BMW Werkz banner

Help!!!a Big Hole In The Flexible Hose

1K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  NeverLeaned 
#1 ·
Greetings everyone,

This is for a 1996 BMW 328I.
Upon inspection today, I notice the plastic hose that is to the right of the oil filter housing has a couple of big hole in it. This plastic hose has a scoop-like attachment that attaches to this black thing in front of the car (above the radiator) and the other end connects to some type of pump. This pump has a belt connected to it. (could it be the altenator?)... It was dirty inside.

What is the purpose of this hose? What is the name of it? Should I be concern?
There doesnt seem to be a filter on it. It just connects to the front black cover (that is above the radiator) and the end is connected to that pump.

I know it is not the air intake hose because I see the hose (closer on the driver side connecting to the air box (vertical filter)), connecting to the airbox, then another hose connected to the engine.

Thanks everyone!!

See less See more
#2 ·
If you click on the picture:
It is located to the right of the red circle. You can see the connection made to the black-cover thing above the radiator and the end going down. I believe the other end is connected to the altenator....

#3 ·
Right now, I've wrapped it in duct tape until I can get it replace. Hopefully by the end of the week...What kind of damage is it doing to the engine? If it is connected to the alernator, what kinda of damage is it doing to the alternator? Does the other end have a filter on it?

Thanks Everyone!!!!

#4 ·
The picture with the 640X480 belongs to EL PRESIDENTE.
I'm just using it to illustrate where the black hose connects. One end connects to this back cover (that is above the radiator) and the end connects to this pump (i think it is the altenator)...

#5 ·
downsize the picture so I can see it! lol!

The hose in the middle of the circle is the radiator return line from the water pump. If there was a hole in this, anti-freeze would be all over the place. thats all I can make out in the picture, but it doesn't sound like what your talking about.

The "hose" going to the alternator is some sort of ram air system to keep alternator cool. This runs from the top of radiator down into the back of the alternator. I don't think its a big deal to have this damaged.... duct tape should be fine to hold it together.

#6 ·
Originally posted by NeverLeaned@Nov 21 2004, 01:51 PM
downsize the picture so I can see it! lol!

The hose in the middle of the circle is the radiator return line from the water pump. If there was a hole in this, anti-freeze would be all over the place. thats all I can make out in the picture, but it doesn't sound like what your talking about.

The "hose" going to the alternator is some sort of ram air system to keep alternator cool. This runs from the top of radiator down into the back of the alternator. I don't think its a big deal to have this damaged.... duct tape should be fine to hold it together.
[snapback]234789[/snapback]​

The top picture is an old picture when I had a leaking coolant. The problem is resolved. Dont look inside the circle. The hose that I am referring to is next to the oil filter housing. It is to the right of the red circle, not inside it.

I guess it is the hose that is going from the black cover (above the radiator) to to the alternator. Does it matter if the inside of the hose is dirty? Will it damage the Altenator?

Thanks

#8 ·
Originally posted by kvadgama@Nov 21 2004, 02:58 PM
I think what ur talking about is air duct from front grill to the alternator to keep alternator cool. The one you have circled does not go to alternator. That is for the coolent and if you had big hole in there, say Sayonara to your bimmer.
[snapback]234840[/snapback]​

The picture with red circle is an old picture. Please look to the right of the circle, not inside the circle. If you look to the right of the red circle, you see the outline of the tube connecting to the black cover (on top of the radiator) and goes to a pump (i guess its the alternator).

What are the reprecussion for having a damage hose? Will it damage the alternator? Does the alternator have a way to filter out the incoming air? Will dirt and debris suck in damage the alternator (given that there is no filter connected to the other end). Is a filter at the alternator end?

Thankls

#9 ·
Ok, I see it now. Yes, that is part of the cooling system for the alternater. These are the first cars I've seen a snorkel type system for the alt.

its there for a reason and if you don't fix it the lack of cooling will lead to premature alternator failure.

The duct tap should be fine to keep it functioning properly. I would look into replacing it if you don't want a eyesore in your engine compartment.

#10 ·
Originally posted by NeverLeaned@Nov 21 2004, 03:21 PM
Ok, I see it now. Yes, that is part of the cooling system for the alternater. These are the first cars I've seen a snorkel type system for the alt.

its there for a reason and if you don't fix it the lack of cooling will lead to premature alternator failure.

The duct tap should be fine to keep it functioning properly. I would look into replacing it if you don't want a eyesore in your engine compartment.
[snapback]234853[/snapback]​

I've posted updated pictures..
Is there a filter that goes on the other end of this tube? How does it filter the incoming air for the alternator? Would dirt and dust suck in this hose damage the alternator?

Thanks

#11 ·
There is not filter on it (well on my 96 328 at least) It just moves cold air from the front of the car to the alternator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.