes this high.  Can anyone help here?

:help
[snapback]292285[/snapback]​
P1423 secondary air system (bank 1).
start by checking the air pump, non return valve and associated hoses and vacuum lines. Next make sure that the front o2 sensor is within range. HTH

Steve

#3 ·
Thanks Steve -

What do you mean about the O2 sensor being "within range" and how would I check that? This doesn't seem like something I could do myself....

#4 ·
Hey AutoTechnica...

Is this stuff that I can check on my own...without special tools???

#5 ·
Quick bump for the night shift...see if anyone has any ideas....I searched around and read that the most common reason for this is apparently the non-return valve? Can anyone help me out with some details around exactly what this part is...is it a part of the air pump?

#6 ·
Originally posted by RIBEMR26@Feb 15 2005, 06:28 PM
Quick bump for the night shift...see if anyone has any ideas....I searched around and read that the most common reason for this is apparently the non-return valve? Can anyone help me out with some details around exactly what this part is...is it a part of the air pump?
[snapback]292530[/snapback]​
part of the air pump system. Located on the exhaust manifold. Common failure part, pull the hose off of it and check inside with a mirror somtimes they get clogged with carbon.

pull the other end of the hose off(connected to the air pump) if water comes out of it replace the pump, valve and reset the light and take the car on a nice ride to make sure it doesn't reset. If you need any help...email

Steve

#7 ·
Thats the info I was looking for...thanks for the help Steve...

I would rather diagnose the actual problem before just replacing parts....the valve is only like $100....a new secondary air pump is like $250.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.