Help! Car will not run! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 05:07 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sicnick325i is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Help! Car will not run!

First off, my '92 e36 w/ M50 has 225k on it. Now that that is out in the open, The car has been in my family since it was new, so I know it has been well maintained and and all of that. I have replaced basicaly replaced/repaired everything except the engine...even the body where the rear subframe torked out of the body on 2.5 of the 4 mounts. So we have been threw a lot together.
(every bimmer-head loves a good togetherness kinda story)

...on with the problem.

My bimmer has been sitting for about the last 6 months due to needing to replace the coil packs & plugs.

I replaced the coil packs & plugs, charged my battery and it started right up! It ran for 20min and died! I tried for a while to diagnose the problem ie: Tested fuel pump, removed hose at fuel rail to see the gas being pumped, Tested the voltage at the pump & everything checked out. I was up against a wall and about to order another fuel pump when I decided to reset the computer by crossing the batt terminals(without the battery connected of course) Waalaa! started right up! hopped in it, took it around the block and as I was pulling back into my driveway and she died yet again.

I removed the batt, went threw the proccess of reseting the terminals and BAM! started again.

...so I let it idle up to temp, shortly after getting up to oper temp, It starting Idleing all crazy and died.

With the ignition in the on position I noticed a "click, clickedy, click click" coming from the under the hood. Upon inspection my airflow sensor was where part of the sound was coming from. There was also another "clickity" farther in twards the Idle controll valve, but I do not think that the ICV is making the sound.

I hope it is not my computer, but that is where my thoughts are taking me. Does anyone have any idea what could be the cause?

P.S. sorry for the long post.
Thanks,
Nick

'92 e36 325i M50

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 01:03 AM
General Chaos

SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
starter?

and the rough idle could be the icv
#3 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 12:02 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
The starter is fine. I cleaned the ICV as per the DIY on this site and did not notice a difference. I also cleaned the PCV valve and replaced the small vacume hose coming from the valve. It acts like it is not getting gas, but when I reset the computer It starts right up and runs for 10min or so then the idle gets out of control and stalls the engine. I am planning on replacing the ICV this weekend. If that doesen't work I will look at the MAF sensor, and then the ECU. It is a puzzling problem.

'92 e36 325i M50

#4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 12:36 PM
General Chaos

SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicnick325i
The starter is fine. I cleaned the ICV as per the DIY on this site and did not notice a difference. I also cleaned the PCV valve and replaced the small vacume hose coming from the valve. It acts like it is not getting gas, but when I reset the computer It starts right up and runs for 10min or so then the idle gets out of control and stalls the engine. I am planning on replacing the ICV this weekend. If that doesen't work I will look at the MAF sensor, and then the ECU. It is a puzzling problem.
yea sounds wierd. btw, have u ran ur codes yet?? 3 ways to do it

1) put the car in the on position then quickly press the gas pedal 5 times with a .5 second gap inbetween each pump...the check engine light will start blinking codes for u, ill look for the DIY link..

2) buy a scan tool

3)go to autozone,have em run ur codes
#5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 01:37 PM
my car is red

94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to 94BMW325i Send a message via Yahoo to 94BMW325i
starter? I'm confused, if the car is running how could it be starter related it only engages to start the car not when its running right?

I remember when I got my isuzu pickup as a project, the car had been sitting for a while. It ran similarly to how you described. So I drained the fuel tank, the stuff was disgusting, then put some fresh gas in and it didnt die on me. Have you checked to see if you have a really badly clogged fuel filter, or anything?

member and partial creator of pimpin the auto club
#6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 02:19 PM
4th Gear Member

bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to bimmerguy82
you said it was sitting for 6 months? maybe bad gas?

BMWcrazy

|AA stage 1 software| UUC light flywheel and clutch| UUC EVO 3 ssk | K&N Intake | Ebay Headers |

BMWCCA member#407674

Founding member of the hit 145 mph in my almost stock 325i BMW club.
#7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 02:40 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I would first look at changing the fuel filter.

#8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 05:40 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Changed the fuel filter first thing. I also put new gas in it. I am interested in the DIY code thing if someone has the link.

I will try draining the gas tank, that might be part of the problem.

...everytime i reset the computer It starts fine! then chokes after 10-20min.

'92 e36 325i M50

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)