Help!!! Pls!! Help!! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2005, 08:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
What? No Autobahn?

Car: 2001 M5
Photos:
jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile
Send a message via ICQ to jrhaile Send a message via AIM to jrhaile Send a message via MSN to jrhaile
So today was going great until about 3pm. I park my car into a lot and back into the spot, it's kind of on a hill but NOTHING major at all. I go in, replace a hot swapable scsi drive and rebuild the array. takes me 5-8 mins at the most. I come out get in my car and nothing. the car won't start at all. it doesn't even click or I can't hear a click. all electronics turn on and everything but no starting/cranking sound. 5 fucking mins I'm gone and something breaks. So I spend 3 hours out in the cold trying to fix the fucker and get it to start trying numerous things. so my buddy comes with his bronco and we tow it back to my work which was a nightmare as his tow rope kept snapping. of I forgot to mention, I called almost every tow truck place in town and no one is available at all tonight which is bs. so we finally get it back to my work which was like 4 miles away from where it broke down. I'm going to leave it over night but I see a sign for my companies tow trucking company for our garage (basically them impound shit only) After negoitioning with the lady for 20 mins we come to the agreement that they'll tow it back to my house which is 17 miles from my work for $175!!! I'm fucking desperate and agree to it. so now I'm sitting at hell (my work) waiting for the tow truck company to come. good news is my mechanic freed up his schedule so he can come over and look at it tonight and try to fix it for me. I have a feeling it's something stupid/simple too like a fuse or something.

so instead of being home at 3:30 like I was going to be, it's 6:10 and I'm still at work.

anyone have any ideas as far as what's wrong. I checked all fuses, tried the rolling in 2nd gear and letting the clutch out trick and it made some noises like my pistons were pumping but still nothing.

oh btw I'm cursed don't stand near me.

Old 01-25-2005, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
caveman is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to caveman
damn dude that sucks good lick with that.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
What? No Autobahn?

Photos:
jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile
Send a message via ICQ to jrhaile Send a message via AIM to jrhaile Send a message via MSN to jrhaile
you're a lot of help :P
Old 01-25-2005, 08:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
caveman is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to caveman
lol i dont know what to tell you ghead
Old 01-25-2005, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 1993 325i
Photos:
victorgallas is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to victorgallas Send a message via AIM to victorgallas Send a message via MSN to victorgallas
first off, when the key is on the ON position, that the check engine light comes on, indicating that the cxars computer is on and working..

also, if you did not hear any click, then it it most likely your started that simply died, but here is the cacth, when they are to die they give signs.. so read on..

depending on what year was your car made, BMW uses on OBD2, cars made after 95, a device called central locking unit. is not the alarm unit. this unit is responsible for making sure the car electronic system lock for theft prevention.. meaning there is a little chip inside your cars key that has a code, every time you start the car, a sensor mounted on the steering wheel key hole tells the central unit that it is the right, original, key and so the unit permits the engine to crack and work..
what can happen is that with years this little sensor, which is rather fragile, dies.

here is the problem. I dont know if you can simply get a new sensor and change it on the steering wheel, i belive that you can.
but worse comes to worse, you'll need a modic man, a dealer, to reset and reprogram the unit..

o yeah and by the way it is possible to erase the chips code by putting the key too close to a strong magnet, or hiting the key around too hard,

well let me know if this is your case,
have a good one

Fraude an Fahren
BMW &gt; Bayerische Motorenwerke

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
victorgallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
Send a message via ICQ to victorgallas Send a message via AIM to victorgallas Send a message via MSN to victorgallas
Quote:
Originally posted by victorgallas@Jan 25 2005, 09:22 PM
first off, when the key is on the ON position, does the check engine light comes on,?? this indicates that the cars computer is on and working..

also, if you did not hear any click, then it it most likely your started that simply died, but here is the cacth, when they are to die they give signs.. so read on..

depending on what year was your car made, BMW uses on OBD2, cars made after 95, a device called central locking unit. is not the alarm unit. this unit is responsible for making sure the car electronic system lock for theft prevention.. meaning there is a little chip inside your cars key that has a code, every time you start the car, a sensor mounted on the steering wheel key hole tells the central unit that it is the right, original, key and so the unit permits the engine to crack and work..
what can happen is that with years this little sensor, which is rather fragile, dies.

here is the problem. I dont know if you can simply get a new sensor and change it on the steering wheel, i belive that you can.
but worse comes to worse, you'll need a modic man, a dealer, to reset and reprogram the unit..

o yeah and by the way it is possible to erase the chips code by putting the key too close to a strong magnet, or hiting the key around too hard,

well let me know if this is your case,
have a good one
[snapback]279267[/snapback]

and there is another simple thing too.. THE STARTER RELAY.
THERE IS ONE MOUNTED ON THE BACK OF THE STARTER THAT ONE IS NOT REPLECEABLE, THE WHOLE UNIT NEEDS TO GO. THEN THERE IS A RELAY, EITHER INSIDE THE CAR OR FUSE BOX, TO SEND POWER TO THAT RELAY ON THE STARTER.

