Good Tires for Autocross? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2004, 01:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Q_BMW is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Q_BMW Send a message via MSN to Q_BMW
hey guys
I went t my first Autocross event this weekend and had the best time of my life. I did farewell although I was driving with my snow tires. I was thinking about getting street tires and rims but cannot spend too much on them esp since I can only get 4 more events for this season.
Can anyone suggest what tires to get and would normal summer tires do the job too ? any place that sells those ugly factory rims wiith tires so I can put them on when i go for autocrossing ?
thanks for the help guys
Q

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>Past:</span> <span style='color:red'>1996 BMW 328i</span></span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><a href='http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=10038932107&page=1&sort_o rder=0' target='_blank'>PICTURES!!</a></span>
Q_BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2004, 02:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
Kevin325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Kevin325i
Kuhmo MXs if they'll never seen snow. Or Azenis, I can't remember the brand. When you're at the next event, look at everyone's tires, I guarantee 90% of the street tires (non race slicks, or R comps) will be one of those two. When I need a new set of tires, I'm going for the Kuhmos.

&quot;WAAAAAAARRRRRIORS, come out to plaaaaay.&quot;
Kevin325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 03:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
cool
thanks kevin...any place to buy cheap ass non fancy ugly rims ?
so that way i could sit the kumhos on them ?
thanks
Q

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>Past:</span> <span style='color:red'>1996 BMW 328i</span></span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><a href='http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=10038932107&page=1&sort_o rder=0' target='_blank'>PICTURES!!</a></span>
Old 07-19-2004, 11:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
Kevin325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Kevin325i
Well, if I were you, I'd get those tires you've got for the snow remounted on the crappy rims, then put the kuhmos on the 16s you've got now. I think that's what you meant to say. As for cheap crappy ones, try tirerack.com. You can also order the tires through them in just about any size you want.

Another possibility would be to buy a set of the 15 inchers when somebody upgrades their wheels. You could probably get a set off ebay for like 300 bucks.

&quot;WAAAAAAARRRRRIORS, come out to plaaaaay.&quot;
Kevin325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 11:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Autotechnica is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Autotechnica Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
I don't know why so many people use Kumho, honestly I can't stand any type of Korean tire. Hankook has to be the best example of a very poor quality Korean tire company. My pacemark winter tires handle better in the dry than my so called "high performance" Z rated Hankook tires. Anyways, after I got rid of those god awful tires, I replaced them with Dunlop SP Sport FM90's, very good track tires, haven't tried them at auto-x this season though. Lots of tread life, plenty of grip, very predictable. I've also heard great things about Yoko ES-100's.

My friends have had lots of problems with Kumho, mostly accelerated tire wear. They don't even last one season. The only good thing I've heard about them is the good wet traction, something I don't really care about. Why would you be speeding around in the rain anyways?

Bry
<a href='http://www.automobile-technik.com' target='_blank'>- PARTS FOR SALE</a>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
&lt;img src=&quot;http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/atta...tc=1&quot;&gt;
Autotechnica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 12:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Turbodefrost is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Turbodefrost
Toyo Proxes are very good. I have them, and have never had any traction problems while taking very hard turns.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 97 528i and 94 325i
Photos:
roguesniper1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to roguesniper1
Yes, toyo's are super tires, but they also cost fucking arm and length. Personally, I would go with Falken azenis or Yokohama ES-1 for perfect balance. They act very good and cost accrodingly. If I was rich, I would toyo's as they are the ultimate tires. PERIOD. P Nero Zero are good too, but again they are expensive than the ES-1 and Azenis.
roguesniper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 01:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
if you'd have posted this about 2 weeks ago you could've had my old tires. They had one or two serious autocrosses in them before their final farewell.
El Presidente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 09:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
hey
thanks guys....el presidente u got rid of them ? for how much just so i have an idea of what i should pay...thanks
Q

Old 07-20-2004, 09:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
hey
i have 16" now with the sport package, if i buy 15" wud performance be worse ...pls lemme know cuz someone is sellin 15"s
thanks guys
Q

Old 07-20-2004, 10:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
yeah, i just sears keep em. I was just wanting to make a buck off em. Would've gone 30 for all four.
El Presidente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 12:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 97 528i and 94 325i
Photos:
roguesniper1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to roguesniper1
also, don't go smaller in autocross, it will affect the handling in the negative. For extreme performence, I would recommend 17,s or 18. It will slow your acceleration for couple tenths, but will give far more superior handling around corners and better brake response.
roguesniper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 03:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
hey
thanks for the reply but i had a question. Some people had told me that 17" are great for performance and 18" might be too big for like autocross...this is just a statement i inferred from some people but have not directly been told this. What do you guys think ?
Also I currently have 16"s with the sport (lowered) suspension and I do not plan to do any suspension mods in the near future, the rear end sits really low so 18"s wud look decent but the front end might lift up ? would I only need to change springs to lower then and assuming I do mod the suspension in a yr or so would this be the ideal way to go for autocross ? or 17"s would be better?
thanks a ton guys
Q

Old 07-21-2004, 05:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Autotechnica is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Autotechnica Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
17" wheels are the ideal size for performance. 18" wheels are more for show. You won't really get the full benefits of using low profile 17" tires until you lower the car more. You want to have more -ve camber so when you're conering your tires will stay flat as a millpond.

Bry
<a href='http://www.automobile-technik.com' target='_blank'>- PARTS FOR SALE</a>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
&lt;img src=&quot;http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/atta...tc=1&quot;&gt;
Autotechnica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 06:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
so in that case wud u recommend i just buy a set of 16" tires and use the factory rims....should be good enough ?
what size tires should i buy ?
Q

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)