BMW Werkz banner

Help< Finally Figured Out Where Coolant Is Leaking

12K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  MaClaud10 
#1 ·
OK I FINALLY figured out where my coolant is leaking, I was looking under my car and this green stuff was dripping, so I guess thats coolant? unless theirs some other green liquid I dont know about, but my coolant is green, ANYWAYS

It's like BEHIND my engine and it's leaking on my exhaust pipes, A lil before my catalytic converter I think?

It's dripping from up top, and just going down, but I didnt really find an exact spot, So this made me think? Is it possible it's going into my engine........then leaking out?

I really doubt it tho, because it's behind my engine, and plus wouldnt my engine burn it up instead of letting it leak out, Is there some hoses behind the engine that it might be leaking out of,

Sorry no pics, im gonna try to raise my car up and see what I can find :lol:

but any ideas? remember it's like in front of my cat (front being front of the car so it's forward to the cat converter) and it's behind my engine, well pretty much behind, the leak is like right below where the back of my engine it seems would go.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like it is coolant leaking from a hose. How long has it been leaking? I say it could be a hose because the coolant tank is in the front of the car and I can see no other way of a coolant leak without it being a medium, such as a hose. I don't know why it would be back there though. Check your coolant level and if you have an OBC you will be warned when it gets low.

#4 ·
Oh like I know it's leaking, but is there a hose behind the engine?
it was leaking from like behind like i said

but I wondered also, is it possible that it went through the engine, then leaked out of the seals in the back of the engine, or is that impossible? :driving

#5 ·
Unless you have a hole in your block or something, it's sort of rare to leak from your engine.

USUALLY when theres a coolant leak from the engine it's the headgasket - and thats internal and you'd see white smoke, coolant in the oil, etc.

Theres a large coolant hose that goes to the block back there and also a few that go to the heater core. Check those. I'm 99% sure it's a hose.

What year is your car?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...142&hg=11&fg=35

Since i don't know what car you have, I just assumed early model 325i. Thats where all the hoses hide. Check out the rear ones.

good luck.

edit: I guessed 93 325i and I was right. haha. good luck again.

#7 ·
You'd know after a little driving if you had a hole in your block, for sure. I'd check the hoses.

#8 ·
Plus, I think the coolant would be burned up in the engine anyways, Ill check the hoses, but HEY someone said check the heater core hose?

It's still leaking when im not using my heater, cause I obviously dont use my heater in the summer lol :cheers

#10 ·
Check the coolant level first. You need to make sure that's par at all times. If it gets too low and you're on the highway you'll have a shitty day. It doesn't matter what part of your car you are or aren't using. If a hose connects it to a fluid source, no matter what that source is, you can still have leaks.

#12 ·
I wouldn't say it's impossible, but I would say unlikely because if it was, you'd have more side effects than just a leak. It doesn't seem like it would be the block, but you can never be too careful. Once again, check the coolant level at all times until your problem is solved.

#14 ·
Right, that is why I said it is unlikely to be the block. But you can never be too careful. It could be a crack or something and could get a lot worse really quickly. Check everything else first, but if you can't find any hose leakages, don't ignore the possibility of the block.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.