Help! Blue-Green Liquid leaking into my cabin around footwell area!? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 02:24 AM
quality

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Help! Blue-Green Liquid leaking into my cabin around footwell area!?

The Situation:
1) I washed my car thursday at a trusted andf tried auto/manual carwash.

2) I did over 300 miles of Highway driving between thursday and tonight.

3) Last night a female passenger spilled coffee w/ soymilk in it around the passenger carpet, seat, and the cupholder area. I cleaned it out and did not notice any stains on carpet or footwell area at the time. Last night it also started raining really hard...after midnight all thru the night until around noon today.

4) I drove thru the pouring rain to the local mall this morning w/ a male passenger and he had an yellow and brown umbrella around the footwell area. He had no drinks nor did I have any drinks or food in the car.

5)Tonight I noticed my glovebox light was NOT working. Then a minute later I noticed these stains...on both sides of the car.

6)I checked my coolant and washerfluids (the only blue-green liquids in my car that i know of) for any leaks or anywhere it could get from the engine bay into that area. After searching I could not find any spills or leakage. My coolant and washer fluid was alittle lower than I'd expect them to be. Also today whiles driving in the rain I may have sprayed my washer fluid to clean my window...which is normal for me when it rains..but I don't recall doing that today at all.

Okay, The million dollar question, what is this liquid?

It had a , slight mildew like odor to it (but that could have been the carpet that was still damp from the rain water from my friend's shoes) and it was already dried into the carpet when I saw it tonight...I did not recall seeing it earlier today...and it's something I would have definately noticed. Also when you peel back the black footwell area-upper-shield the liquid does not appear to be dribbling from behind the shield because there are no stains on the carpet there. But more likely the liquid is coming out of the vents or another opening on the black shield.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 03:40 AM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
hmm looks like washer fluid to me if i were to guess a liquid it could be.....at first i thought (before i saw the pics) that something was bleeding from being wet, or some sort of electrical corrosion, but the pics threw me way off, del im not too sure, can you get up in there and see if you can find the source of the leak?> its really hard to tell

#3 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 08:34 AM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
(Thread Starter)
well i checked it out and there seems to be no source where there is like puddling of the liquid above the black shield. In fact the carpet that continues up along to where the microfilter area is was dry and had no stains at all.

Whatever it is it seems to be coming from directly under glovebox area even though the wiring and area there is dry.

#4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 09:06 AM
quality

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Someone said it looks like coolant leaking from a "blown" heater core.

I don't know what the heater core is?

There is no parts number for "heater core".

is it a combination of pipes and gaskets in the coolant/radiator system?

#5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 10:13 AM
4th Gear Member

WardJ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to WardJ Send a message via MSN to WardJ Send a message via Yahoo to WardJ
del it could be coming from your windshield?

'85 325e
'Arrest Me Red'
mods to come:
Window Tint
New Badges - Check!
Muffler - Check! - Ansa free flow
New Radio
Sport Shocks - Bilstein
Keyless Entry + Alarm - BMW Security Systems
Power Flow Intake

THE founding member of "i don't hate on del"
#6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 11:21 AM
quality

Garage
(Thread Starter)
No, actually my coolant is the BMW brand and it looks blue-green.

I think in one of the coolant heater core hoses or gaskets leaking.

#7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 01:42 PM
3rd Gear Member

tomctx is an unknown quantity at this point
Heater core or hoses would be my guess. The core, or "heat exchanger" is under the dash and is what heats the cabin. Is there an "antifreeze" smell in the cabin? Hard to explain the smell, but no one ever forgets what it is after the first time. Good luck .

1995 325I, window tint, K&N, debaffled airbox, BMW #104 wheels, Nighthawk low beams, smoked side markers, smoked corners, smoked taillights, M3 stlye heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.
#8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 03:03 PM
quality

Garage
(Thread Starter)
no my cabin smells fine. Even the vents blow warm clean smelling air.

#9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 04:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Gator is an unknown quantity at this point
If it continues to leak when you drive the car and it's not raining, it's got to be the heater core as that is the only thing that contains fluid on the interior side of the firewall. Unfortunately, it's a real pain to change as so much has to be removed to get it out.
If it doesn't continue to leak during fair weather, then it's most likely your windshield or one of the rubber gaskets that seal the holes that the the wires and hoses run through. If it doesn't smell or feel like antifreeze, the green color could be from the rain water leaching the dye out of something green behind the dash.
#10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 06:36 PM
quality

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Yeah, I just checked my coolant tank with a long skewer dipstick, after it dawned on me that if the system is leaking then my coolant would be low.

My coolant was incredibly low...about 1-2 inches deep.
Then again the car's engine is cold. Yesterday after I saw the stains, I visually checked my coolant and saw it was a little low but still I could see it was much higher-about hafway up the tank.

It hasn't leaked into the cabin since that first time (if is it coolant) nor do I see a puddle under the car or under the engine bay.

what does that mean?

#11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Gator is an unknown quantity at this point
If it hasn't continued to leak, it's NOT the heater core. Once the heater core starts to leak, it doesn't stop.
Most likely it's the windshield or some other seal that failed and let in the rain.
#12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 02:52 AM
n00b

chico_kj_23 is on a distinguished road
is the stain dried on, or still damp. cause if its wet still, its coolant. if its dry, then its somthing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrhaapi
The manifold connects to the head, the head to the block. Using the word "manifold" to describe the block would be like calling a girl's face her vagina. Sure you could try to fuck it but she'll probably get mad and bite your dick off.
#13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 09:11 AM
quality

Garage
(Thread Starter)
oh yes!
The leak stopped since the day i saw it. When I first saw the stain it was already dry. So I'm hoping that you are right. The only thing that would lead me to think it's the heater core is that my coolant was awfully low last night when I checked (engine cold).

But that could also be due to the fact that I haven't refilled or check my coolant since May 2005.

Everything else points in the direction that my coolant or heater core is still good.

-there is no more leaking
-my cabin heat & AC works fine
-there was never odor of coolant present.
-there is no coolant puddles or leaks from under the car
-also the leaking did not look as if it was from something that was under pressure and burst out..it was more of a dribble.

#14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 12:20 PM
3rd Gear Member

rej487 has a spectacular aura about rej487 has a spectacular aura about rej487 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to rej487
Yikes! Sorry to hear about that crap Delmarco.

But if we ever do figure out wtf it is I would love to know for all intensive purposes!

1993 BMW 325I - Alpina White
#15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 02:40 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
I say you just go to the store and get some blue/green dye and finish the job. I think it would look "off-the-hook" and "tizzight" plus it would help the dizzle to get the bizzles.

So I take it that none of the vents had any residue of this stuff on there did they? Can you take the vent cover off and stick your hand or a rag in there to see if there's any inthere? If not then you might have a great leak coming from somewhere mysterious... can't wait to find out the cause of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)