BMW Werkz banner

Hello I Am A Noob, Help!

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Obiein808 
#1 ·
I have a beautiful 1999 328 IS M. It has a few problems though, HELP!

1.) the car makes a funny "humming noise" , only when its moing at speeds 35+ its very noticible and progresively noisey.
I have read a lot on these forums, is this the rubber "guibo" that needs to be replaced?

2.) I recently had recharge my battery, fun finding it, and when I put it back in and reconnected it I noticed the driver seat will no longer move forward or backward.
Whats troubling is the seat moves up and down, even reclines (all power) but the forward motion seems to be not working. Did I short the motor? Is it jsut the switch?
Since its a 6 way switch, do I have to replace the enitre switch? HLEP!

thanks in advance, I think all of you are great for supporting this awesome forum!

-OC

#6 ·
Shahb they are only askign questions about this M to increase their knowledge about the e36.

No i don't think it is your guibo. Try and pinpoint where you think the nosie is comign from as it could be close to a million things.

I don't know much about the power seat motors but maybe this problem is fuse related?

#7 ·
come on guys like you guys have any idea what the problem is help him out i doubt that m makes a difference with this problems
Actually it is this rare 328 IS "M" that has a faulty rotator splint which often causes this humming noice at high speeds....thats why I was asking....WISEASS

#8 ·
yeah shahab we were all going to get to the point of the question we were just curious about the m thing on the 328, you coming in here and making the post you did was useless.. we were atleast trying to gain knowledge you were just being an ass. haha anyways i had a warped rotor and it made my car hum really loud when i was driving down the road

David

#9 ·
This is the rare factory "M" 328 IS M

splint huh?

I dont want to got to the dealership and get bopped on the head (only the bmw of hawaii works on them here) I am very tech/mechanic orientated and could fix it if I knew what it was.

the sound seams to come from the rear axel area har dto tell when I am driving hte car, but deinately the rear end, I tohught it was the rear gear box?
or the wheels? but the wheels would not be a logical guess as I have not changed anything and this is a new problem.

the seats:

its not a fuse! LOL

HELP!!!!!

#10 ·
The only basic 3 series in the M version that I knew about was the 1994 M Technic.

Perfect Line

#12 ·
No he explained it in the post above mine. He claims it is a M manufactured rare vehicle.

Perfect Line

#13 ·
hmmm, I know its rare and all but give me a break yo,

IT IS a factory I.S. "M"

has the facotry m emblems on sides, wheel, base of shifter and A, M option for the rpm max switch....its even on my title.

but none of that helps my problems.
:nope

#15 ·
Actually it is this rare 328 IS "M" that has a faulty rotator splint which often causes this humming noice at high speeds....thats why I was asking....WISEASS
I just wanted to be clear here guys....ummm...this was a f****n joke....didn't any of you see "Road Trip"??? There is no such thing as a rotator splint....lol

:clap2 :lmao2 :lmao2 :lmao2 :lmao2 :lmao2

#16 ·
Aight.. please excuse some of these guys.. as they go on tangents sometimes... you'll get use to it...

Welcome.. and sounds like a nice car...

As for the sound.. stuff like that.. it is best to try and pinpoint the location.. such as. "under the shifter".. or between the rear wheels.. ect... that is the best way.. because there are certain things that cause certain noises.. in certain places.. as you probably already know. So get a good location of that sucker.. and then maybe we could help you.

As for the seat problem.. my buddy had the same problem a while ago.. and it was a faulty switch... switches are not made to work forever... sometimes they go bad... as for troubleshooting that problem.. make sure nothing is obstructing the switch and or seat... then from there.. take a can of compressed air.. and spray the hell out of the seat.. and clean everything as best you can.. if it still doesnt work.. start pulling it up.. and making sure all of the wires are going to where they need to go... after that.. and no workie ...first replacing the switch.. then move on to the other larger components...

Good Luck,

Les

#17 ·
that was great thanks! I'll try that for the seat....
as far as the humming noise its dfeinately under the rear seat area, or arounf the axel, I DON'T think it has anything to do with the wheels, its either in the driveshaft or gear box (rear end) buthtat as far as I can guesstimate.

thanks

-oBIE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.