help.. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 10:21 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bmwKing95 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to bmwKing95
(Thread Starter)
help..

well i just bought a battery for my 96 328i and it has been sittin 4 a year..as i rev'd ma car i noticed it temp guage rose and it smoke from left side of the engine idk wats wrong n i wanna find out..my friend told me the car is gunna need a tune up and mayb also a thermastat i really dnt no i just wanna drive it... lol reply plzz need help ASAP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Neutral Member

Fivemanarmy is on a distinguished road
STOP you will have to treat with extra super care!!!! You may have done damage already. It will have to be hand cranked after you pour oil in from the top. Your engine is completely dry of lubricant as well you have to insure that your oil pump works and you have to check the rest of your components too. Consult expert advice immediately!!!
#3 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 12:29 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
^^What he said and more. Did you empty the car of all fluids before putting it up for 4 years? Either way EVERY fluid needs to be drained and new put in. New gas, some fuel injector cleaner wouldn't hurt either, I'd recommend 44k.

Do not DO NOT turn the key on that car again until this is done.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 01:25 AM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
... Sorry It was hard for me to understand that post.... What I got from it is:
> The car sat for a year(why did it mechanical issue?)
> You replaced the Battery and started the car.
> You then Rev'ed the car(How high and be HONEST it will help more)
> The Tempature Raised(How high aswell member Honest?)

1) REPLACE THE OIL first....
2) Replace the coolant

> how fast did the temp raise? Where was the smoke comming from? tail pipe? What was the color and what did it smell like? did the car run and idle smooth?

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 11:17 AM
Neutral Member

bmwKing95 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to bmwKing95
(Thread Starter)
it sat for 1 year because it was overheating when my uncle had it i just got the car frm my uncle recently..the battery was completely dead so i changed it i revd the car because i wanted to hear the engine n how the car sounds revd it to six and when i did the temperature moved little by little and then it smoked the oil by da way is terrible its all brown n slimy imma change that..the car rann for a while nand i think it was the tail pipe smoke
#6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 01:13 PM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
Wow, never rev any engine to 6 after even standing for 24hrs from cold, you maybe ok, you maybe not! drain all fluids as in post#4, then sort the old problem of the over heating, which may be the head gasket,

Good luck.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 12:54 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
So the car was overheating... you parked it... did nothing to protect it for a year... you waited a year... didn't change any fluids... then turned it on and rev'd it to 6 grand?

*long tiraid Dr. Cox style about being stupid... something along the following lines.. *

Now that all of that is out of the way... on to being constructive-ish...

Now hopefully you didn't know better. Yes, replace the thermostat as well as EVERY FLUID in your car. Then and only then turn the key. In fact mail the key to me and take pictures of everything you do to the car. When you're done I'll mail you the key back. PM for address. Then if it still overheats check out your water pump, radiator, hoses, etc. In fact go ahead and check the hoses and see what kind of shape they are in at this point. I'm guessing not good.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 04:50 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwKing95 View Post
it sat for 1 year because it was overheating when my uncle had it i just got the car frm my uncle recently..the battery was completely dead so i changed it i revd the car because i wanted to hear the engine n how the car sounds revd it to six and when i did the temperature moved little by little and then it smoked the oil by da way is terrible its all brown n slimy imma change that..the car rann for a while nand i think it was the tail pipe smoke
Oil brown & slimy + white smoke coming from the tail pipe = Head gasket!
Is the oil lite brown & foamy? Check for signs of oil in your coolant too, in the radiator!
Did you say that the car was originally overheating & it sat for a year???

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 09-17-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)