BMW Werkz banner

Funky Smell when heater on

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  del23 
#1 ·
Hello. Recently i have a funky smell when my heating system is on. Almost like a musty smell. Usually you may get a smell when AC is on, but when AC is on the smell goes away...Any ideas??? thanks

#3 ·
would i see anti-freeze leaking?, would my temp gauge show this, would it smell like anti-freeze, what are other symptoms of heater core problems. Arizona, California car. How do i check, car is still certified for another month....It seems as thought it may not be that major? I have no liquid showing anywhere....?

#4 ·
Hey del23 What I would check is your evaporator drain.It is located outside by the passenger side of the car. It's probably plugged causing the condensation to collect in the car.Your a/c system will run even with heater on.The compressor will run when you turn on the defroster even though you have the heat on.So there is condensation collecting in the evaporator compartment.
Also I would check your cabin filter to see it might be full of fungus from the water collecting in the car.
Hope this helps

#7 ·
Originally posted by bmwtech332ti@Mar 19 2004, 08:16 PM
no heater core. the smell would be sweet and it is a bitch to replace it. It is an eviromental condition and you need to go to you dealer and have them clean your evaporator. They have a special fogger that cleans the system and works really good.
change filters first. also please PM bout ur pic in your info thank you

#8 ·
Originally posted by e36_m3_Turbo+Mar 19 2004, 09:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (e36_m3_Turbo @ Mar 19 2004, 09:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bmwtech332ti@Mar 19 2004, 08:16 PM
no heater core. the smell would be sweet and it is a bitch to replace it. It is an eviromental condition and you need to go to you dealer and have them clean your evaporator. They have a special fogger that cleans the system and works really good.
change filters first. also please PM bout ur pic in your info thank you [/b][/quote]
Any idea what this fogger is called or wha the procedure is called? Car is at the dealer right now. But they say that can really do much at this point, check evaporate from previous post and it was clear and they checked heater elements and said they were fine...Not sure if I understood what was being said after change the filters in last post.

P.S. all filters were changed...taht was the first thing they did....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.