help! my taillights! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2006, 06:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
LYFE SUCK5

Car: 2008 Infiniti G35
Photos:
Ivan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Ivan
help! my taillights!

i bought euro e36 taillights and just installed them. i followed these instructions

http://www.bavauto.com/Assets/inst_p...TailLights.pdf

notice at the bottom how for 318s it says to splice those 4 wires. well i did that and afterward everything worked properly but the taillights did not come on when i turned the headlights on. but the brake lights and turn signals worked. so i thought it was the splicing that might have did it so i disconnected it and spliced the wires back to their original locations and it still did it. so what do you think the problem is? thanks
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2006, 07:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
tomctx is an unknown quantity at this point
Could you have blown a fuse? That would be the first thing I would check.
1995 325I, window tint, K&N, debaffled airbox, BMW #104 wheels, Nighthawk low beams, smoked side markers, smoked corners, smoked taillights, M3 stlye heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.
tomctx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 11:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
LYFE SUCK5

Photos:
Ivan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant future
hmmm, i will check the fuses. thank you!
Old 01-09-2006, 10:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
LYFE SUCK5

Photos:
well, all the fuses turned out to be ok
Old 01-10-2006, 04:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
ex owner/admin

Car: turbo e36 325/s50 and e46 330xi
Photos:
Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
silly of me to ask but there are bulbs in it right? hehehe is there a way you can check to see if proper voltage is getting to the bulbs and if so have you checked the bulbs to make sure they arent blown? ive seen it many times where someone comes in to replace a light bulb and for some magical reason others will go just after you replace that single bulb.... and when you checked your fuse , did you only visually check or did you replace the fuse to see if that may have rectified the the problem? all silly questions im sure , but if you have a volt meter, (everyone should have one btw) than you may be able to trace back the route of the problem.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
LYFE SUCK5

Photos:
well the thing is they were all working fine before i had to do that splice that bavarian autosport had on their instructions. i visually checked both fuses for the "rear foglights" (that is the closest thing i could find to what i was looking for on the fuse list on the lid of the fuse box, and they were fine. i really think it's a problem caused by that splice but it still is doing it even though i converted back the wires to their original form. i will check it out with a voltmeter though.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
E36 325I is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to E36 325I
when i installed my euro tails that i purchased cheaply off of ebay, similar things were going on to your situation. We ended up checking the circuit board on the back of each tail light, and it turned out that a few of the bulbs were not getting a proper ground which was causing all the problems. All we did was take a few tiny peices of medal and inserted them where a ground was needed. Hope that little bit of information will help you out. good luck man

Silver E36 325I
E36 325I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
tomctx is an unknown quantity at this point
Fuses #22, #33, and #37 are shown as taillight fuses in the Bentley manual. Is it your Euro lights that are not working? Do the OEM lights work if you put them back in?used:
1995 325I, window tint, K&N, debaffled airbox, BMW #104 wheels, Nighthawk low beams, smoked side markers, smoked corners, smoked taillights, M3 stlye heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.
tomctx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
LYFE SUCK5

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomctx
Fuses #22, #33, and #37 are shown as taillight fuses in the Bentley manual. Is it your Euro lights that are not working? Do the OEM lights work if you put them back in?used:
i dont know but im going to try them. thats a good idea thanks.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
LYFE SUCK5

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 325I
when i installed my euro tails that i purchased cheaply off of ebay, similar things were going on to your situation. We ended up checking the circuit board on the back of each tail light, and it turned out that a few of the bulbs were not getting a proper ground which was causing all the problems. All we did was take a few tiny peices of medal and inserted them where a ground was needed. Hope that little bit of information will help you out. good luck man

Silver E36 325I

haha, i got mine cheaply off of ebay too, im sure that's what the problem is. ill report back to you guys after i check the oem ones.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
ex owner/admin

Photos:
Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
ew splicing the wires on an ebay set? i think the bavauto guide is for bavauto aftermarket lights, i would have plugged in the adaptor first too see if it would ahve worked right out of the box.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
kyle_baker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kyle_baker Send a message via MSN to kyle_baker Send a message via Yahoo to kyle_baker Send a message via Skype™ to kyle_baker
agreed
kyle_baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
E36 325I is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to E36 325I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious
ew splicing the wires on an ebay set? i think the bavauto guide is for bavauto aftermarket lights, i would have plugged in the adaptor first too see if it would ahve worked right out of the box.
Yeah i dont know what lights Ivan got off ebay but i certainly didnt have to slice any wires in my installation...I dont know why he would have toused..:
E36 325I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car: 1994 325ic
Photos:
agtur2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool help! my taillights!

I have the exact Beemer and had a similar issue. However, my clear tails lights from Ebay did not require any splicing. The issue I encountered after the initial installation:

Brake lights did not work. used:

After much step by step trouble-shooting, I ended up replacing the Fuse and Brake Switch under the brake pedal. However, the issue still persisted. : The Brake lights would turn on for a second or two then would blow out the fuse.

FINALLY I figured out that the actual PLASTIC HOLDER that comes OUT of the light assembly when replacing the bulb was shorting out.

:

No matter where I used the PLASTIC HOLDER in both assemblies, the FUSE would blow out within 5 seconds or less .

So, I bought a hand full of PLASTIC HOLDERS from a local BMW recycle yard and replaced. Of course by then I had to replace the Fuses again.

:lol:

Anyway... Hope this helps,

Alex
agtur2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
ex owner/admin

Photos:
the lesson here??? ebay (and other cheap store) quality sometimes isnt worth the savings over OEM that is unless you buy OEM quality on ebay.

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)