HELP My 1997 318is coupe is playing up!!! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
sim2101 is on a distinguished road
HELP My 1997 318is coupe is playing up!!!

my coupe has been a great car but i am having problems with it and its starting to get me down as i dont know whats wrong and cant afford to put it into a garage. it seems to drive ok except every now and again it will splutter, backfire and completely lose power and then go again all in a few seconds, if it does it when its ticking over sometimes it wont start again and other times it will start but lose the revs and then for no reason i could drive it 100 miles without any problems at all, if anyone can tell me what they think it is and how i go about sorting it out i would be so so so so grateful
Thanks
sim2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
bmwmad1 is on a distinguished road
this sounds like it could possibly be the mass air flow meter starting to play up
and when these do strart to go wrong on any car they can cause all sorts of problems from poor starting to rough idle and lack of power when driving

the cheapest thing to do is to try and swap one off a car that you know is workng ok

this will obviously stop and diagnostic charges from any garages

also check all vac hoses to make sure you have got no air leaks anywhere

let me know how you get on
bmwmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
please give me some advise!!!!

thanks for that but just to clarify, there dosent seem to be any loss of power, when its working it drives fine only when it starts playing up does the power completely go and then goes again sometimes with a backfire, when it plays up during idling, the revs start dropping and rising and then cuts out, but if it does it when driving at higher speeds it has never completely died on me i just keep going and it drops power and cuts in again a few times sometimes about 20 times in the space of 2 or 3 minutes and then is fine for miles...what can it be?????????????
Old 02-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1994 bmw 318i
Photos:
mheidemanjr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to mheidemanjr
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim2101 View Post
thanks for that but just to clarify, there dosent seem to be any loss of power, when its working it drives fine only when it starts playing up does the power completely go and then goes again sometimes with a backfire, when it plays up during idling, the revs start dropping and rising and then cuts out, but if it does it when driving at higher speeds it has never completely died on me i just keep going and it drops power and cuts in again a few times sometimes about 20 times in the space of 2 or 3 minutes and then is fine for miles...what can it be?????????????
sounds like it could allso be the fule fillter. but as the other guy stated the mass air flow in bmws is a tempermental thing try cleaning it with maf sensor cleaner and try it out, keep us postd
mheidemanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
fuel filter fitting???????

is the fuel filter something i can fit?? Where is it?? and where do you get maf sensor cleaner from as i have looked on ebay and cant find any, thanks
Old 02-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim2101 View Post
is the fuel filter something i can fit?? Where is it?? and where do you get maf sensor cleaner from as i have looked on ebay and cant find any, thanks
well any auto parts store will sell maf sensor cleaner autozone advanced auto parts. as far as changing your fuel filters its on the under body heres a pic and diagrame with intructionsThe fuel filter is located on the left side front frame rail. A set of fuel line block off clamps are needed for this procedure. They are available at most automotive parts stores at reasonable prices.

Install the fuel line block off clamps on both the inlet and outlet lines to the fuel filter. This will prevent fuel from leaking out of the hoses once the filter is removed.
Loosen the fuel line clamps. Use a container to catch the fuel left in the filter and remove the hoses from the filter, top hose first.
Remove the filter by loosening the clamp bolt and prying the clamp apart.
To install:

Note the direction of flow of the new filter and install the filter. Tighten the clamp bolt.
Attach the fuel lines to the correct ends of the filter and tighten the hose clamps.
Check the area for leaks.
E36 325i AND 325iS

See Figure 1
Old 02-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
Old 02-03-2009, 04:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)