Help With Noise From Rear - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 02:19 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bmwgirl2009 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Help With Noise From Rear

I recently bought a 1992 318i. Recently, there is a noise coming from the rear. It is a humming that is constant but it increases with my speed. Does the muffler need to be replaced or could it be something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 02:36 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future
could be tires, could be a bearing, could be the rear diff singing, any number of things

R.I.P fast 6

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 03:46 PM
1st Gear Member

BrianXE36 is on a distinguished road
A 'noise' is very vauge, and as the previous poster said, could be a number of things. If it sounds like it's coming from the exhaust, there could be a hole in it somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybayonne View Post
I eat, sleep, & breathe BMW
#4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 05:06 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
The "noise" sounds like a humming noise. First there was a rattling noise then it turned in to a humming noise.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 05:15 PM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
the rattle could be the baffles within a muffler which has broken loose, possibly as a result of rusting. Is the noise there when you are stationary, withthe motor running, or does it only occur when you are driving? If its whenever the car is running moving or not, its likely to be the exhaust.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
A humming noise that increases with speed sounds like a bad wheel bearing.......

jb

#7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 05:57 PM
n00b

bimmerfeel is on a distinguished road
And of course,with increased speed, an increase in exhaust "noise". An inspection of the muffler, I'm sure we'll all agree, is easier to perform, than an inspection of a wheel bearing. And an inspection that a novice DIY'er can accomplish. Said inspection would also help move the thread along. Not that we aren't enjoying ourselves, of course.
#8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Do you only hear the noise when the car is moving?

#9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 08:08 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I hear the noise when the car is turned on but not moving and when the car is moving. I will take a look under the car today to see if I can see anything. This is my first BMW so I'm a little bit nervous about this noise.
#10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwgirl2009 View Post
I hear the noise when the car is turned on but not moving and when the car is moving. I will take a look under the car today to see if I can see anything. This is my first BMW so I'm a little bit nervous about this noise.
That is most likely an exhaust noise, either something loose or some type of a exhaust leak......don't worry, should be an easy fix!

jb

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 10-11-2009 at 08:18 PM.
#11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 09:23 PM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
If you can get down on your hands and knees and try to pinpoint the noise by crawling around the car with the motor running, you'll probably get a fair idea of where the problem lies. Exhaust issues aren't too hard or expensive to resolve, and it might give you a legitimate reason to upgrade to a better performance exhaust system.
#12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 11:55 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Well it looks like I have worse problems than just a noise. Somebody broke in to my car today, ripped the upholstery, pulled out my glove box and now its disabled. Won't even turn on. Get to spend my day off tomorrow sorting this out with my insurance company There was even a security camera that records where I park my car and nada, it is total crap at night. Argh!!!
#13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 11:59 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Sorry to see that! Best of luck getting it sorted!

BMW

Sig by zeaq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)