Help: Conforti Chip install gone bad. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2006, 06:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: '95 BMW 325is
Photos:
toymachine595 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Help: Conforti Chip install gone bad.

Ok So recently I had installed a UUC System U Single Canister cat-back on my '95 325is. After this upgrade I decided to order a Conforti chip. It arrived days later so I disconnected the battery and I immediately installed it. I hooked up the battery again and went to start the car. The car would turn over but wouldn't start. After many attempts I finally decided to throw my stock chip back in. I figured maybe they had made a mistake and sent me the wrong chip. So once I had everything back together including my stock chip, I started the car. The car immediately started but during idle about every 25-30 seconds it would sputter and the rpms would drop and would sometimes rebound but other times it would stall. I let it run for about 15 minutes and the whole time it would keep sputtering. I took it for a 5 minute ride and parked it once again and it still kept doing the same thing. I figured since I disconnected my battery and played with the computer, that maybe the Idle Air Control valve was faulting and the computer was just trying to re-learn itself but I thought after at least 20 minutes it should have worked itself out. Plus of course, by disconnecting the battery (not thinking ahead), my damn radio is locked out now. So now I have some problems on my hand. Sorry for the long story but I'm trying to provide everyone with the exact details in case some one has gone through this before, or knows any information that could help me out. So really I'm wondering a few things: Do you think that the idle problem is just a simple computer re-learning process or a major problem that stemmed from something else (although before the attempted computer upgrade my car ran excellent)? Also I wasn't thinking ahead when I disconnected the battery, (and it obviously resulted in the radio lock out) and of course I don't have the code, so I'm not sure of the process I need to follow in order to get the code or to simply solve this pain in the ass problem. After all that hopefully someone could help me out or maybe have any info that would be useful. I just hope the running problem isn't anything major, 'cause I would hate to find out that in an attempt to upgrade my car that I actually ended up screwing it up majorly. Thanks for anything you guys can come up with. I appreciate your time.
toymachine595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2006, 01:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
ex owner/admin

Car: turbo e36 325/s50 and e46 330xi
Photos:
Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
damn, sorry to hear, have you contacted turnermotorsports or conforti regarding it? i remember when i put my new conforti chip in it took a few times to get it started but it eventually started. i cant really speculate what it is as it could be quite a few things. call conforti first to find out what they say, they are experts with DME issues so youll be able to get some decent information from them. as for the radio code, go to the local dealership and get it from them. good luck keep us updated. and welcome to werkz
Old 06-12-2006, 05:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired administrator

Car:
Photos:
triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
you sure you got the chip for your DME? double check the numbers.

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
triggrhaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car: '95 BMW 325is
Photos:
toymachine595 is on a distinguished road
Update

Alright so once the first chip was found to not work I second guessed myself and figured that it was something I did wrong. So as you said, Furious, I called Turner Motor Sport the next day. And I have to say that I've never dealt with a better company in my life. The guy I talked to, within a matter of two minutes, cleared everything up. He checked the info on my car and double checked numbers for me and finally decided it must have been a mix up on the chip they sent me. He apologized on their behalf and said he would have another chip out to me by the end of the week. Needless to say, I received the chip two days later, no questions asked. I threw the chip in and she started right up.
So overall I'm extremely impressed with the gains from the chip and the excellent service of TMS.
The idle problem is still a factor, and I checked some troubleshooting threads, so I'm gonna try to take out the Idle Control Valve and clean it up. Hopefully I'll be back in good order.
Again thanks for the input, I'm learning quickly that this forum is a gonna be a great help.
Later
toymachine595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)