Good Seattle Area Independent Mechanic? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 07:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
supark is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I want to get my rear end noise checked out, but don't know of any reputable Seattle area independents. I'm definitely not going to bring it to dealership.

There's a place called Strictly BMW nearby, but their labor rates are pretty high - I guess that's to be expected.

Trying to diagnose my rear end noise - I've ruled out the power steering pump. Basically on low speed turns, I hear a low humming noise/grinding. Could this be because my differential fluid needs to be changed out? I don't have any other problems - no discernible wheel shake and I only hear this noise when I'm turning. What are the symptoms of rear wheel bearing failure? I read the DIY on it and it sounds reasonable... Is there a way to diagnose whether this is the issue without pulling the axle out?

Oh yeah - I actually hear a low throbbing sound that is related to speed the first 50 feet that I drive after it's been sitting for a while - I'm guessing this is because the differential gear oil has pooled and it's a little noisier back there until the oil starts sticking to the gears?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Brian325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Well this probably won't help but I got to a local place called L&B Auto located in snohomish....that's like 45 minutes north of seattle!
#3 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 04:41 AM
1st Gear Member

supark is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian325i@Oct 29 2004, 03:50 PM
Well this probably won't help but I got to a local place called L&B Auto located in snohomish....that's like 45 minutes north of seattle!
[snapback]220912[/snapback]
Well, a good mechanic is hard to find - how much do they charge for labor? Have you found them to be pretty reliable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)