Guibo, Alignment, Bushings, Bearings??? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 04:59 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mathetas is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to mathetas
(Thread Starter)
Alright... I've posted this problem before, but I don't think I've described the issue well enough to get some really great feedback. I am in between schools in the USMC, and after my next school picks up in January, I won't have any time to mess with my car. Needless to say, the trips I take in my car, when I am driving, are all 400+ miles. So, as you can imagine, the dependability of my car is beginning to stress me out. That being said...

If you are sharp and looking for a problem, you can almost notice a small vibration, more like a wabble, in the steering wheel at low speeds. However, it is very subtle. What isn't subtle is at exactly 70mph-85mph the freakin car exhibits a VERY noticible wabbling vibration that feels like I'm passing over rumble strips when and only when the steering wheel deviates right of center from 12-1 o'clock. It strangely disappears in deviations past 1 o'clock to the right and and never does it deviating left. However, it will do it when correcting right from the left--such as changing lanes on the highway. This is strictly a highway problem. 65mph and below and you'd never really know the difference. I've bought 4 new wheels, thinking a mildly marred rim was causing the problem, 4 new tires, and I've had the tires balanced 3 different times. What is really weird is that the car almost seemed to be fine the first few days after I got my tires. But, after about a week, the problem came back just as strong as ever.

PLEASE HELP. I've heard mention of several things it could be, like a carrier bearing in the driveshaft, a guibo?, alignment, wheel balancing, etc. No luck thus far on a definite diagnosis, though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 07:22 PM
5th Gear Member

Speedy-325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Speedy-325is Send a message via MSN to Speedy-325is Send a message via Yahoo to Speedy-325is
is the noise under the middle of the car or toward the rear. lay your back seat down, if it sounds like its from the trunk it could be a wheel bearing. usually the rear left.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 09:52 AM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
i was gonna say wheel bearing too , far outside chance of a caliper, but if its happening while turning usually one way, than i would go with a wheel bearing, or a possiblity of control arm or ball joint. hard to tell with these situations, all we can really do is give you things to check out. dont go out and buy something unless your certain it will cure your problem.

i dont think its a guibo or driveshaft because of what you described, those types of woobbles happen consistantly and under a fair bit of power.

#4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 04:13 PM
Threadkiller

bitcore will become famous soon enough bitcore will become famous soon enough
Does the car track or tramline any differently than it should?

Get under the car and check the bushings of the front steering system, they should not be cracked or look old and worn out. Jiggle some parts that are connected to bushings\ball joints, if there is any play... throw it away.

While your under there, check out the guibo as well, it could be on it's way out... It probably is NOT the cause of your vibration considering the vibration occurs under the condition that you are turning right. But, it's nice to know the condition of your car so you know what needs to be done in the future so you can plan to fund certain fixes that may be costly instead of having to suddenly "deal with it"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)