SEND ME THE LAST 7 DIG OF VIN SO I CAN LOOK UP THE ELECTRICAL DIAGRAM AND TELL YOU WHERE THE RELAY IS HIDING

Fraude an Fahren

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
Old 01-25-2005, 08:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Quote:
Originally posted by victorgallas@Jan 25 2005, 08:23 PM
.... o yeah and by the way it is possible to erase the chips code by putting the key too close to a strong magnet, or hiting the key around too hard,
This means that if you have another key, you should try that.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by drz328i+Jan 25 2005, 09:30 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(drz328i @ Jan 25 2005, 09:30 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-victorgallas@Jan 25 2005, 08:23 PM
.... o yeah and by the way it is possible to erase the chips code by putting the key too close to a strong magnet, or hiting the key around too hard,
This means that if you have another key, you should try that.
[snapback]279280[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

exactly.. i forgot to mention..

thanks man!

Fraude an Fahren

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
Old 01-25-2005, 09:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
What? No Autobahn?

Photos:
My car is 95 and is obd1,... I currently only have one key

my vin is wbacb4323sfm23910 05/95

Vic you're the man like I said in a earlier post :P appreciate the help!
Old 01-25-2005, 09:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by jrhaile@Jan 25 2005, 10:21 PM
My car is 95 and is obd1,... I currently only have one key

my vin is wbacb4323sfm23910* 05/95

Vic you're the man like I said in a earlier post :P* appreciate the help!
[snapback]279330[/snapback]
important!!! TELL ME IF THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON WHEN YOU HAVE THE KEY ON THE ON POSITION.. YOU KNOW ALL THE ELECTRICAL ON..
IT SHOULD BE ON, IF NOT, THEN THE MAIN COMPUTER RELAY IS SHOT OR THE DME ITSLEF. BUT MOST LIKELY IS THE RELAY, IF THE RELAY FAILS, NO POWER FOR THE DME, NO IGNITON.. ALTOUGH THE ENGINE SHOULD STILL CRANCK, THAT IS WHY IM NOT CONSIDERING THIS.
BUT JUST LET ME KNOW ABOUT THE LIGHT.

ill look around about the relay..
also since your's is an OBD1, there is no central locking unit and coding of keys..

but my other question to you is this... i was looking in the info about your car, you say to have OBD 1 conversion, what is this conversion about??

if you did any work, mod, on the engine electronic sytem and electrical, let know,.. something that relates back to the ignition system..
thanks

ill look around on the electrical diagram see if i can spot something.

Fraude an Fahren

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
Old 01-25-2005, 10:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
What? No Autobahn?

Photos:
I have my mechanic here and we can't find the ignition relay... where is it? with a remote start the car cranks over...

the light does come on too.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Nemesis519 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Nemesis519 Send a message via MSN to Nemesis519 Send a message via Yahoo to Nemesis519
Quote:
Originally posted by jrhaile@Jan 26 2005, 12:11 AM
I have my mechanic here and we can't find the ignition relay... where is it? with a remote start the car cranks over...

[snapback]279387[/snapback]

Sounds like your alarm is not disarmed thus not allowing the car to start via the key. or the alarm is just going fubar.
Nemesis519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 11:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by jrhaile@Jan 25 2005, 11:11 PM

[snapback]279387[/snapback]

hey man ive looked some stuff and your car does have the OBD2 system, since i did find parts for the central locking module as i said to you before..

also when looking under bmw TIS information, they have a bulleting about the key antenna receptor, the thing on the steering key lock, to fail and so the car does not start..

you have a remote starter? is this bmw equiptment or after market..
i youd understant the engine to crank and not to start if the central locking sytem went crazy, much likely the remote system activates the starter relay as i said, but since the central locking system fails, the car engine computer, DME, will not be allowed to work.

give me a sec and ill look for the relay.. i know it has one because ive founded on the parts catalog..

but just a head up.. it is very likely that the central locking unit antenna or the unit itself retired, so you will need a visit at the dealer, because youll need a modic for encoding..

be right back.
keep me posted on what you have been trying.

Fraude an Fahren

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
Old 01-25-2005, 11:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
What? No Autobahn?

Photos:
okay Vic... I don't have a remote starter but I do have an aftermarket alarm made by python that was installed over a year ago. after the install of this item, I kept blowing the fuse for the central locking unit so I never replaced the fuse. what I had to try and start the car and actually got it cranking was a starter that I attatched to my battery and the starter.

we've pretty much narrowed it down. from the ignition there is power to the EWS II system. but from the black/yellow wire which we believe goes to the starter there is no power. Les, aka Alpine thought it was either the EWS module or the Central locking module but we're pretty sure it's the EWS unless the central locking somehow powers the ews?

anyways let me know what you think
Old 01-25-2005, 11:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
What? No Autobahn?

Photos:
okay I ripped the EWS II system out and I CAN NOT FIND THE PART number listed anywhere and this module looks fishy to me. the part # is 61358369179. When I went to realoem.com this part number isn't listed. when I use the search method I find the unit as listed but it has a different part number. also this part says it's made by United Technologies Automotives in the good ol USA. it had a bmw logo on it but it seems weird to me

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)