Help Me Please - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 09:50 PM
3rd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
camnipotent is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to camnipotent Send a message via MSN to camnipotent
(Thread Starter)
Actually I don't have a cat, but I have a HUGE problem. I was coming home from work, tonight, Christmas Eve, and I was going to drive home to see my parents for Christmas. It's about 25 degrees outside, so I waited to rev the engine down the lonely highway. I was about 3 stop and go miles out from my job and about a mile from my house, when at a stoplight, my car just wouldn't shift. It was in first and went I stepped on the gas, it just reved and the car remained at approx. 800 rpm. Any gear I tried wouldn't work, not even reverse. It's as if the clutch is still pushed in. I have noticed a small needle drop of about 50 rpm when I let off the clutch, but the car doesn't hesitate or stall. My clutch has been just fine and I haven't smelled any burning clutch or anything. I test my clutch about once a month to make sure it's not going out. What could have happened that would have caused this complete gear malfunction. There has been no warning signs. ghead

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>1998 BMW 323is Coupe, Black
Manual
18&quot; M3 Hyper Silver Rims
2 12&quot; Rockford Fosgate Subs; Sealed
1.0 Farad Capacitor
800 Watt 2-Way Rockford Fosgate Amplifier</span></span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 09:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Shudogg is an unknown quantity at this point
really sounds like you low or leaking clutch fluid, happened to my friends car (not a bmw) and he almost got hit by a tractor trailer....long story. all we did was fill the fluid tho

<span style='color:red'>
CLASSIFIED</span>

<span style='color:blue'><a href='http://www.whiplashdvd.com' target='_blank'>WHIPLASHDVD.COM</a></span>
#3 (permalink) Old 12-25-2004, 12:46 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Check for clutch fluid leaks. If that looks fine, then have someone who knows tae a look at your clutch/transmission. Good luck. Wish I sould be more help.

#4 (permalink) Old 12-25-2004, 01:27 PM
2nd Gear Member

funtoos is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to funtoos
do u mean to say you can't shift into any gear?... does the clutch stay depressed? if so then like verybody else said, u prolly leakin brake/clutch fluid... happened to me and just don't fill it up n forget about it... get it checked out cuz after i filled mine if worked for bout 2 days and the same thing happened again...
good luck..

'04 330Ci
'00 Kawasaki ZX9-R

Now looking for an M3
#5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 12:43 PM
3rd Gear Member

camnipotent is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to camnipotent Send a message via MSN to camnipotent
(Thread Starter)
I can shift into any gear, it just won't engage and the car can't drive. It just idles at ~800 RPM. I had it taken to AAMCO and they said it will cost $400 just to take the clutch out and look at it. What do you think?

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>1998 BMW 323is Coupe, Black
Manual
18&quot; M3 Hyper Silver Rims
2 12&quot; Rockford Fosgate Subs; Sealed
1.0 Farad Capacitor
800 Watt 2-Way Rockford Fosgate Amplifier</span></span>
#6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 12:54 PM
4th Gear Member

BlantonG13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BlantonG13
I know when my clutch blew 2 weeks ago...the car started, it ran, you could press the gas and it was like the car was in a permanent state of being idle. You could shift into any gear, but it wouldn't engage. You didn't even have to press the clutch to "shift" the shift knob, but it wouldn't allow the gear to actually engage.

As much as you don't want to hear this, it sounds like your clutch is fried. It sounds just like what happened to mine. It just stopped working one day.

1996 318i
5 Speed Manual

Alpine CDA-7895 Head Unit
12&quot; Alpine Type-R, sealed box
Pioneer 400w amp for $20 at a yard sale (to replace my fried MRV-1507)
Infinity Kappa 4&quot; 2-way speakers(rear)
Infinity Kappa 5.25&quot; component speakers(front)
Debaffled airbox, K&amp;N filter
Tracked Mud on carpets
Shampooed and cleaned carpets
#7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 03:34 PM
350z

bigred318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bigred318 Send a message via Yahoo to bigred318
yeah hopefully your clutch isnt gone, if it is buy a new one and instal yourself, they will work you if you have someone else install

400$ just to look at the Clutch is CRAZY

David
#8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 08:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Redbullrr is on a distinguished road
I have a 96 318IS, and I think the clutch is going, but really wierd sometimes it pulls really hard. Love this car by the way coming from acura integra. Anyway sometimes when I press the gas the car revs then its like the clutch engages and the rpm goes down a bit and then the car starts to move. I know I probably need a new clutch, but the question here is there anything else I should be looking at like clutch fluid. I am new to this BMW and I didnt even know it used clutch fluid. Please dont laugh I really didnt know. Just bought the car about a month ago. Or do I need a new clutch. If so how easy is it to do this yourself. I am mechanically inclined for the most part. Any help is good help, thanks guys.
#9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 09:13 AM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
redbullr-your problem sound like your pressure plate is starting to fatigue, and may blow in the near future.

#10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 10:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey thanks do you know what how much it is for a new kit? Also anywere I can DIY?
#11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 11:32 AM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
the DIY is pretty tricky if its your first look at it.lots of little things that are a pain in the ass if you forget to do them right, not to mention if this is the first time you have done the clutch than the bell housing bolts are gonna be one hell of a bitch to get off. unless you have a full lift and all the proper tools id advise to take it to a mechanic. as for kits there are lots out there, ranging from OE to performance aftermarket, you just need to figure out what you want. and what price range you can afford.

however for the time been , i would just pocket a bit of money and ride it out untill the clutch is just about gone or completely gone. when i had the same similar problem you did, i still had like another 15,000 to go untill it totally went.

#12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 08:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey thanks a lot for the advice. I have changed Clutches before but on a Front Wheel Drive car, I've also done a rX7 witch is real wheel, If the clutch can hold till spring that would be great, thanks again!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)