Guess What I Found On Otherside Of My Trunk?(pics) - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2005, 12:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
quality

Car: 2001 330i & 2011 550i
Photos:
Delmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Question

So the mystery continues!!! used used used
Can someone tell me how this is possible? One side totally bad and the other side perfect?
I'm lost at the fact that I drove around with this since like last April or May...at least that is when I heard the sounds...it could've been like this since I bought the car last year June 2004.

both RSMs:

The Driver's RSM is fucked!

Old 08-26-2005, 01:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Ljk619 is an unknown quantity at this point
S*** that pretty bad. Looks something like a big rock caught in the tread of your tires and shot through (which is not likely at all), but it looks like $$$ is definitely going to be needed.

///M The most powerful letter in the alphabet
Ljk619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 03:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
e36surge is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to e36surge Send a message via MSN to e36surge
Holy ****. The only thing I can hypothesize... most if not all all highway on-ramps and off-ramps (north america) are right hand turns. If you're 'prone' to hard driving maybe the weight shifting to the right side caused the RSM to go and continued driving caused the further damage to the sheet metal. Wow.. I've never seen anything like it... did you check your sub-frame underneath the car?

Find a good welding shop and have them repair and re-inforce. It shouldn't be that expensive. I had my Jeep's frame re-done (rear cross member) for about $300 CD$.

Good luck and sorry to hear about the bad break. Keep us up to date.

1979 320is RiP
1994 318is Sold
1995 325is Sold
1995 530i Sold
2004 M3
e36surge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 03:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: London Tube
Photos:
zeaq has a spectacular aura aboutzeaq has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to zeaq Send a message via MSN to zeaq Send a message via Yahoo to zeaq
Terrible!!

My BMW 328i- AC Schnitzer Spoiler, Blaupunkt Stereo,Angel eyes(CCFL), M technik Lower Lip.

928 GTS- Stock
Z
zeaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 04:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
swanvesta is an unknown quantity at this point
jesus! man that looks like something has been forced up through the metal. see how a piece is all curled over.. i've had a fence stake through my floor before in a landrover when i was off roading, but that was just thin ally, not steel! probably wont cost that much to fix if you take it to a car body repair shop or a small welding shop..
swanvesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 05:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: Anthracite e39 530iA
Photos:
Dudesky_E36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Dudesky_E36
Okay, those are much better photos. I can't see any evidence of a paper gasket in the pics. Looks like it disntegrated (or was never installed), causing excessive rusting around the stud & nut area, and eventually shearing the metal.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
theironm0nk is an unknown quantity at this point
Remember that story you told us how you killed your shocks I think this is when it happened.
theironm0nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 08:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
A good body shop shouldn't charge you much to do it. Try to get someone to recommend you a place they've used.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Gator is an unknown quantity at this point
It looks like the upper shock mount was violently ripped out while still bolted in place. It also looks like one side was pried downwards thus pushing the other side upwards while it was being ripped out from the underside of the car. I don't see how it could have been done with the shock still in place. In any case it was not the result of either normal or abnormal driving. If I had to guess, I would say the shock was removed and then someone pried out the upper shock mount with a crowbar while the mounting nuts were still in place.
If your lucky,a good body shop might be able to repair the damage without cutting out and welding in a new mount from a junked car. Anyway, good luck with the repair and be thankful that it didn't result in an accident.
As an afterthought, you might want the check with your insurance company. It just might be covered.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
I vote to ban Delmarco if he continues to post these images that are offensive to my eyes.

That really does such though. I hope you get it back to normal.
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
quality

Car: 2001 330i & 2011 550i
Photos:
Delmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Gator@Aug 26 2005, 07:50 AM
It looks like the upper shock mount was violently ripped out while still bolted in place. It also looks like one side was pried downwards thus pushing the other side upwards while it was being ripped out from the underside of the car. I don't see how it could have been done with the shock still in place. In any case it was not the result of either normal or abnormal driving. If I had to guess, I would say the shock was removed and then someone pried out the upper shock mount with a crowbar while the mounting nuts were still in place.
If your lucky,a good body shop might be able to repair the damage without cutting out and welding in a new mount from a junked car. Anyway, good luck with the repair and be thankful that it didn't result in an accident.
As an afterthought, you might want the check with your insurance company. It just might be covered.
[snapback]372601[/snapback]
no its not covered...

I think every E36 driver should go to their cars right now and peel back their trunk mats to see if the have this...
Old 08-28-2005, 12:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Ljk619 is an unknown quantity at this point
The morning after I saw this post I went and starting tearing my trunk apart and checked my RSM's. Luckily mine are still in perfect condition, no rust or anything. But I couldn't sleep all night after looking at those pictures of yours, I was having nightmares. Was about to go out at 3 in the morning to start tearing apart my trunk and check them.

///M The most powerful letter in the alphabet
Ljk619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)