BMW Werkz banner

help the new bimmer enthusiast

943 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  iamcreepingdeath 
#1 ·
i posted this in the wrong area- sorry. i think this is the right spot.

sooo, to take advantage of the hospitality, i thought i'd ask a few questions.

i just bought a beautiful 1993 325is coupe w/ 5 spd. the exterior is nearly perfect, it runs like a top with 155k (and pulled 28 mpg on its maiden voyage last weekend!), and rides great. nice and tight, no shakes. unfortunately, the interior is not so good. maybe someone can help?

1. the 11 button obc (?) forward of the center console is unreadable. does someone rebuild/repair these lcd displays? any idea where to get a functioning example?

2. my door panels are shedding their skin! the edges are peeling around the pockets, the contrasting color inserts are falling off, and in some areas have taken on a 'drum' effect. my local interior shop says i'm out of luck, and they can't do anything. now- i've seen some really nice cars on this site, surely someone has dealt with this. any thoughts?

3. the seats are in decent shape, but the seat back release handle is gone on the driver side, and doesn't work on the pass. side. suffice to say my kids don't like getting in my new car. can i get a new handle? how do i repair this issue? also the lean forward/back switch doesn't work- on either side. any ideas?

4. other than the obvious engine/trans differences, what makes an m3 different from a 325is? are all of the parts interchangeable? i assume there are differences in the brakes, suspension, diff, etc. can i install these parts on my car? (i promise to never put an 'm' badge on my 325. i mean it.)

5. as 'zippy' as the car is, i'd like to see maybe 40-50 hp more. obviously, i need to look at intakes, exhausts, throttle bodies, and chips. please advise me on manufacturers, styles, etc. is an m3 head/cam swap feasible? how much power can i add before losing the daily driveability of the car?

again, this is my first bmw. i plan to restore this car, while replacing worn parts with higher performance versions- ending in my own ultimate driving machine. any other tips, suggestions, or information pertaining to my newest automotive adventure would be most welcome. thanks.

See less See more
#4 ·
You have quite a bit of research ahead of you. In order to answer all of your questions, i would have to write a novel. So a basic synopsis is this:

Get new interior parts from a junkyard, or bavauto.com or pelicanparts.com or turnermotorsport.com or egermanparts.com

Major difference between 325 and M3, they are a completely different car except for the frame and most of the body. The M3 has a different engine, transmission, exhaust, suspension, wheels, and some body and interior differences.

You can't get 50 more horsepower without major upgrades such as forced induction (which will give you far more than 50 more hp) or engine internals like cam shafts, pistons, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.