HELP PLEASE-92 318iS purrs like a kitten then spits and sputters when you hit the gas - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 04:40 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
moth311 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question HELP PLEASE-92 318iS purrs like a kitten then spits and sputters when you hit the gas

Hello all-

I am new to the forum but i was wondering if anyone could provide some much needed suggestions.

I have a 1992 318is with 140,000 and she always ran like a champ, but i took it off the road before the winter. I gave it a jump and started right up in the spring, let it idle for a little while and it ran perfect on the way from the house to the garage (for body work, paint, exhaust work, struts and mounts, shocks, ball joints, tie rod ends, belts, brakes and new lines).

This is when the fun starts. The car will start and idle with no problem, purrs like a kitten all day, sounds great, no knocking or erratic idle. As soon as you hit the gas to rev it up it the rpms drop, it bogs down, spits, sputters and sounds like it gonna stall. Let off the gas and it will go back to idle and run perfect again.

After that started I replaced the mass air flow sensor, plugs and wires, fuel filter, double checked all the belts, compression is good, fuel pump and lines are good. The haynes book said to check maf sensor, compression, injectors, plugs etc.

Weird thing is I started it up the other day to let it idle for a while. I hit the gas just to see what would happen and it revved up fine, sounded great, no knocking or sputtering or anything. I took it for a ride down the road to run through the gears and she ran perfect. I parked it back in the garage, turned it off, let it sit for a few minutes. She started fine then started sputtering and spitting just like before when i hit the gas.

Like i said it ran perfect before, and now not so good. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I really hope that its something simple and stupid, but I am about at my wits end and sick of driving my beat up ranger around. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thank you in advance
-moth311
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
A known E36 condition can cause this.......a clogged Idle Air/Speed Control Valve!

HELP PLEASE-92 318iS purrs like a kitten then spits and sputters when you hit the gas-0280140529.jpg

Cleaning E36 ICV (Idle Control Valve) . . . DIY! | BMW E36 Blog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)