Help with radiator refilling... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 11:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
maxslomoff is an unknown quantity at this point
Help with radiator refilling...

elo,
so i switched out my water pump and thermostat.

when i pulled the water pump out a bunch off coolant dumped out all over the place. i guess i didn't drain the coolant with the heater on, apparently that lets the coolant flush out of the engine?...

anyway, i read that the e36 takes 10.6 quarts of coolant. i assumed since so much dumped out of the engine block i would have to put in the full amount. i poured in one gallon of distilled water and 1 gallon of radiator fluid concentrate, but by the end i had to pour in bit by bit and wait for it to settle. i thought i would have to turn the engine on to get the coolant to circulate. is that right?

turning the heater on didn't seem to work.

i just want to make sure i get this right -
maxslomoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2008, 11:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
OMFG another one!?

Car: 89 E30 325i, 2007 Honda
Photos:
witeshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nice
I suggest a search on cooling system bleeding; Those systems need very careful bleeding of air during refilling. Have a look in the E36 section.

Sig by zeaq
witeshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Car: 97'E36 2.8 w/Optional Sport Package
Photos:
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
witeshark is 100% correct.........follow these directions below carefully, you may have do this a few times.....just be patient...

It really helps to have a friend lend a hand by sitting in the car revving the engine and keeping an eye on the temp gauge. Start off by removing the coolant reservoir cap and the plastic bleeder screw right next to it. Fill the coolant reservoir with a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water. Have your friend start the car, turn on the heater to full hot on the vent position and rev the engine to about 2500 RPM, if the temp gauge goes past the 12 o'clock position, shut the engine off, let it cool down and start over again. Watch the coolant reservoir, as the engine warms up the coolant level should drop, refill as the coolant is sucked out of the reservoir. Watch the bleeder screw hole also, when coolant with no air bubbles begins to overflow then you're almost done. It's a good idea to have some paper towels handy to mop up any overflow. Screw the bleeder screw back in (be careful to not break the plastic screw) and continue to rev the engine, you should see a continuous stream of coolant spraying in to the reservoir from the small hole at the top. Continue letting that spray in to the reservoir while your friend revs the engine for a couple of minutes, until the gauge hits the 12 o'clock mark, to ensure any remaining air is gone. If the heater is blowing hot air when you're revving the motor AND when the engine is at idle then your cooling system is properly bled. If your vents are blowing cool air at idle then you still have air in the system, try revving the engine more and/or squeeze the radiator hoses to help dislodge any trapped air. Once your system is fully bled, top off the reservoir and replace the cap. Check the coolant level in a day or two and top off as needed.

How To BMW

johnny,

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 12-11-2008 at 11:32 AM.
johnnyBgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
cmiulius is on a distinguished road
personal and no offense to anybody, the engine bleed himself.at least mine did that
cmiulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
that's why u have a coolant level sensor
Old 12-25-2008, 05:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Science Roolz!

Car: 2011 Mazda2, 1990 Miata
Photos:
SHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to SHAHAB323IS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiulius View Post
that's why u have a coolant level sensor
the coolant level sensor tells you when the coolant level is low in the expansion tank, it has nothing to do with bleeding, and the system is not self bleeding because the fill point is not the highest point in the system, it is very common to have air bubbles form from not using proper bleeding techniques. If you just filled yours and went, well good job, but that's not the proper way but if it works for you, all the better.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
u are perfectly right,no question but when the air goes out the coolant level goes down so.........................
Old 12-26-2008, 01:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
my car is red

Car: 94 325i, 84 325e
Photos:
94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to 94BMW325i Send a message via Yahoo to 94BMW325i
You have to bleed the cooling system to get the air out, it's not like other cars. It will stay in the system otherwise. When you are filling cars the coolant level will go down a few times before you have the correct level, it needs to circulate, etc.

To the OP: Did you drain the coolant from the engine block by undoing the drain plug that is close to the exhaust manifolds? Wasn't sure if you mentioned that.

member and partial creator of pimpin the auto club
94BMW325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94BMW325i View Post
To the OP: Did you drain the coolant from the engine block by undoing the drain plug that is close to the exhaust manifolds? Wasn't sure if you mentioned that.
Exactly what I was thinking. If you didn't drain the coolant from the engine block, that would explain the big splash you got when you opened the system.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Car: 97'E36 2.8 w/Optional Sport Package
Photos:
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
94325i You have to bleed the cooling system to get the air out,
Exactly......I replaced the waterpump & thermostat both in my e36 & my brother's e46 & both times the engine started to overheat until I had them both fully bled.....
johnny,
johnnyBgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Science Roolz!

Car: 2011 Mazda2, 1990 Miata
Photos:
SHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to SHAHAB323IS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiulius View Post
u are perfectly right,no question but when the air goes out the coolant level goes down so.........................
Yeah, but what is your point, the air that gets trapped in the system when you drain the coolant then refill it will not go out by itself so...................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)