BMW Werkz banner

Fuel Issue.

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Furious 
#1 ·
Okay so i've got a 1994 318i i was driving home from work and made a stop. At the stop the car idled shortly then kinda chugged and then died.
What my question is to you guys is whats a fuel pump usually run price wise and also i've heard that my car has two fuel pumps one inline and one in tank so basically just looking for a few answers. Also all fuses were check, placed more gas in take incase the gague was wrong. whats your ideas.?

#4 ·
well my first guess that the gague read wrong. So i bought some gas .
when i would try to start it it would start and idle for about 2 seconds and then putt out. Also typically you can hear your fuel pump make the wine noice when the key is turned but not fully i no longer heard that sound. I checked the fuses,checked the around all my tubing to make sure the correct air was being taken in because once before my car wouldn't start due to the fact it was taking it the wrong air..
So i just took a guess and figured it was the fuel pump. i mean even if it's not it's about time to change the pump and filter anyway it's got a 193.xxx miles.

#5 ·
Here is another Guess. If you have taken your car trough a car wash or washed it with a high pressure hose, then it may have flooded your DME which is your car computer. When that gets flooded or wet, your car would tend to do that and leave you clueless as to what is the problem.

The compartment to the computer could even hold up to a gallon of water and this wasn't fixed until about 96-97 by bmw. Try to see if that could be the problem

#7 ·
sadly i haven't washed the car in some time we had a decent rain but i highly doubt after the amount of rain we've had in the past that this time would be any diffrent.
The fuel filter hasn't been changed since i owned the car so it's hard to say when the last person did it .. maybe a good idea to check it out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.