Hallelujah I have a leaky rad!!! So what type of oil, plugs and filters should I use? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 10:55 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
frenchtoast is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Hallelujah I have a leaky rad!!! So what type of oil, plugs and filters should I use?

I was losing about a quart of coolant every couple of days in my new to me 1997 328i with 105km. I had yellowy "mayonnaise" under my filler cap, a bit on the dipstick, and steam from the exhaust when I started it in the morning.

I was counting on getting a head gasket job done and a new mortgage on the house. Turns out it's a leak in the top right corner of my rad. The mechanic showed me that when he squeezed one of the hoses, coolant leaked out. He asked me if I wanted to order the $300+ rad from the dealer and I quickly said no way. He threw a bottle of radiator stop leak fluid in and it has been fine ever since. My other "symptoms" are caused by my 1 km commute to work in the morning and the sub-zero temperatures here.

I now want to go over the car thoroughly and would like some suggestions regarding type of air filter, type of oil (dino, synth, olive) and filter, and plugs to use. I'm not averse to some modest performance gains or spending a bit of money. I am considering a cold air intake (short style) or regular K&N filter, full synth, and Bosch +4 plugs.

You guys know more than I do. What works well on a '97 328i?
Thanks.

Frenchtoast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 11:08 PM
bow
3rd Gear Member

bow will become famous soon enough bow will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to bow
hell any filter will work i get the cheapest one. cold air's gonna run u around 250 give or take a few.search oil in the SEARCH i know theres a bunch of threads on synthetic and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotKRAUT
"drag racing a BMW is like fishing with a hooker...fun but not what you got her for..."
#3 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Member

moe19x is an unknown quantity at this point
Damnnn thank god i read this post!! i saw the same stuff under my oil cap and it got me really worried thinkin i needed a head gasket job cuz im also loosing a bit of coolant but cant figure out from where. i just like you also only drive my car only a couple km a day in sub zero temps! i had a previous problem with my cooling system and i ended up replacing the rad, water pump, fan and fan clutch. But i still cant figue out where im loosing coolant from it could be from heater core i think.

1998 328I
4 Door Sedan
100% Stock
#4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 11:53 PM
n00b

frenchtoast is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Yeah I was a little freaked after reading all of the head gasket posts.
Before I did anything drastic though, I just took it over to the Crappy Tire store and invested $36 in having them check my cooling system. I would never let them fix anything, but they were effective in diagnosing my problem.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 01:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Gator is an unknown quantity at this point
I wouldn't rest too easy just yet. You may have had a radiator leak, but
"I had yellowy "mayonnaise" under my filler cap, a bit on the dipstick," is usually
a sign of coolant in the oil not short trips in cold weather. Before I spent any money on other things, I would take the car to a competent BMW mechanic to check if the head gasket was in fact ok. Running with coolant in the oil can cause some serious damage and its prudent to be 100% sure before you move on.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 01:51 PM
4th Gear Member

bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to bimmerguy82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator
I wouldn't rest too easy just yet. You may have had a radiator leak, but
"I had yellowy "mayonnaise" under my filler cap, a bit on the dipstick," is usually
a sign of coolant in the oil not short trips in cold weather. Before I spent any money on other things, I would take the car to a competent BMW mechanic to check if the head gasket was in fact ok. Running with coolant in the oil can cause some serious damage and its prudent to be 100% sure before you move on.
+1

Yeah, usually yellowy "mayonaise" under the filler cap and in the dip stick is a sure sign of a blown head gasket. Don't think much else will cause that. So it might be coincidence that you had a rad leak also.get it check out by a good bmw mechanic. just my 2 cents

BMWcrazy

|AA stage 1 software| UUC light flywheel and clutch| UUC EVO 3 ssk | K&N Intake | Ebay Headers |

BMWCCA member#407674

Founding member of the hit 145 mph in my almost stock 325i BMW club.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)