Help...92 318I Gas Engine Sounds Like a Diesel ? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 07:18 PM
DougJP

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
All,

I have a 1992 318i (5 Speed) with the M42 motor. All of a sudden the engine sounds like a diesel engine when running especially at idle. When the engine is revved up the sound isn't quite as loud as it is at idle. I have tried to listen to the engine to see where the noise is coming from but am unable to isolate the noise. There are no warning indicator lights on on the dash. The engine still runs well and if the noise wasn't there you would never know anything was wrong with it. I have checked all the fluids and they all seem to be ok. The engine has about 180K on it. I drove it to Classic BMW service center yesterday and one of the mechanics listened to the sound and immediately told me to turn the engine off. He said they would need to hook it up to a diagnostic machine and said it would cost roughly $300 to find out what the problem was. Not wanting to pay $300, I drove the car home. The engine idles ok and accelerates fine, but the engine definitely doesn't sound right. Since the engine seems to run so well I am hoping the noise isn't anything major, but it sure doesn't sound good. The diesel engine noise starts as soon as the engine turns over and doesn't go away until the engine is shutoff.

Has anyone had this happen to their car ? If so, what was the cause of the noise. I haven't begun to take the engine apart yet and was hoping to get some expertise from this message board.

I appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Doug

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 10:41 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Spook is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, I'm afraid all I can offer is a "Welcome to the board"...I thought of a muffler when reading your description, but if you believe it's coming from the engine itself, I can't think of anything else. I'm sure one or three of the people on this board have some ideas, though.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Reedalicious is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Reedalicious
One or three? Not two?

#4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 02:36 AM
Neutral Member

Spook is an unknown quantity at this point
Nah, the second person replying (in between the two who know what they're talking about--i.e. not having anything to do with myself) would likely just throw in some unrelated comment...lol j/k

Actually, I just meant that more than one or two people on here are vastly more experienced than the average car owner on such subjects, and I thought it logical that a few might reply to help on this.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member

I realize that I, just like to be difficult sometimes.

hehe

#6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member

I also, put commas where, ever i want,.

#7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 09:50 AM
W00T

Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Numark318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougJP
All,

I have a 1992 318i (5 Speed) with the M42 motor. All of a sudden the engine sounds like a diesel engine when running especially at idle. When the engine is revved up the sound isn't quite as loud as it is at idle. I have tried to listen to the engine to see where the noise is coming from but am unable to isolate the noise. There are no warning indicator lights on on the dash. The engine still runs well and if the noise wasn't there you would never know anything was wrong with it. I have checked all the fluids and they all seem to be ok. The engine has about 180K on it. I drove it to Classic BMW service center yesterday and one of the mechanics listened to the sound and immediately told me to turn the engine off. He said they would need to hook it up to a diagnostic machine and said it would cost roughly $300 to find out what the problem was. Not wanting to pay $300, I drove the car home. The engine idles ok and accelerates fine, but the engine definitely doesn't sound right. Since the engine seems to run so well I am hoping the noise isn't anything major, but it sure doesn't sound good. The diesel engine noise starts as soon as the engine turns over and doesn't go away until the engine is shutoff.

Has anyone had this happen to their car ? If so, what was the cause of the noise. I haven't begun to take the engine apart yet and was hoping to get some expertise from this message board.

I appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Doug
valve noise, or lack of oil made my engine sound like a diesel. My guess would be u need more/new oil. try a thicker grade.

**edit
i just realize this thread is two years old..lol

#8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 09:51 AM
General Chaos

SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
holy year and a half old thread batman!!!

#9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 09:50 AM
7th Gear (SMG)

4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
I wonder if he still has that car...

Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 11:40 AM
Neutral Member

walshja is an unknown quantity at this point
well, I keep throwing this out on other posts, but my car, 1994 325iC, started recently sounding like a deisel engine, but runs perfectly.

took it to my mechanic, and he instantly said it was my vanos.

he asked me if I changed my oil regularly, which I do, and then said many people fix the problem, which costs hundreds of dollars, and others just live with it.

I am living with it, but I hate the sound.

same as this author, at idle, the noise is very noticable, but in the car and moving you cannot tell there is a noise.

has anyone else had vanos problem?

and I am not even sure the vanos could be this authors problem, cause in his year was there even a vanos?

1994 325iC, 130k miles
#11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 11:49 AM
7th Gear (SMG)

4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
I think 92 was last non-vanos? I don't remember... Hmm... I think... I don't remember. Never mind.

Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 03:14 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
Yes you do have vanos. Vanos started in the Summer Production months of 1992 (I believe around 7/92 if i recall correctly). As to your problem I have no clue. Good luck.
#13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 11:52 PM
n00b

vic318ic is on a distinguished road
I just posted about having similar problem as this. Did anyone solve the "diesel" engine sound? I think i've been over my time for an oil change? Could something as simple as an oil change cuase the engine to run this loud? I have a convertible and I dont want to drop my top cuz its so loud and annoying that i dont want to be listening to it everytime i stop (i live in a city with lots of lights).
#14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 11:56 PM
3rd Gear Member

tomctx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evrwyntr
I think 92 was last non-vanos? I don't remember... Hmm... I think... I don't remember. Never mind.
He has a 318. No 318 has VANOS. Some, however, have DISA.

1995 325I, window tint, K&N, debaffled airbox, BMW #104 wheels, Nighthawk low beams, smoked side markers, smoked corners, smoked taillights, M3 stlye heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)