Help, shiftknob bluish tint, and other problems/questions. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2008, 01:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1999 323si
Photos:
Calevra18 is on a distinguished road
Question Help, shiftknob bluish tint, and other problems/questions.

Hey everyone, so I just got a beautiful blue 1999 323is. Its amazing. But I do have several questions and I have been looking throughily for the the answers but to no avail. So if anyone could help me I would be grateful. They are....(I could provide pictures if you think it would help.)

1) I have all my windows tinted but normal black color but the rearview mirrors are tinited a light blue color. I was wondering if this is significant or means anything or if I could take it off without problem?

2)I know this may sound like a stupid question, but my shift knob keeps falling off when I pull up just a tiny bit and I was wondering if there was a trick to get it to stay on? or whats the best replacement option? because I really have no idea how the screw on shift knobs would be put on?

3)I was looking at all the fuses under the hood, and some of them are pissing the plastic piece that normaly is on top. Are they supposed to be like that?

4) My shifter has a lot of play even when in gear, so I found the writeup on how to change the bushings, but was wondering where would be a good place to get the bushings? and what would they be best replaced with?

5)(kinda not bmw related)I have a garmin gps, and I am wanting to install it in my computer but I want to build a holder for it and such that can pop out when the car is on, I was wondering where would be a good place to buy the motor that pops it out or if there was any specific kind of motor i should use?

6)The steering wheel lever that is supposed to be there to move the wheel up and down or adjust it isnt there, the whole for it is there like it was ripped out...so is there anyway to adjust it?

7)is there a way to rip out all the prewired wired stuff like for the bmw cell phone, etc...

8)what are the main or obvious differences between the OBD1 and OBD2 systems?

9)Do all the speakers have amps with them? I was thinking about replacing just the front ones in the bottem not any of the others. would this represent a problem?

10)whats the max amount of watts that would be ok to hook up to the stock battery without the lights flickering and a hesitation in the idle?

I know some people may think some of these are stupid but I would really like to get this all sorted out very soon so thanks in advance.

Last edited by Calevra18; 04-18-2008 at 01:50 AM.
Calevra18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2008, 01:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
oh i had one more question...
the car didnt come with a battery cover, I was wondering if i fiberglassed one would that work just as good or should I get the stock one? and if so where would be a cheap place to get one?
Old 04-20-2008, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car: 2004 ZHP 6SPD
Photos:
bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to bimmerguy82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calevra18 View Post
Hey everyone, so I just got a beautiful blue 1999 323is. Its amazing. But I do have several questions and I have been looking throughily for the the answers but to no avail. So if anyone could help me I would be grateful. They are....(I could provide pictures if you think it would help.)

1) I have all my windows tinted but normal black color but the rearview mirrors are tinited a light blue color. I was wondering if this is significant or means anything or if I could take it off without problem?

3)I was looking at all the fuses under the hood, and some of them are pissing the plastic piece that normaly is on top. Are they supposed to be like that?

8)what are the main or obvious differences between the OBD1 and OBD2 systems?

9)Do all the speakers have amps with them? I was thinking about replacing just the front ones in the bottem not any of the others. would this represent a problem?

10)whats the max amount of watts that would be ok to hook up to the stock battery without the lights flickering and a hesitation in the idle?

I know some people may think some of these are stupid but I would really like to get this all sorted out very soon so thanks in advance.
1) If you are talking about the side mirrors, they have a factory blue tint to keep the glare of headlights out of your eyes.

3) Bmw factory fuses are a little different than the normal "plastic top" fuses. Need pics to verify for sure.

8) The main difference between obd I and obd II is for emission purposes and the side effect of strictor emssions is harder to mod the car.

9) No. One main amp in the deck if it's aftermarket. should be fine to replace.

10) I have 1,000 watts pushing my 10 in. competion sub, and my car does fine.

|AA stage 1 software| UUC light flywheel and clutch| UUC EVO 3 ssk | K&N Intake | Ebay Headers |

BMWCCA member#407674

Founding member of the hit 145 mph in my almost stock 325i BMW club.
bimmerguy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
First of all, there are no stupid questions (unless you didn't search and google first )

2)The shift knob is supposed to just fit in snuggly -- to click in when you push it in. Maybe one or several of the plastic teeth inside the shift knob is either broken off or is worn. Sounds like a chance to get a new shift knob

3)Although you can use regular, um, "American" fuses in the fuse box, the OEM fuses, or European-style fuses, have teh actual fuse wire exposed at the top. You're fine.

4) Get the shifter bushings from Pelican Parts - Porsche Parts & BMW Parts - Automotive Parts and Accessories - Porsche & BMW. They have a kit that should run you about $85 or $95 and has everythign you need. This saves you teh pain of scavenging around with a list of part numbers in your hand. They also have the best writeup on the web for this procedure.

5)Your garmin pop-up proect is quite ambitious. I imagine places like newark.com, mouser.com, digikey.com, or maybe ven Radio Shack or Fry's should carry electric motors.

6)Most E36s didn't come with an adjustable steering wheel column. If there is a whole there, it may be just that the plastic cover for where the adjusting lever would come out is missing. Except for in very rare cases, E36 steering columns are fixed.

7)Yes, just rip it out.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
Thank you VERY much too both of you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)