Help! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 08:46 AM
5th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
zeaq has a spectacular aura about zeaq has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to zeaq Send a message via MSN to zeaq Send a message via Yahoo to zeaq
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Help!

Can you guys tell me what this indicator indicates? When starting the engine, all indicators go off except for the circle one in the picture. That indicator stays on for 5 seconds. Iíve notice after buying petrol at the station. Can it be overflow of oil/gas?

Thanks in advance.

My BMW 328i- AC Schnitzer Spoiler, Blaupunkt Stereo,Angel eyes(CCFL), M technik Lower Lip.

928 GTS- Stock
Z

Last edited by zeaq; 04-27-2006 at 05:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 09:17 AM
1st Gear Member

theironm0nk is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats actually the sign for oil its the same in every car. you need oil.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 10:00 AM
5th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to zeaq Send a message via MSN to zeaq Send a message via Yahoo to zeaq
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theironm0nk
Thats actually the sign for oil its the same in every car. you need oil.
Iím confused here. That guy just filled it up full. It worries me because the indicator stays on for 5 seconds after filling up the tank overfull. I was thinking of an overflow of oil/gas. Could that be the reasons for the indicator to stay on for 5 seconds?

FYI before starting the engine all I usually wait for some indicator like the ABS etc to go off then Iíll start. The oil indicator and battery would just go off straight away.

My BMW 328i- AC Schnitzer Spoiler, Blaupunkt Stereo,Angel eyes(CCFL), M technik Lower Lip.

928 GTS- Stock
Z
#4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 11:34 AM
Been here a while.

97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
Tell you the truth... I wouldnt really worry about it... as long as it doesnt stay on after you start and work your car... Its fine bro...

Les

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
#5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 12:03 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
The ďoil indicator lightĒ stays on for 5 second after the engine starts. Anywhere I got some advice from other users at UB. They said I should add some more oil in the engine. It indicates low oil level.

Thanks for your help everybody

928 GTS- Stock
Z
#6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 01:34 PM
General Chaos

SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
well if u fill ur oil, and it goes low then u know have a leak, if its still full and shows the light, u might wana check the oil level sensor...

#7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 02:04 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
^^OK. I'll check that. I hope there's no leak or whatsovers.I hope I will only fill the oil in, not the sensor problems, or leak.
I hope I will only fill the oil in, not the sensor problems, or leak. Well if thereís a leak, I could obviously see the oil leak?

928 GTS- Stock
Z
#8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 02:25 PM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Okay...first of all BIG CONFUSION going on here:
In the USA we call Gasoline that goes into the tank "gasoline" and Oil that goes into the engine block "oil"

In Brunei they call the gasoline that goes into the fuel tank "oil"/"petrol" and not gasoline. I have no idea what they call the oil that goes into the engine block.

Anyway we are telling Zeaq to add "oil to his car" and he is adding gasoline to the tank thinking that is what we mean. used:

Zeaq that is your check engine light for an OIL problem inside the Engine block...maybe you need oil in there or something...but it is not you fuel tank.
I could also be your fuel pump failing as well. That was what happened the last time I saw that light go off in a car.

#9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 01:01 AM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Well today I did it. Iím not to sure about it so I drive 4 minutes to the workshop for double check. The mechanic uses the soft cloth to check it and he says the oil level is full and very clean. So thereís no need to add it up.
Then I showed him the indicator at the dashboard. He says it could be the oil sensor/switch. He drove the car up to the lift/ramp and lifts it up. He couldnít find the sensor, so he lifts the ramp down again and found it straight away. Itís a faulty sensor and recommends me to change it at the dealer since they donít have it. Itís not urgent to change it though. Itís just the sensor he says.

928 GTS- Stock
Z
#10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 01:28 AM
General Chaos

hahah i was right

umm if u have the part # i might be able to get it for u cheaper...let me know

#11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 01:31 AM
General Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarco
Okay...first of all BIG CONFUSION going on here:
In the USA we call Gasoline that goes into the tank "gasoline" and Oil that goes into the engine block "oil"

In Brunei they call the gasoline that goes into the fuel tank "oil"/"petrol" and not gasoline. I have no idea what they call the oil that goes into the engine block.

Anyway we are telling Zeaq to add "oil to his car" and he is adding gasoline to the tank thinking that is what we mean. used:

Zeaq that is your check engine light for an OIL problem inside the Engine block...maybe you need oil in there or something...but it is not you fuel tank.
I could also be your fuel pump failing as well. That was what happened the last time I saw that light go off in a car.
wat are u talkin about? didnt u see the light on his dashboard? no confusion, just the dizzle being a fizzle

#12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 03:31 AM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedInfusion
hahah i was right

umm if u have the part # i might be able to get it for u cheaper...let me know
Speed,

Thanks for the offer. But I can get the sensor at lower price in Dubai or somewhere here.
So thereís no need for you to get it.

928 GTS- Stock
Z
#13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 03:10 PM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeaq
Speed,

Thanks for the offer. But I can get the sensor at lower price in Dubai or somewhere here.
So thereís no need for you to get it.
Dubai...home of my future honeymoon

#14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 03:21 PM
General Chaos

never been to dubai, need to visit...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)