Help - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2004, 01:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: London Tube
Photos:
zeaq has a spectacular aura aboutzeaq has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to zeaq Send a message via MSN to zeaq Send a message via Yahoo to zeaq
Today driving suddenly at the dashboard says....."Check control"

At the control---"Brake light switch"----"Check owners manual"...Too bad i don't have the owner manual....

What's that?I'm bit worried....

My BMW 328i- AC Schnitzer Spoiler, Blaupunkt Stereo,Angel eyes(CCFL), M technik Lower Lip.

928 GTS- Stock
Z
zeaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2004, 06:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
Send a message via AIM to zeaq Send a message via MSN to zeaq Send a message via Yahoo to zeaq
Anybody.....But now it's gone.....

I wanna to know why ?

My BMW 328i- AC Schnitzer Spoiler, Blaupunkt Stereo,Angel eyes(CCFL), M technik Lower Lip.

928 GTS- Stock
Z
Old 10-24-2004, 09:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
quality

Car: 2001 330i & 2011 550i
Photos:
Delmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
You could Download the BMW 328i owners manual in PDF for cars all the way back to 1998 on the www.bmw.com site.

I think your parking brakes may have been left up if the "BRAKE" light was on used .

Also even though the warning lights go away it doesn't mean the problems are gone. My BMW dealer told me the warning lights are set up in away that you get some brief early warning (which is what you just got) and the light go away then you get it again and again (maybe every week or 500 miles) and the warning lights stay on longer each time as the problem get worse.

I had this problem last June when I first bought my 318i. Apparantly these lights cost me over 2 grand at the BMW dealership to turn off. !

So I would look into them right away!
Old 10-24-2004, 10:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by Delmarco@Oct 24 2004, 08:05 AM
You could Download the BMW 328i owners manual in PDF for cars all the way back to 1998 on the www.bmw.com site.

I think your parking brakes may have been left up if the "BRAKE" light was on used .

Also even though the warning lights go away it doesn't mean the problems are gone. My BMW dealer told me the warning lights are set up in away that you get some brief early warning (which is what you just got) and the light go away then you get it again and again (maybe every week or 500 miles) and the warning lights stay on longer each time as the problem get worse.

I had this problem last June when I first bought my 318i. Apparantly these lights cost me over 2 grand at the BMW dealership to turn off. !

[snapback]217291[/snapback]
Thanks..Delmacro,

But the "Check control" suddenly appear when i just hit the poodle of water...
Not sure it does the effect.
Is it something to do with wiring/electronic?or the enjine?
So how long does it takes to repair at ur 318i?
This tuesday i'll bring my Bmw to the workshop.....for check up....
BTW i did enter the link u gave me i did search but i can't find the PDF version of it...

928 GTS- Stock
Z
Old 10-24-2004, 10:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Hey Zeag, no worries, the puddle of water was just a coincidence.

You either have a brake light out, or the sensor is going bad. If all your brake light bulbs are good, the sensor is going bad.

This is a very common problem with e36 cars. Some of the sensors that work in conjunction with the OBC just age and go crazy after a while. I've had the same warning as have many of our other members. As mine is a rare occurence, I must merely take out one of the brake light bulbs and replacing. It then goes away.

If you want a more permanent fix, try the following link. I found this in the FAQ section of our website. Remember, that's what it's there for....{CLICK HERE}
Old 10-24-2004, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
quality

Photos:
Delmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by zeaq+Oct 24 2004, 09:20 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zeaq @ Oct 24 2004, 09:20 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Delmarco@Oct 24 2004, 08:05 AM

I had this problem* last June when I first bought my 318i. Apparantly these lights cost me over 2 grand at the BMW dealership to turn off. !

[snapback]217291[/snapback]
Thanks..Delmacro,

But the "Check control" suddenly appear when i just hit the poodle of water...
Not sure it does the effect.
Is it something to do with wiring/electronic?or the enjine?
So how long does it takes to repair at ur 318i?
This tuesday i'll bring my Bmw to the workshop.....for check up....
BTW i did enter the link u gave me i did search but i can't find the PDF version of it...
[snapback]217308[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

I had alot of other stuff done to my 318i and it took about 15 days to get my car back. However, all the basic stuff involving the warning lights took the most a week to fix....mainly because BMW had to order parts from overseas (so I was told). The longest thing was paint detail and the wait for the air mass sensor to be shipped in. My brakes needed servcing and to be replaced but that only took a day according to my service guy.

