HELP Front seats won't go in! no seat to drive car with! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 09:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 93' BMW 318is coupe+Prelude+Civic
Photos:
Camaroyal is on a distinguished road
Unhappy HELP Front seats won't go in! no seat to drive car with!

Hi Me yet again, I finally got the rear bolsters/seats into my 318is coupe. Great. Now all that's left is to put the front seats in. hmm... the tracks won't line up, it's like they are out of line with two the front 'bolt posts'? Like one track is way foward and the other is back. Any ideas on how to correct this? I think both front seats may be like it but I'm not sure as I haven't tried the drivers seat yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Camaroyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 09:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car: 2002 325i
Photos:
BMWides110377 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BMWides110377 Send a message via MSN to BMWides110377 Send a message via Yahoo to BMWides110377
Do you have any pics that you can post of the issue? Hard to visualize this w/o them
BMWides110377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
Hmm no I don't have any pics unfortunately. Let me try to describe it moreso. As you know there are two tracks to each seat. One track is much more far foward than the other and therefore won't line up with the front bolts that it 'hooks' onto. The backs don't line up either. So the metal track the one that bolts to the floor is out of line. I can get one side in on the front but then the other side is way out of line. I kinda noticed the others were when I removed them but they were I'm assuming factory fitted to the car and all the bolts were tight etc but it did seem like one side was slightly more forward than the other. With the leather ones (that I'm putting in) it seems like one side is considerably more forward than the other. Hopefully this has made it a bit clearer without pics. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Car: E38 1997 728i Individual
Photos:
marti5 is on a distinguished road
Are they electric or manual operated, may be the runner on the seat is not in the right place, ie, plug seat in and move back or forth the runner may line up, same with manual lever.

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
marti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
They are manual seats. I have managed to get the drivers seat in without too much problem but I'm pretty sure the runners on that seat were lined up anyway. So as for the passenger seat, are you saying that I need to put the seat flat somewhere and try and slide the seat backwards and forwards as if I'm in the car adjusting the seat? Would that then make the runners line up? (The drivers seat was difficult to move back and forth but it eventualy did and I've oiled it a bit to help it continue to be able to move when necessary) Thanks for the tips.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Photos:
Yep thats what Im saying, I had this prob many years ago and it worked for me.

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
Old 01-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
Oh excellent, well I shall try it soon as I've had some coffee and feel like venturing out into the darkness.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Photos:
Oh, Use grease rather than oil.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
I did that and it worked! I was able to bolt the seat in! Thanks so much. Except that now I've got yet another problem. lol My wonderful mother decided to have a go in the car today and tried to move her seat back and pulled the lever using a bit of force because the seat wouldn't move back as it's stiff and does take a bit of pushing back on it with ones body. Well as a result of pulling the lever with force it broke off! Luckily the seat is still in the position for me to drive the car but if anyone taller than me gets in they will have a problem. Any ideas on what I can do? Will I have to get yet another whole seat?
Old 01-21-2009, 02:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car: 97 BMW M3, 93 Honda Del Sol 427hp
Photos:
garbone is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to garbone
perhaps weld a piece of metal in place of the sheared handle, possibly scavenge for just the handle? not entirely sure since im stuck with super heavy electrics but i would go the weld option. a properly done weld is stronger than the original. often enought the metal around the weld bends or breaks before a good weld does. just my $.02
garbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Photos:
Hi, firstly if it was that stiff I would say its not quite lined up remove and do what you did to the passenger seat, as for the lever, if its flat plate drill 2 holes and bolt or weld, if its tubular find a piece of steel pipe to go over a drill and bolt either side of the break.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)