BMW Werkz banner

Help...92 318I Gas Engine Sounds Like a Diesel ?

12K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  tomctx 
G
#1 ·
All,

I have a 1992 318i (5 Speed) with the M42 motor. All of a sudden the engine sounds like a diesel engine when running especially at idle. When the engine is revved up the sound isn't quite as loud as it is at idle. I have tried to listen to the engine to see where the noise is coming from but am unable to isolate the noise. There are no warning indicator lights on on the dash. The engine still runs well and if the noise wasn't there you would never know anything was wrong with it. I have checked all the fluids and they all seem to be ok. The engine has about 180K on it. I drove it to Classic BMW service center yesterday and one of the mechanics listened to the sound and immediately told me to turn the engine off. He said they would need to hook it up to a diagnostic machine and said it would cost roughly $300 to find out what the problem was. Not wanting to pay $300, I drove the car home. The engine idles ok and accelerates fine, but the engine definitely doesn't sound right. Since the engine seems to run so well I am hoping the noise isn't anything major, but it sure doesn't sound good. The diesel engine noise starts as soon as the engine turns over and doesn't go away until the engine is shutoff.

Has anyone had this happen to their car ? If so, what was the cause of the noise. I haven't begun to take the engine apart yet and was hoping to get some expertise from this message board.

I appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Doug

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, I'm afraid all I can offer is a "Welcome to the board"...I thought of a muffler when reading your description, but if you believe it's coming from the engine itself, I can't think of anything else. I'm sure one or three of the people on this board have some ideas, though. :)

#4 ·
Nah, the second person replying (in between the two who know what they're talking about--i.e. not having anything to do with myself) would likely just throw in some unrelated comment...lol j/k

Actually, I just meant that more than one or two people on here are vastly more experienced than the average car owner on such subjects, and I thought it logical that a few might reply to help on this. :)

#7 ·
DougJP said:
All,

I have a 1992 318i (5 Speed) with the M42 motor. All of a sudden the engine sounds like a diesel engine when running especially at idle. When the engine is revved up the sound isn't quite as loud as it is at idle. I have tried to listen to the engine to see where the noise is coming from but am unable to isolate the noise. There are no warning indicator lights on on the dash. The engine still runs well and if the noise wasn't there you would never know anything was wrong with it. I have checked all the fluids and they all seem to be ok. The engine has about 180K on it. I drove it to Classic BMW service center yesterday and one of the mechanics listened to the sound and immediately told me to turn the engine off. He said they would need to hook it up to a diagnostic machine and said it would cost roughly $300 to find out what the problem was. Not wanting to pay $300, I drove the car home. The engine idles ok and accelerates fine, but the engine definitely doesn't sound right. Since the engine seems to run so well I am hoping the noise isn't anything major, but it sure doesn't sound good. The diesel engine noise starts as soon as the engine turns over and doesn't go away until the engine is shutoff.

Has anyone had this happen to their car ? If so, what was the cause of the noise. I haven't begun to take the engine apart yet and was hoping to get some expertise from this message board.

I appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Doug
valve noise, or lack of oil made my engine sound like a diesel. My guess would be u need more/new oil. try a thicker grade.

**edit
i just realize this thread is two years old..lol

#10 ·
well, I keep throwing this out on other posts, but my car, 1994 325iC, started recently sounding like a deisel engine, but runs perfectly.

took it to my mechanic, and he instantly said it was my vanos.

he asked me if I changed my oil regularly, which I do, and then said many people fix the problem, which costs hundreds of dollars, and others just live with it.

I am living with it, but I hate the sound.

same as this author, at idle, the noise is very noticable, but in the car and moving you cannot tell there is a noise.

has anyone else had vanos problem?

and I am not even sure the vanos could be this authors problem, cause in his year was there even a vanos?

#13 ·
I just posted about having similar problem as this. Did anyone solve the "diesel" engine sound? I think i've been over my time for an oil change? Could something as simple as an oil change cuase the engine to run this loud? I have a convertible and I dont want to drop my top cuz its so loud and annoying that i dont want to be listening to it everytime i stop (i live in a city with lots of lights).

#14 ·
4evrwyntr said:
I think 92 was last non-vanos? I don't remember... Hmm... I think... I don't remember. Never mind.
He has a 318. No 318 has VANOS. Some, however, have DISA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.