Hello BimmerWerkz - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 08:05 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
christian e36 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Hello BimmerWerkz

Hello Bimmerwerkz, this is my first post actually, Just joined. A little bit about myself, Iím 18, live in NJ bordering PA, used to drive an e36 4dr 318i, finally lost it a few weeks back ending its life at around 225,000 miles after inheriting it as ďmy momís old used car,Ē luckily from my parents, and I am now very excited to share that Iíve finally decided on a new car and have the financing. Itís a 1999 328is coupe (e36), Iím getting to pick it up this Monday and handing over the check. After driving the 318i I fell in love with BMWs generally but more specifically the e36 90s models. I loved the car but as you all know felt the lack of engine when it came to my 95ís small I4 1.9L, and know that Iím finally getting a car with less than half the mileage of the old one, Iíve chosen the 328is because of its bigger m54 engine. I think I got very lucky with the buy as well because the woman is leaving the country for her job and had 2 other buyers right after me so I closed on the deal. Its near mint condition, if youíd excuse the sorry excuse of a single photo, but where I really lucked out was that it only has 75,000 miles on it and the woman had it serviced at some Bavarian specialty shop somewhere in the West Chester PA area every 3,000 miles.

My plans are as follows.
Being that Iím only 18 and have to fund everything that I might have to change the car, my personal savings are limited to what Iíve saved from when I had worked. When I first thought of what I should change on the new 328is, the idea of M badges all over the car flourished in my head but what I realized after buying and discarding a bunch of cheap lame M badge trinkets off ebay, was that being a poseur M-badge holder is one of the biggest BMW etiquette violations there is. Luckily I didnít add any of it because I donít get the car Ďtil Monday. I pretty much threw out $50 on it ha. All my newer ideas are of small ways I can improve 328is car and being proud of it without trying to show off and be something that itís not. So I figured the best way to do this would to just basically swap out a lot of the light housings to the ďEuropean Clear LookĒ. The car is in beautiful condition and I already have my old Depo Angel Eyes I had bought and fitted on my old e36 that will fit, although there is one major problem with them which Iíll get to in a moment. Other than that Iíve purchased matching slightly tinted clear corner light houses as well as clear side markers with yellow bulbs included. On the rear Iím swapping out the stock e36 orange infested tail light houses and replacing them with a clean white and simple red tail light cover. The clear fogs that came stock, Iím swapping for yellow ďEuro FogsĒ. These are just small things I can afford to clean up the cars appearance to make it look the best it can without making it something itís not. Everything Iíve said so far Iíve already purchased, the only M badge items I will keep for the car are the cute little M badge tire covers that I bought and the legit BMW M badge 5speed manuel shift knob I bought off Amazon that I like for its synthetic leather feel which I much prefer over plastic covered wood one that came stock. Maybe a few years after college when Iím older may I be able to afford such things like an AA supercharger but I think Iím pretty lucky to have this car at 18, just stock and Iím really excited on it.

The only photo I currently have, unfortunately, of my new 328is

As I mentioned above, the big problem Iím going to have to overcome is being able to install my new clear corner lights I ordered on a set of Depo Angel Eyes with broken side clips. So I come here with hope of getting some advice on how to solve my problem, worst comes to worse I going to have to simply glue the corner light onto the headlamp which I donít want to do because this car is coming perfect to me and I donít want to make it too ghetto.

The problem with my left depo angel eye headlamp housing unit, the three clips that hold the corner light soklely are missing and broken off.

An upclose look of exactly how much of each clamp is missing on the end of the front left headlamp housing

And finally, a direct comparison between my right headlamp housing which maintains all its clips with the housing with the broken clips in comparison

Note that those orange corner lights I showed in the pictures arnt actually the ones I'm installing on my new car. I just used them to help display as an example of what my problem is. I had to order new corner lights that fit the e36 2dr because my old e36 318i was a 4dr and had different fitting corner lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 08:19 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Thanks for not putting the ///M badges on the car!

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 11:08 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Welcome to the Werkz...... sounds like a plan.

johnny,

#4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 04:08 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
well thanks for the welcomes, does anyone have help towards the topic of my headlamp/cornerlamp housing problem??
#5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 04:19 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
You could either get a new rear casing or make up the clips out of aluminium and self tap
screw them to the housing, if you glue them and the indicator bulb goes you will have to remove the whole unit to change the bulb, I thought you were going for the euro clear indicator lenses ?

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 10:24 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
I had your clip problem on my 97 E36 M3. I wound up drilling screws at an angle from the top into the sidemarkers. The tops of the screws wedged in the sidemarkers.

You could just get the seller to give you a new set of Depos, but even with the side clips there, your turn signals will still pop out all of the time.

