Headers - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2004, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
Kevin325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Kevin325i
Anyone know if stock M3 headers will bolt up to a '92 325i? Will the downpipes from the M3 also bolt up to my stock 325i exaust? There's a guy on Ebay parting his M3 and so far nobody has bid on the headers in like 3 days, so 60 bucks for some headers with like 60k miles on them sounds pretty good.

If i got them I'd most likely end up going to a shop and getting them ported and polised.

Kevin

"WAAAAAAARRRRRIORS, come out to plaaaaay."
Kevin325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2004, 06:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car:
Photos:
dutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dutchbmw
A M3 has a bigger displacement engine, and therefore it must be a longer engine. The header engine mounts are further from each other than the ones who fit on the 325i.
Originally Posted by Torque
I was just dropped off here by aliens one day. They got bored with me.
dutchbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 07:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
CiscoKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to CiscoKid
i second that
Old 05-09-2004, 09:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
ex owner/admin

Car: turbo e36 325/s50 and e46 330xi
Photos:
Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
. ive been waiting to see the dyno charts from a friends adventures with buying M3 headers. but from the looks of it right now, id say dont bother.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
But they fit, correct?

Kevin

"WAAAAAAARRRRRIORS, come out to plaaaaay."
Old 05-09-2004, 10:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car: 97 328is, 93 318is
Photos:
thinair is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Ok, to clarify, the m3 engine isn't longer then the 325 engine. Actually if you were to get the 320, 323, 325, 328, 3L M3, and 3.2 M3 US spec engines all side by side without the plastic ignition coil cover you'd probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them except which are 91-95 and which are 96-99.

Also, the 325 exhaust manifold is the exact same as the US 3L M3 (1995) exhaust manifolds. They're just cast manifolds.

The 96-99 328/M3 manifolds are welded tubular manifold, but the gains are extremely questionable, and in my eyes certainly not worth going through the trouble of removing the exhaust manifolds to install one that barely flows better.

If you're going to get an aftermarket exhaust manifold get a proper even length manifold, like HIOP, turner, evosport, superspring, kromerkraft, etc. You get what you pay for.

And exhaust manifolds aren't really the first place to start when looking for more engine power anyway, start on the intake side, cat-back exhaust, cams, etc, etc, then exhaust manifolds/headers should be almost last on your list.
1997 Madeira Violet 328is - Carbonio Intake, Racing Dynamics exhaust, fan delete, ASC delete, M50 intake manifold, M3 Cams, Eurospeed/AA software, 3.38LSD, M3 f&r brakes + MC, Bilstein PSS, Eibach swaybars, BBS RK 17x8" wheels, Toyo T1R (235/40R17) tires, Racing Dynamics K55 kit, full euro lighting, 4300k HID lows, etc..........
<a href='http://www3.sympatico.ca/thinairbikes/bmw.htm' target='_blank'>Click here for more info on my car</a>
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 11:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2008 128i
Photos:
007ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 007ben Send a message via Yahoo to 007ben
but exhaust is like the 1st thing all the honda boys do. doesn't that mean we should too...

or maybe we should just get tips like them too..

damn ricers.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

At least they don't have whistle tips.
El Presidente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 04:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car: 97 328is, 93 318is
Photos:
thinair is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally posted by 007ben@May 9 2004, 11:58 PM
but exhaust is like the 1st thing all the honda boys do. doesn't that mean we should too...

or maybe we should just get tips like them too..

damn ricers.
Yeah, headers are one of the first things that Honda modders do. Why?

- Most aftermarket Honda headers are cheap (unless you want good ones)
- they're really easy to remove (in comparison to BMW headers). The Civic headers for example are right at the front of the engine, it's pretty easy to get to. 8 nuts of the head and voila. The BMW headers are on the passenger side of the engine, you'll probably need to lift the engine to make room to get them from between the engine and the strut tower, and there are 12 bolts, and they're really hard to get to.
- the Honda aftermarket is like the aftermarket for a Mustang or a Camero, there are a lot of companies who make them, and a lot more modders compared to BMW modders.
- many Honda owners (not all) believe random dyno charts that the more questionable companies post, claiming 20-30hp gains from just headers. On BMW's it's proven that even the best header on a mostly stock engine doesn't really give you much gain. BMW knew what they were doing from the factory.
1997 Madeira Violet 328is - Carbonio Intake, Racing Dynamics exhaust, fan delete, ASC delete, M50 intake manifold, M3 Cams, Eurospeed/AA software, 3.38LSD, M3 f&r brakes + MC, Bilstein PSS, Eibach swaybars, BBS RK 17x8&quot; wheels, Toyo T1R (235/40R17) tires, Racing Dynamics K55 kit, full euro lighting, 4300k HID lows, etc..........
<a href='http://www3.sympatico.ca/thinairbikes/bmw.htm' target='_blank'>Click here for more info on my car</a>
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 08:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
I'm with thinair for the most part.

You would see a difference with the ///M engines, but not the others. The intake is significantly different.

By the way, nice call on the 96-99 thing, the VANOS unit would deffinately give away the later cars....

And you would see a noticeable increase in a dyno or real world driving with ///M headers if and only if...

1. You improved the breathing on the front side (better intake, and CAI)
2. Omitted the cats, and ran a straight pipe all the way back.

Neither of these are cheap, which brings me back to thinair's point, that for the money, you probably wouldn't be happy.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car:
Photos:
dutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dutchbmw
Quote:
Originally posted by thinair@May 10 2004, 05:41 AM
Ok, to clarify, the m3 engine isn't longer then the 325 engine. Actually if you were to get the 320, 323, 325, 328, 3L M3, and 3.2 M3 US spec engines all side by side without the plastic ignition.....
?? The bore of the 320i is 80 mm, from the 3.2 M3 the bore is 86.4 mm! This means by an engine with 6 cylinders a extra total width from 38.4 mm! Maybe I am wrong or....
Originally Posted by Torque
I was just dropped off here by aliens one day. They got bored with me.
dutchbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 04:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
The whole reason for this question is to eventually take my engine to (or better than) M3 specs (reason for the '92 non-vanos) I saw some articles online about M3 headers bolting to a 325i. So I wanted to see if you guys knew anything about it. It was just a good thought because of the price so I could just keep it around the house.

To sway things more towards that way, my muffler is shot, so I was just going to go all-out with the exaust from the engine back.

Oh well, I don't really got any money for anything right now . What cash I have is being put towards chasing the electrical gremlins outa my car.

Kevin

&quot;WAAAAAAARRRRRIORS, come out to plaaaaay.&quot;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)