help.. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2009, 11:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: its a 94 bmw 318 is. no mods.
Photos:
dman24 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy help..

ok last night i was riding over to a friends and i pushed the clutch in and it didnt disengage. so my car died. i started it back up and then it was all gravy. but then it happened like ten mintutes later..... then on the way home it didnt do it any. but it would not idol at all. i didnt have any trouble with my car the day before or even that day. please help me.. and thank you for any advice.
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2009, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 95 318IS,CTS-V, 97 328IS, 97 M3
Photos:
qualicas is on a distinguished road
Sounds like your clutch isn't disengaging. I assume that when you say it wouldn't idle, you had the car in gear? Does it idle when you start it in neutral?
Lets assume it does and you only have one problem. Most obvious reason for clutch not disengaging is the slave cylinder isn't working. Crawl under the car and see if there is fluid running out of the slave cylinder or if it is wet. If so, you probably need to replace it. If it isn't wet, try pumping the clutch several times then see if you can put it into gear when running in neutral. If it works then, it could be the master cylinder causing problems.
qualicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car: its a 94 bmw 318 is. no mods.
Photos:
dman24 is on a distinguished road
well thank you for your help. however this is the first time ive got on in a week or so and just now seen your sugestion. but today my car was running fine and then i stoppped and the clutch wouldnt disengage and my car dies. i started it back up and then it wouldnt go in to gear. i pumped it a couple of times and nothing happened. so i tried again and then my gears just kept grinding so i started to push it and i got tired so i shoved it in to first and i started going and now my clutch will disengage but my clutch petal kinda feels like it shakes or someithing when i take off. and it grinds going into second ans sometimes first and it popped outta reverse when i was backing up. so??? yeah i need major advice on this.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 95 318IS,CTS-V, 97 328IS, 97 M3
Photos:
qualicas is on a distinguished road
Refer to my original answer. Jamming it into gear with the clutch not released means you haven't been doing transmission any good. Replacing the slave cylinder would be easy, replacing the transmission is much more expensive.
qualicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)