Sorry about that link...try www.bmwusa.com instead. I know it's there. Also I bought my manual on ebay since my car is a 1995 and there was no PDF on the site. You may find a manual on ebay for cheap as well.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by jllphan@Oct 24 2004, 09:38 AM

You either have a brake light out, or the sensor is going bad. If all your brake light bulbs are good, the sensor is going bad.

This is a very common problem with e36 cars. Some of the sensors that work in conjunction with the OBC just age and go crazy after a while. I've had the same warning as have many of our other members. As mine is a rare occurence, I must merely take out one of the brake light bulbs and replacing. It then goes away.

If you want a more permanent fix, try the following link. I found this in the FAQ section of our website. Remember, that's what it's there for....{CLICK HERE}
[snapback]217316[/snapback]
Thanks Jilipan......
Sorrry for my spelling of "puddle".
Thanks for the link...I hope just replace the bulb..Not the censor....because i'll be needing the car for this "Ramadan"and upcoming "Eidfitri" celebration..like Delmacro said need a week to fix...yeah i think my country BMW dealer have to order them overseas.
Anyway now it's long gone i think.....But dunno like delmacro said it will come back..Even i drive it for about 15mins to town there no indication...

Quote:
I had alot of other stuff done to my 318i and it took about 15 days to get my car back. However, all the basic stuff involving the warning lights took the most a week to fix....mainly because BMW had to order parts from overseas (so I was told). The longest thing was paint detail and the wait for the air mass sensor to be shipped in. My brakes needed servcing and to be replaced but that only took a day according to my service guy.

Sorry about that link...try www.bmwusa.com instead. I know it's there. Also I bought my manual on ebay since my car is a 1995 and there was no PDF on the site. You may find a manual on ebay for cheap as well.
Thnaks anyway...for that link ..Have to be a member and resident of USA....
Wow.....I see ur Bimmer have lots of maintenance work to do...

928 GTS- Stock
Z
Old 10-24-2004, 11:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
quality

Photos:
Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by zeaq+Oct 24 2004, 10:35 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zeaq @ Oct 24 2004, 10:35 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-jllphan@Oct 24 2004, 09:38 AM

You either have a brake light out, or the sensor is going bad.* If all your brake light bulbs are good, the sensor is going bad.

This is a very common problem with e36 cars.* Some of the sensors that work in conjunction with the OBC just age and go crazy after a while.* I've had the same warning as have many of our other members.* As mine is a rare occurence, I must merely take out one of the brake light bulbs and replacing.* It then goes away.*

If you want a more permanent fix, try the following link.* I found this in the FAQ section of our website.* Remember, that's what it's there for....{CLICK HERE}
[snapback]217316[/snapback]
Thanks Jilipan......
Sorrry for my spelling of "puddle".
Thanks for the link...I hope just replace the bulb..Not the censor....because i'll be needing the car for this "Ramadan"and upcoming "Eidfitri" celebration..like Delmacro said need a week to fix...yeah i think my country BMW dealer have to order them overseas.
Anyway now it's long gone i think.....But dunno like delmacro said it will come back..Even i drive it for about 15mins to town there no indication...

Quote:

Thnaks anyway...for that link ..Have to be a member and resident of USA....
Wow.....I see ur Bimmer have lots of maintenance work to do...
[snapback]217349[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Well I would say about 400$ went to the Air mass sensor (had I known then that the stupid thing cost $30-50 on ebay and there's a DIY for 30 min to replace ), $480 went to brake pad and rotors (had I known then that stock BMW pads emit the worst dust and I could've gotten better ones for $200... ), For my airbag light that was on I needed to replace a switch that was $580 ( ), Then the ignition housing needed to be replaced w/ new keys ($600) and I got a bunch of extra detailing things done and engine maintenace stuff added for another $800 .

Then I got my rims and tires (all 4 pre mounted and new from ebay for $430 ) after and fixed up my interior some. ($400+$300)
Old 10-24-2004, 11:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
quality

Photos:
Garage
Oh...about the lights coming back...don't sweat it that much, after the first time they appear you still got some good time before you MUST take your car in for repairs and it becomes undrivable.I would take a chance and wait til after the celebration but if you take it in it should be about a week.

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)