i posted this in the wrong area- sorry. i think this is the right spot.
sooo, to take advantage of the hospitality, i thought i'd ask a few questions.
i just bought a beautiful 1993 325is coupe w/ 5 spd. the exterior is nearly perfect, it runs like a top with 155k (and pulled 28 mpg on its maiden voyage last weekend!), and rides great. nice and tight, no shakes. unfortunately, the interior is not so good. maybe someone can help?
1. the 11 button obc (?) forward of the center console is unreadable. does someone rebuild/repair these lcd displays? any idea where to get a functioning example?
2. my door panels are shedding their skin! the edges are peeling around the pockets, the contrasting color inserts are falling off, and in some areas have taken on a 'drum' effect. my local interior shop says i'm out of luck, and they can't do anything. now- i've seen some really nice cars
on this site, surely someone has dealt with this. any thoughts?
3. the seats are in decent shape, but the seat back release handle is gone on the driver side, and doesn't work on the pass. side. suffice to say my kids don't like getting in my new car. can i get a new handle? how do i repair this issue? also the lean forward/back switch doesn't work- on either side. any ideas?
4. other than the obvious engine/trans differences, what makes an m3 different from a 325is? are all of the parts interchangeable? i assume there are differences in the brakes, suspension, diff, etc. can i install these parts on my car? (i promise to never put an 'm' badge on my 325. i mean it.)
5. as 'zippy' as the car is, i'd like to see maybe 40-50 hp more. obviously, i need to look at intakes, exhausts, throttle bodies, and chips. please advise me on manufacturers, styles, etc. is an m3 head/cam swap feasible? how much power
can i add before losing the daily driveability of the car?
again, this is my first bmw. i plan to restore this car, while replacing worn parts with higher performance versions- ending in my own ultimate driving machine. any other tips, suggestions, or information pertaining to my newest automotive adventure would be most welcome. thanks.