Funny Smell And Some Gear Problems Help! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2004, 10:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
KevinTS is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to KevinTS
Today i was driving my car and i was going from 0-60 just to see how long it took. When i took off at 6000 RPM i jumped up to 20MPH but then it dogged and it seemed like it went into neutral some how. Then all of a sudden it went to 7000RPM so i shifted to 2nd and it immediatly jumped to 7000RPM it did the same thing up to 5th gear so i don't know what happened to it and why i did that. My guess is that the gears are not catching quick enough could this be a reason why it did that? Also when i got back home it smelled funny like oil was burning is this normal or do i have a problem with my oil? What does "ATF oil only" stand for on a standard on the right side of my motor far down? anything will help if you know anything about what is going on with my car thanks.
KevinTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2004, 10:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Autotechnica is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Autotechnica Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Quote:
Originally posted by KevinTS@Dec 16 2004, 10:27 PM
Today i was driving my car and i was going from 0-60 just to see how long it took.* When i took off at 6000 RPM i jumped up to 20MPH but then it dogged and it seemed like it went into neutral some how.* Then all of* a sudden it went to 7000RPM so i shifted to 2nd and it immediatly jumped to 7000RPM it did the same thing up to 5th gear so i don't know what happened to it and why i did that.* My guess is that the gears are not catching quick enough could this be a reason why it did that?* Also when i got back home it smelled funny like oil was burning is this normal or do i have a problem with my oil?* What does "ATF oil only" stand for on a standard on the right side of my motor far down? anything will help if you know anything about what is going on with my car thanks.
[snapback]252807[/snapback]
ATF is Automatic Transmission Fluid. Manual tranny BMW's use ATF.

You took off at 6000RPM? I assume that means you just revved up to redline then just dumped the clutch. That smell is probably your clutch burning. Pure idiotic if you ask me. Sounds more like when you shift the clutch is slipping and the RPM's are just hitting the rev limiter because of the clutch slip. The clutch isn't enguaging properly so you just burn it more and more by revving it to redline.

Oh god, please don't abuse your car like that. Learn to launch and shift properly.
<a href='http://www.automobile-technik.com' target='_blank'>- PARTS FOR SALE</a>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
&lt;img src=&quot;http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/atta...tc=1&quot;&gt;
Autotechnica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 10:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
KevinTS is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to KevinTS
Okay well first of all the red zone is at 8000 to let you know if you were wondering. I also don't think it was my clutch because sometimes when i just driving normally it would start to smell when i'm on a busy street when i'm stopping and going a lot. I wasn't for sure where the RPM was i was assuming maybe it was at 4 or 5 i just guessed. When i'm going to down a highway it will do that also so i was just guessing.
KevinTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 10:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Autotechnica is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Autotechnica Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Quote:
Originally posted by KevinTS@Dec 16 2004, 10:40 PM
Okay well first of all the red zone is at 8000 to let you know if you were wondering.* I also don't think it was my clutch because sometimes when i just driving normally it would start to smell when i'm on a busy street when i'm stopping and going a lot.* I wasn't for sure where the RPM was i was assuming maybe it was at 4 or 5 i just guessed.* When i'm going to down a highway it will do that also so i was just guessing.
[snapback]252819[/snapback]
What car do you drive that would go to 8000RPM? That's pretty damn spectacular!

Anyways, if you're not that great at driving manual, stoping and going will definitely cause your clutch to burn up and start slipping. Especially if you ride on the clutch for long periods of time.

Either your clutch is REALLY worn out, or it's your driving habbits.

BTW, BMW stock clutches are garbage for performance driving. But anyways, it doesn't take abuse well so drive normal!

Bry
<a href='http://www.automobile-technik.com' target='_blank'>- PARTS FOR SALE</a>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
&lt;img src=&quot;http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/atta...tc=1&quot;&gt;
Autotechnica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 12:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
theogill is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to theogill
Ditto. Yer burning up your clutch. By the sound of it you don't have much experience driving a manual. Reving it up that high is not necessary unless you don't really know how to drive a manual. SOunds to me like yer clutch is now toast. Gotta learn sometime eh :P

Too bad its not an old plymouth horizon you can learn on and then junk and move on to your bimmer.
Good luck. Take it easy on that clutch, and engine. Or get an auto
Old 12-17-2004, 01:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
mmclaren is an unknown quantity at this point
wat bmw red lines at 8000 :S
mmclaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 03:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
supark is an unknown quantity at this point
I used to have a bmw that redlined at 8500 rpm...

It was a motorcycle though, maybe he thinks this is a bike forum??

And for all you dimwits, ATF actually stands for Automatic Tater Fryer. I believe he has the deep fryer option in his bimmer.
supark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)