BMW Werkz banner

Help!! Serious steering problem!!

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ///M Power 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a 1997 316i Compact and it has developed a rather nasty problem. I was turning sharpish right at about 20mph and its as if someone takes the wheel from my hand.... it then resists my attempts to steer untill i hear a series of clunks, then i get it straight... I have been advised it could be the steering universal joint but i have signed up for expert advice...

:cheers

Thanks

#4 ·
honestly dont take my advice, its really hard to diagnose your problem, the dealership may be too expensive, but if you can find a local BMW mechanic shop that is not the dealership, they can properly diagnose and repair your problem.

welcome to the forum.

#5 ·
Originally posted by johnallowed@Jun 22 2004, 06:23 PM
cheers!!

What do you reckon it will cost in repairs at my local garage

(cant afford bmw labour)
Heres a simple test to check your control arms. Have ur amigo drive yoru car say like 2 mph. then brake hard. All the while you look at your front tires. If they shake when he brakes ahrd, then your looking at new control arms.

...I'm not very knowledgeable on BMW suspensions, but I thought the ball joint is the end of the control arm?

I'd say if its the control arms, then parts should cost you $100 US max. Probably find a good set on ebay for $80, and maybe aluminum ones for like $135.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.