Help - They screwed up my oil change! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 03:50 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rainman is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I took my 96 328 convertible to a "German Car" shop, (BMW, Mercedes and Audi), for a simple oil and filter change. I go to pull out of my garage the next day and there is a fair size puddle of oil on the garage floor. I look around under the car and it seems to be dripping from the oil drain plug. I take a rag to wipe it off, and the plug spins in my hand!!! They did not tighten the plug!!!

I don't have any ramps, but was able to wedge myself under the car enough to hand tighten the plug with a 17mm box wrench. The leak seems to have stopped.

My question is - Is hand tight ok? Do I need to use a torque wrench?, (which I don't have).

Needless to say I won't be going back to this "German Car" shop. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 05:18 AM
3rd Gear Member

Mr White G is an unknown quantity at this point
You'll be fine tightening by hand. What a bunch of bloody idiots!

I'd be going down there for a refund on the oil they charged to to put in!!!

If it was an inspec1 service, then stick to BMW dealers. If it was just an oil and filter change then it's pretty easy to learn how to do this at home.

<span style='color:blue'>&quot;So my BM makes me a flash bastard? Then I guess you're just keeping it real from the seat of your nova?&quot;</span>

<span style='color:gray'>&quot;...and the home of the brave..... is bravey 130bhp from a 7 litre engine? 100bhp/litre or don't bother building it!&quot;</span>

<span style='color:red'>&quot;Aaahh the UK; where every road is jammed, under construction, poorly maintained and unfairly policed, at least we don't get over-taxed for it........ HA HA HA!&quot;</span>
#3 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 10:33 AM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Wow, what morons. I dream for the day someone does such. I get bent over by my mechanic so often, I would love to have a reason to return the favor.

At any rate, when the shop changed your oil, they should have changed the copper washer that goes on with the drain plug. Take a flashlight, get under your car (best you can) and make sure it is present. If so, you may tighten down until your heart's content, as this should prevent over tightening. Then go down to the shop, and kick some a.

#4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 10:38 AM
Neutral Member

steve 92 325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to steve 92 325is
did you take pics or video I take them up to the shop and ask them if they have liability insurance
#5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 12:19 PM
350z

bigred318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bigred318 Send a message via Yahoo to bigred318
i would kick that mechanics arse! i mean seriously if you cant do an oil change right get out of the business!

David
#6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 12:53 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks a bunch for the help guys. I will check for the copper washer. It didn't leak at all last night after I hand tightened the drain plug....

This was just an oil and filter change, so I felt ok in trying out an independant shop.....Oh well.

Last night I was pretty pissed off, but have calmed down today. I will be visiting the shop to voice my displeasure, as well as writing a letter to the owner. We all make mistakes, its human, but this is pretty lame.

This is my first BMW, so I was hoping to establish a long term relationship with a good shop. Looks like I'll be going to the big dealer in the area for service. They do a good job, but as a small business owner myself I try to support the little guys if I can. You live and learn.
#7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 12:55 PM
Neutral Member

mixalot is an unknown quantity at this point
Get this: I had my oil changed and the next day was scooting down the interstate at night in freezing weather. Then my oil light came on. So I pull over, and see oil splattered all over the engine and NO OIL CAP! Buncha idiots! Luckily, the cap had slid down to a lower part of the engine, so I fished it out and scooted on home, of course, a quart or so low.

Past ownership: 1987 325is, 1988 325i, 1995 325is, 1996 325i Convertible, 1994 325is.

Current ownership (wife's): 2006 X3 3.0i

Future ownership: 3-series of some sort

My office.
My law blog.
#8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 01:30 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Kevin325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Kevin325i
Atleast they didn't break it off , not that i would know anything about that

Kevin (President TBEA)

&quot;WAAAAAAARRRRRIORS, come out to plaaaaay.&quot;
#9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 06:08 PM
Threadkiller

bitcore will become famous soon enough bitcore will become famous soon enough
Sounds familiar to me...

Juffy lube did this, tightened it too much, so it snapped. Thankfully, it's a hollow plug, so it's easier to remove than a solid plug (solid plugs requires drilling and you'll probably just end up taking the oil pan off...)

I wasn't aware of a washer, and I thought of adding a rubber one myself next oil change, but you can certainly strip threads or break the head off the plug if you overtighten. REALLY FINGER TIGHT, or really lightly with a wrench or plyers is plenty.

#10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 09:00 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Wow - At least they didn't break my drain plug, so I guess it could have been worse. I may have to start doing my own oil changes......
#11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 09:09 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
3 things to watch out for...

one is that they used the copper gasket...

two is that you dont undertighten , hand tight might be too little

three the correct way is to hand tight plus a half turn, no more no less, the reason is so you dont break the bolt as shown above and two is because you can crack your oil pan, trust me ive seen it a couple times on cars, (not in person, but ive seen what it looks like when they have to repair it)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)