Hella or Other kits? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 07:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BMWGuy325i is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Ok Ive had my 93' 325i for about like 3 months. Been doing some research and want to upgrade my plastic U.S. to some high quality headlights.

What would any of you recommend for good quality Angel Eyes. I have the cash for the $600 Hella Headlights. But I really dont wanna spend that much $$$. Around $250-$400. Any recommendations for GOOD quality decsent priced Angel Eyes.

I see these on ebay :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33710

But I wasent sure about purchasing them. Ive read good feed back on them but not sure. Any output????

- Ben

1999 Hellrot M3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 08:04 PM
1st Gear Member

kamikazinyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by BMWGuy325i@Apr 7 2004, 08:28 PM
Ok Ive had my 93' 325i for about like 3 months. Been doing some research and want to upgrade my plastic U.S. to some high quality headlights.

What would any of you recommend for good quality Angel Eyes. I have the cash for the $600 Hella Headlights. But I really dont wanna spend that much $$$. Around $250-$400. Any recommendations for GOOD quality decsent priced Angel Eyes.

I see these on ebay :

But I wasent sure about purchasing them. Ive read good feed back on them but not sure. Any output????

- Ben
#1 Don't even think about it cheap procarparts S#@T plastic lens not glass you'll be pissed.
#2 Don't buy the one with angel eyes I've got suckered cheap eyes but I'm happy with the housing thou they're DEPO lights.
If you get the euro lights you'll need to turn the projectors so they don't blind the oncoming traffic or swap it with US spec projectors I did mine with X5 projectors, you'll get a flat line.
Look at the eyes see for your self is held on by clear tape as we speak one of the eyes LED burned out so now I got 3 1/2 eyes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cheap_depo.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	7117  

DREMEL is South Africa Engineer's best friend
<span style='color:blue'>HID all the way </span>
#3 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 08:10 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
So go with hella or nothing eh?

1999 Hellrot M3
#4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 08:10 PM
Neutral Member

Twin Que is an unknown quantity at this point
I tried the cheap ones and finally ended up with Hella (Black). The Hella's look like real Angel Eye OEM Quality 5 series lights. I highly recommend Hella..........

<span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='colorurple'>Friendship is Essential to the Soul</span> </span>
#5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 08:16 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
hehe im ordering some hella's...... black or chrome housing ??? used

1999 Hellrot M3
#6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 08:38 PM
1st Gear Member

eloff19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to eloff19
black...imo
#7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 08:42 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
I would HIGHLY recomend ZKW ellipsoids. The Hella lights have small light assemblies inside and look odd. ZKW is the Euro spec oem supplier. The internal lights are the same size as the NA spec but have the projectors that work and look much better. I researched this project vigorously and even contacted Hella directly. They told me they don't make a black housing and if you see any, they have been fabricated by someone else. BUY ZKW's, i did and they look great. umnitza carries them and their customer service is top notch!!!

#8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 09:42 PM
Neutral Member

OK,
I hear all of the above; however, I ordered and received Black Hella lights in the original box. I can personally vouch for the Hellas because I ordered the other stuff and they were by far inferior. Don't know anything about the ZKWs so I am not one to put them down. I ordered and received the Hellas off of Ebay....... Black is rare but available, I paid 405.00 (good bid). It cost 99.00 for shipping from Germany. I can only say, mine are outstanding..........
Here they are......
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2472098681
BTW, they do exist!!!
B)

<span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='colorurple'>Friendship is Essential to the Soul</span> </span>
#9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 09:55 PM
Live Fast. Drive Faster.

buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to buuhh99
go to german stuff 4 you .com they got some sweet ones

#10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 10:06 PM
2nd Gear Member

trinidon2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to trinidon2k
http://www.umnitza.com/product_info.php?cP...products_id=123

thats the link for the kit on umnitza .....they go for $599 plus shipping i assume....so my question is...where can i get teh exact same ones for less?
#11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 10:38 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
They may have started manufacturing the black housing out of demand or lack of sales with the chrome, but at my time of purchase had no such animal. Hella is a great company and i'm aware of their quality from using their products on past off road vehicles, but i was VERY disapointed with their H1 replacement bulbs for my e36 and I still think the ZKW's look much better (i guess it's a matter of opinion and mine is such that i tend to like the oem look). As far as finding them cheaper, i'm sure it's posible, but is often times worth the extra cash to deal with a reputable retailer (I'm sure i don't have to tell you this, trindon)

#12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 02:10 AM
2nd Gear Member

trinidon2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to trinidon2k
word...i learned the hardway.....its a shame
#13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 09:33 AM
Neutral Member

cpuken is an unknown quantity at this point
I guess I'm still in the market... maybe, for a good set of headlights with Angel Eyes. I asked this question earlier (somewhere) but don't recall getting a response.
How is the brightness of the Angel Eyes??? You have the factory Eyes as well as 3-4 different variations as mentioned in earlier messages. I guess my main interest in the Angel Eyes with the headlight performance coming in a close second. The few times I've seen other BMWs on the road, I could barely see that the eyes were actually present and working!! I don't want to drop $500 for something that is barely visible!!! Anyone have first hand knowedge (actaually seen) some of the different eyes in action.
thanks
Ken
#14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 10:29 AM
Neutral Member

I can vouch for two types, cheap & not so cheap.....
The cheap ones I bought from an on line store could barely be seen. The angel eye glow was blueish. They also have a flshlight like light that comes on and drowns out the the angel eyes when on...why, who knows.....
The Hella Angel Eyes I replaced them with, were excellent almost 5 series OEM quality. They were plug and play and the cost difference was almost 400.00 but well worth it. These Hella lights are bright contruscted with OEM quality. The only wire tap is with the parking lights (comes with wire tap). This is not a kit as others advertise. No wires to get confused. Check previous post on this subject. I placed the Ebay link.
My only problem is now, what to do with the first set.

#15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 03:04 PM
Live Fast. Drive Faster.

buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to buuhh99
have u seen daemons car it is tight and he has angel eyes that van be seen and iu think they are the cheaper german stuff 4 you ones

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)