Good upgrade - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 12:10 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bethlehem Motors is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Good upgrade

I have a 1994 325i Bmw comforti chip, BMP design cold air intake, Headers, and laser supersprint exuast. What would be a good upgrade if ai wanted horsepower gains for my car? M3 clutch and fly wheel, cams? I dont know please help, but i think a good turbo and not the crap i posted on here earlier is out of my budget. Please help thank you all for the help,
Kruger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 12:33 AM
General Chaos

SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
cams

but it will be about 1K for labor, and ull need new software...

nos?

#3 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 02:12 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I have been a mechanic for 16 years so all the labor is free, but i do need the software.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 02:51 AM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethlehem Motors
I have a 1994 325i Bmw comforti chip, BMP design cold air intake, Headers, and laser supersprint exuast. What would be a good upgrade if ai wanted horsepower gains for my car? M3 clutch and fly wheel, cams? I dont know please help, but i think a good turbo and not the crap i posted on here earlier is out of my budget. Please help thank you all for the help,
Kruger

conforti chip- yes, but this is the last thing you should do because you should get the chip tuned to optimize your mods.

bmp design CAI- yes, but im sure you can research a more affordable one if need be, they all do the same thing, just some look nicer than others.

Headers-yes , but depends on what type, shorty headers are cheaper, and require less modification, long headers give better performance but they are more expensive and require a track pipe or fabrication to make them fit if you need to keep your cats

supersprint exhaust- hmm ill say no... in terms of price, there are more affordable exhaust systems out there that will do virtually the same thing, do more research on exhausts before you make your decision. here is a starter thread to read, Active autowerkes wasnt included, but from what ive read is probably one of the best and price is pretty comparable to supersprint.... http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/upg...6-m3-9727.html

M3clutch and flywheel- arent really nessecary, and im sure you could find a better kit with better performance check out this site..http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/

cams-yes. this is an awesome upgrade, will give you the most hp out of all the the bolt on mods you listed beforehand, do your research on these, it an expensive mod and you want to make sure you get what you want.

other bolt ons to consider..

fan delete mod
underdrive pullies
closer ratio differential

#5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 01:09 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the help I really appreciate it. Do you have any suggestions on cams? I was thinking Either BMP or tunermotorsports
#6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 02:28 PM
Neutral Member

walshja is an unknown quantity at this point
furious, what is a fan delete mod?

1994 325iC, 130k miles
#7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 03:15 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Bethlehem, Schricks are also very popular.

Walsh, your car comes with two cooling fans: an electric pusher fan at the very front of your radiator and a belt-driven puller fan just behind your radiator. The belt-driven fan is a power leech, and many people think you can safely remove it and the fan clutch while simultaneously setting the turn-on temperature lower for the electric fan. This would eliminate the parasitic nature of that part of the cooling system. I haven't done it with my M3, and likely won't. I know through experience that cooling systems on these cars are touchy, and I can just imagine myself in a Washington DC traffic jam on a hot summer day with a blown headgasket.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 11:43 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Ya I am definitely feelin ya on that one. I dont think im gonna try that since i live in LA and drive the 405...lol.
#9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 01:04 PM
Neutral Member

walshja is an unknown quantity at this point
is the fan really that much of a power drain? what is involved with the delete? just removing the belt?

i'm not going to do it, just wondering how it is done !!

1994 325iC, 130k miles
#10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 03:45 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
To do teh fan delete mod correctly you should replace the fan with an electric puller. It is more efficent and better cooling, but does cost a few hundered dollars.
#11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 03:58 PM
3rd Gear Member

tomctx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshja
is the fan really that much of a power drain? what is involved with the delete? just removing the belt?

i'm not going to do it, just wondering how it is done !!
No the fan is attached to the water pump pulley with a reverse bolt. Just unbolts.

1995 325I, window tint, K&N, debaffled airbox, BMW #104 wheels, Nighthawk low beams, smoked side markers, smoked corners, smoked taillights, M3 stlye heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.
#12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 05:13 PM
2nd Gear Member

B_w. is an unknown quantity at this point
go for 95 m3 cams. the $/hp gain for shricks is not worth it in my opinion. it cost about $450 cdn to have my cams installed.
#13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 05:20 PM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethlehem Motors
Thanks for the help I really appreciate it. Do you have any suggestions on cams? I was thinking Either BMP or tunermotorsports
goto bimmerworld.com and get thier sunbelt cams... they are deffiently the best cams out there and if you want to really get the most power check out thier cam kits that include all the things you need to ge the most out of your car possible. but deffiently sunbelt FTW!
#14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 09:10 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Just buy s50 cams for your car. Basically what b_w. said. People are sellign them all the time. Usually can find used cams for like $250-$300 and you said you're a mechanic so you can install them yourself.

For software and a cold air intake you can visit www.turnermotorsport.com. TMS has some quality stuff for your car.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 08:27 AM
vwk
1st Gear Member

vwk is an unknown quantity at this point
The difference is, Schrick = new and optimized for your engine. S50 are just designed for a different head.

If the money difference is no issue, just go for Schrick. There experts

Euro E36 M3 3.2 Rebuild Project

27 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)