Headgasket trouble - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bavauto is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Headgasket trouble

well, I'm attempting to replace my headgasket myself and have some questions for the gurus. I'm pretty sure the head is shot because it overheated many times over the past year due to a plugged cat and eventually a blown headgasket.
Has anyone ever encountered a warped block?
Do I really need to torque angle the head bolts?
Is there another way to torque the bolts without using a angle torque wrench?
Where can I get a hold of a camshaft TDC locking tool part #11-3-240 or something else that works?
do I really need to use the locking tool? Or can it be eyeballed?
I've never done a headgasket before but I've read it up on the Bently.
Is there anything else that I need to know that isn't mentioned in the Bently?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 02:11 PM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
M50 head gasket is not really the best head gasket to start with if you have never done one. No, you can't just eye ball the cams, if they are not set right the engine will not run well and the valves can possibly hit the pistons. You have to use an angle torque on the bolts, there is no other way to properly do it. Yes, there is a chance the block is warped but without taking off the head and checking it with a machinists straight edge and feeler gauges you won't know for sure.

Honestly if you have never done a head gasket, esp. a twin cam BMW one I'd either get someone to help you that has done it before or have a shop do it that knows BMW's well.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 05:13 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Ditto what BMWJNKY said.

On top of that dont jsut go by what the Bently manual says. Search a lot of DIY's on the internet. Fidn DIY's for the m50 manifold removal, DIY's for valve cover removal. Print out them all and use them all simultaneously as you do the project. I have yet to find any DIY for head removal that was completely perfect, but when you combine them all it makes it much easier.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#4 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 10:44 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
The bentley manual seems to be pretty detailed. can you describe anything important that the bently doesn't describe?
#5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 03:12 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
does anyone know of a good machine shop that specializes in refurbing bmw m50 heads??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)