HELP!! Car choked out on the highway - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 08:43 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
vic318ic is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy HELP!! Car choked out on the highway

Hey,

I was driving home this afternoon. Typical boston driving, i was in the tunnel gettin off at my exit as I dropped the car into neutral to brake and downshift. All of a sudden all my ignition lights kick on and I got no response when i gave it gas. I quickly put on my hazards as i was coasting through the exit, I quickly restarted the ignition and gave it some gas and was able to get it back in gear.

I thought it was a fluke at first, like some really weird malfunction. Then as i was getting off another exit and put the in neutral again my idle dropped really low and the engine sputtered and eventually choked. I was luckily at a stop light so i just restarted the car again and had to manually balance my clutch/gas while keeping the car in 1st gear. It proceeded to happen at every stop light i hit.

What do you think the problem could be? I havent replaced my Air filter in awhile. Could that be it? the engine isnt breathing enough? I read a couple other threads with people indicating that it could be either the ICV or the O2 sensor.

Any thoughts? I REAAALLY dont want to take it to the "Stealer". Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 11:58 PM
1st Gear Member

polaris448 is an unknown quantity at this point
cps or icv. i got my cps wet and it would not stay running at low revs. i waited until it dried out and no more problems. just an off question. were you using your AC? if you were i would lean towards the icv. and also did your check engine light come on?
#3 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 10:11 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris448
cps or icv. i got my cps wet and it would not stay running at low revs. i waited until it dried out and no more problems. just an off question. were you using your AC? if you were i would lean towards the icv. and also did your check engine light come on?
First off, what does CPS and ICV (inter connector valve?) stand for, just in case that might be the issue i can look into it further.

It was a dry day yesterday so i dont think it could be moisture unless something is leaking. No i wasnt using my AC, but I did have my heater on full blast. Yes my check engine light came on when the car stalled out.
#4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 10:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Gkamysz is an unknown quantity at this point
ICV is the Idle Control Valve. This is probably the problem. Especially if the idle has been rough or fluctuating lately. O2 sensor would probably show a check engine light. You can try cleaning the ICV, but it sounds like it may be completely dead.

Greg

97 328iS, Manual, Stock

Last edited by Gkamysz; 06-06-2006 at 10:37 AM.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 04:53 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Wanted to post a quick follow up since yesterdays' fun filled adventure. I went and started the car this morning. Of course it sputtered and died on my initial start. So then i started it and gave it a little gas and reved it between 2500 and 3000 rpm for about 20 seconds and eased up on the gas. The idel was hovering at about 1k rpm. Stayed there for a little then dropped to about 8-900ish. I didnt have much time so i turned the car off and went to work (via train). Before i invest in an new icv, do yo think i should give it a shot at cleaning it first and see what my results are?

Oh and by the way, the check engine light was on when i was able to start it and let it idle.
#6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 05:39 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Im going to clean my ICV tomorrow morning

I found a great doc on another thread that lead to a great step by step DIY. I decided to cut and paste the process into a doc file so i can print it and have it handy while i take out the ICV. I've attached the doc that i put together in case anyone else runs into an issue with the ICV and wants a nice printable write up to refrence as they're doing the work.

Note: This write up is a for an M42 engine on a 318i (mines an 318ic with an M42 engine)

Arg.. they limit the file size to 19.7k! on this forum. The doc with all the pictures for every step was close to a meg. I tried zipping it but only reduced it to 887k..

If you want a copy send me an email or a message and i'll send it to you.
#7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 07:32 PM
n00b

LtcOliverNorth is on a distinguished road
Definitely try cleaning it before replacing!

http://www.unitedbimmer.com/kb-e36-icvcleaning.php
#8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 09:20 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Update: I had ordered a new air filter a little while back, but never got around to installing it. This morning I decided to do so, partially to see if it might help my bad idle problem. I popped the hoood and undid the clips for the airfilter.

As im doing that, I look over to where the manifold is over the ICV and I realize that one of the hoses that goes to the ICV is completely detached! I tried putting the hose back on, but noticed the hose is sort of cut on one side. I was able to fiddle it back on, I had some duct tape that i used around the hose to keep it secure for the time being. I started the car and let it idle and sure enough i got my steady idle back!

Im still going to clean my ICV when i get that hose replaced. Speaking of that hose, does anyone know where i can get it? I didnt write down the part number off of it.
#9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 09:25 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I found a picture of the hose i was referring to from the great DIY icv cleaning guide:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=454501

specifically, this picture:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...eanICVcopy.jpg

The hose that was broken is the middle one.
#10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 10:21 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I ended up buying both. One less thing to worry about later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)