My suggestion re: things to do to the car is not to do anything but rather to save your money for a maintenance fund. Save enough to replace the water pump, thermostat, radiator, fan clutch, wheel bearings, and tie rods all at once--then put that money away somewhere until something breaks. After that money is saved, then you can start saving for mods. My suggestions would be cold air intake, exhaust, software, springs, shocks/struts. These are usually the best bang for the buck items.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Neutral Member

BMWides110377 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BMWides110377 Send a message via MSN to BMWides110377 Send a message via Yahoo to BMWides110377
welcome! sounds like you have a great plan...keep us updated and with pics
#8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 02:36 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marti5 View Post
I thought you were going for the euro clear indicator lenses ?
I am it's just they haven't arived yet so I used my stock orange corner light housings from me e36 318i 4dr to show in demonstration of my problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Prof View Post
My suggestion re: things to do to the car is not to do anything but rather to save your money for a maintenance fund. Save enough to replace the water pump, thermostat, radiator, fan clutch, wheel bearings, and tie rods all at once--then put that money away somewhere until something breaks. After that money is saved, then you can start saving for mods. My suggestions would be cold air intake, exhaust, software, springs, shocks/struts. These are usually the best bang for the buck items.
Yea well I have like $700 in that fund which is the rest of my money I just started ha but it'll grow,
As far as Mods like that. I already stole off my old car my whole cold air intake arm, and mass air sensor and am installing that in a couple weeks when a friend of mine gets home to help me with it.
Seeing how I'm not actually thinking I'm going to get to race around a track the struts are fine as is, and I'd probably be more likely just to buy a set of springs to have the lowered, quick feel. Ha I dunno I just prefer it. Um an AA supercharger would be stuff of dreams but I dont think that'll ever happen.

Thanks for everyone's input so far, as well as the welcomes!

- Christian
#9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 07:08 PM
1st Gear Member

jmo69 is on a distinguished road
Garage
[QUOTE]I'd probably be more likely just to buy a set of springs to have the lowered[/QUOTE
If I'm not mistaken, they don't recomend putting lowering springs on stock struts and shocks. Maybe set of Apexcones from DDM Tuning might be the answer for your headlights. Car definately looks good, how about a license plate delete strip if your laws allow it. really cleans up the front end. +1 on the M stuff, maybe a front bumper.

Cosmos schwartz metalic Sparco strut brace factory X-brace 55w 6000k HID w/LED angel eyes smoked Lamin-X blacked out sidemarkers,tails and brakelights. DDM smoked corners and pedals. 35% tint all around, Prosport water temp and oil pressure gauges, Home Depot lip, M3 rear diffuser ASC-T delete.
#10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 09:33 AM
1st Gear Member

vincentmb615 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to vincentmb615
welcome keep it up nooo with m/// badge keep up the good work im 18 too i recently did yellow fogs pain a body kit projector headlights euro tails shocks struts yadadad the list goes on that car will run forever if maintaned properrly i got 195k on mine now what happend to the 318?

[94 325i two toned
#11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:24 AM
Neutral Member

fabcal is on a distinguished road
welcome and congrats on your now toy, it's really clean. Smart move not putting the M signs by the way.
#12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:26 AM
teh Canuck....eh

PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PhatCat
Hey man, welcome! I have to be honest, my attention span to read your intro this morning is far too short...although there are some more edumacated and focused individuals in here that can be a virtual spring of knowledge to help you out(just don't step in the bullshit! jk)

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill
#13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 03:45 PM
3rd Gear Member

Montizzle is a glorious beacon of light Montizzle is a glorious beacon of light Montizzle is a glorious beacon of light Montizzle is a glorious beacon of light Montizzle is a glorious beacon of light
Welcome to werkz! The broken clips are a bizznitch to get around. It is WAY easier to pick up a set of apexcones or DEPO from DDM, trust me.

It sounds like you have a good idea of what you want to do with the car. Good luck, and remember...post pics of anything you do. Nothing like sharing your baby with everyone.

99 Dakar M3
|Conforti|Sharked|TC Kline SA|DEPO||BBS|M50 MANIFOLD|UUC|DDM|SPARCO|OEM X BRACE||SSK|ECS TUNING|MISHIMOTO|
#14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 11:40 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montizzle View Post
Welcome to werkz! The broken clips are a bizznitch to get around. It is WAY easier to pick up a set of apexcones or DEPO from DDM, trust me.

It sounds like you have a good idea of what you want to do with the car. Good luck, and remember...post pics of anything you do. Nothing like sharing your baby with everyone.
Well I already have the Depos, I just wish there was a way to replace the clamps. I haven't swapped them in because I'm afraid of putting them in and then not being able to attach the corner light at all and not having a drivable car ha. The only thing I think I can really do is use large amounts of plastic glue and hope for the best, but that sounds awful, you know. Any advice without buying new headlamps?
#15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 11:12 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Update

In the last 5 months are so I havent done a lot but I thought I'd just show an updated picture. I met a bunch of people from CCA and have learned a lot, and got these sweet umnitza's put in just lastnight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)