Fuel and temp gauge help needed asap - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 12:08 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
seven is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Fuel and temp gauge help needed asap

I have a 92 325 last night the temp and fuel gauge quit working. The lights are still on but no readings. This happened once before but started working before I could take a look. Now they seem to have quit altogether. I cannot find a fuse for these gauges, maybe a fusible link somewhere?, I have checked everywhere I can think of for a short. Interior is pretty much torn apart now. Any help would be appreciated Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 01:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Hamfisted is on a distinguished road
Clean terminals...

For the fuel gauge, does the low fuel warning light come on there at the gauge when the needle read empty? If it does then you probably just have a problem with dirty terminals back at the fuel quantity sender under the rear seat. I had this problem a few years back. The E36 fuel tank is actually a saddleback tank and has two quantity senders in it, one on either side of the rear seat. You have to remove the rear seat to check them but that's pretty easy anyway. The sender on the passenger side is combined with the fuel pump, but the one on the driver's side is by itself. If you short the two wires together on one of the senders you should see the fuel gauge jump to half full (ignition key ON...). If you short the other side together at the same time you should see the gauge go to FULL. Hopefully it's just the nuisance dirty terminal syndrom and nothing too serious. But that will at least check the circuit for you.
Same kind of test for the temperature gauge. If you ground the sending wire you should see the gauge go to full HOT with the key ON. If you do then the problem is the sensor itself. If you don't then the problem is in the wiring circuit and involves more testing. But that should get you started.

-Mike
#3 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 01:13 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks the low fuel warning light does not come on. Seams this car has a few wiring problems. I had both gauges working for a minute just a little bit ago but they went out again. seems it is a problem at the gauges themselves maybe not getting any power the do work together have not had a problem with 1 working and the other not any help would be great this is driving me crazy
#4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 01:31 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Just went out and checked the senders. I tried to short them to get a reading but nothing. seems the gauges in the dash are not getting any power. Is there a fuse or relay? maybe fusible link I am missing?
#5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Hamfisted is on a distinguished road
Cluster plug...

Ok, have you had the instrument cluster out? The only other common point for both these gauges is the plug on the back of the instrument cluster. Possibly a corrosion problem on the plug itself or some kind of damage to the harness near the plug. I assume you've checked all your fuses already? What's your email address and I can send you the factory wiring diagrams if you think that would help.

-Mike
#6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 03:48 PM
n00b

atanakin is on a distinguished road
same thing happened to me in my 93 325 is. go to the junk yard and find a new cluster.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 02:41 AM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
typically it means your in need of a new cluster. luckily your tach and speedo still work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)