HELP, very confused :-( - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 06:39 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DirtyDale is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question HELP, very confused :-(

Hi,
I have a BMW 323 2.5l V6. Yesterday night, only hours after passing its MOT with only a brake light bulb to change, my BMW decided to have some kind of electrical failure. 1st the stereo started to flash and then the dashboard lights and my headlamps dulled and then it started to have engine power issues.
As it was dark, it got me 1 1/2 miles home and then i parked it up for the night as it was 2 dark 2 look under the bonnet! I came back to it this morning, checking the obvious - alternator, fan belt, fuse board and battery. Everything seemed fine. Although i couldn't find where the fuse to the alternator is located?
She started up first turn and was fine for about 2mins then started to loose power, started to chug, lights started to dim and then came a moderate amount of black smoke. I then turned her off so's not to flatten the battery.
I am now scratching my head in confusion, does anyone have any ideas please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 09:53 PM
Neutral Member

Texbeamer is on a distinguished road
maybe the battery is going bad.
any dash lights on?
#3 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 10:22 PM
n00b

E39Sport is on a distinguished road
Did you do a voltage test? There is no fuse for the alternator and just looking at an alternator won't tell you if it's good or bad. It sounds like the alternator is the issue. Do the voltage test and let us all know
#4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 12:01 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I agree that the problem is very likely the alternator. In fact, I would venture to say it is probably the voltage regulator, which is part of the alternator for your car. Take the alternator out and have it checked on the bench at Autozone or any big chain auto parts store that does free testing. Warning: if the problem is the voltage regulator, it may still pass the bench test. I had one E36 on which the weird lights blinking, etc., started happening only after the alternator warmed up, which you can't really reproduce on the bench at Autozone.

How long ago was teh alternator replaced? I would just go ahead and put in a new one.

Good luck.

P.S. (1) Your car has an inline 6 engine, not a V6. (2) There is no fuse for a car's alternator.

#5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by E39Sport View Post
Did you do a voltage test? There is no fuse for the alternator and just looking at an alternator won't tell you if it's good or bad. It sounds like the alternator is the issue. Do the voltage test and let us all know
+1^............you should be looking for about 13+ volts with the car running......if your voltage test is good, then.............

you could remove your battery, fully charge it & bring it to an Advanced Auto parts store or Pep Boys & have the battery load tested..........if the battery is not holding a charge, a load test will check this.......

How old is your battery? Average battery life is about 4 years, @ most!

jb

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 10-17-2010 at 12:22 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 05:00 PM
Neutral Member

Texbeamer is on a distinguished road
and for the record it is not a v6 but an inline 6
#7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 06:01 AM
n00b

bmwblackknights09 is on a distinguished road
also test all your terminal conections for any corrosion ive seen this be a simple fix with wire brush before let us know how you get on....

p.s. its a straight six not v6.....
#8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 08:27 PM
n00b

caodan2010 is on a distinguished road
fix ur electrical sparks, they are not working great right now from ur descriptions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)