Fuel Injection Problem? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 06:02 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bmw325es is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
This is a long story(but please bare with me). I bought my car about 6 months ago(1996 328is). The first day i bought it the water pump went out and my radiator blew up. Boy was I happy. I didn't know about the infamous plastic impeller, but now i do. Thats all fixed, but things went down hill from there. I really doubt i warped the head, but i just mentioned this to leave nothing out. Problems: I was pulling a good 29MPG driving to work everyday. One day the car started to misfire/hesitate. The check engine light comes on. Code says injector or ignition circuit was faulty. I replaced three injectors with brand new ones, and had the other three fully serviced/cleaned(dont ask why i did it this way). I reset the codes and it seemed to be ok for a while. I noticed the car was not performing so well anymore. It wasn't as smooth and loss of power, and my milage dropped about 4 mpg( this is all over some period of time, not all the sudden). Then it does the same thing, misfires check engine, same codes. I take it to a shop, they check the codes reset it and the car is "fine". I insist its not running like it used to, but he doesn't agree. I replaced the fuel filter, and presure regulator. After some time it does this again. I take it to the shop and same thing. After they reset the code it doesn't misfire anymore. Im out a few hundred dollars and am getting pissed. Again a few weeks later it does the same thing. I take it to another shop. He wants to replace two ignition coils for 400. Hmmm i think not, I bought two coils for 140 and did it myself. Few weeks later it does the same thing, but wait this time it gets worse. Im kicking out smoke like an old carburated 350. Im running rich like crazy. I run the car off, put the key in the on posistion and i hear some noise from the engine(its not running at this time). One of the injectors is being pulsed on (WTF?). I figured out which one it was and sure enough the plug for that cylinder was fouled. I swapped injectors, and still the same cylinder was giving me problems. I take it to a dealership now. They reset the code and say its fine. I looked at the bently manual electrical diagrams, and it shows that the injectors are controlled directly from the ECU(or whatever its called). but i dont buy it, i heard some buzzing noises besides the injector when it was being pulsed on for no reason. I would dyno my car to prove its not running right but im out of money and i cant find any competent mechanics. Right now its not misfiring but it sure is not up to par. I realy doubt its the ECU, and i guess i will never know because i will not pay 1000 or whatever it is for a new one. Any suggestions will help, at this point i have given up and am almost considering selling the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 07:21 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
have you checked the rest of the plugs and coils to see if there is any problem with them? Also where the injectors that were messing up the new ones or the cleaned ones? Also out of curiosity which cylinder is giving you problems? Also did you have the head checked while the car was in one of these shops?
#3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 10:00 PM
n00b

bmw325es is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by thekid@Jan 26 2005, 05:21 PM
have you checked the rest of the plugs and coils to see if there is any problem with them? Also where the injectors that were messing up the new ones or the cleaned ones? Also out of curiosity which cylinder is giving you problems? Also did you have the head checked while the car was in one of these shops?
[snapback]279906[/snapback]
The error codes ranged from saying a few injectors are bad, to misfires on all cylinders , and sometimes it says ignition coil failures. The last set of codes said cylinder 4 and 6 coils were bad. Those are the ones i replaced. Oddly enough, when things got real bad cylinder #4 was the one running realy rich.

the injector that was being turned on and causing the rich mixure was a cleaned one. But the only way i could see the injector causing this problem is if it was stuck open, but i could clearly hear that the solenoid was being pulsed on for no reason, why would the ECU do that? the engine wasn't even running, the key was just in the on position.

I pulled out all the spark plugs and they looked ok except for #4. The only reason I replaced the ignition coils is because i was running out of ideas(and it was relatively cheap compared to what ive spent already). This OBD II is a plague, mechanics use it as a crutch.

I did not have the head checked, to do so would require the removal, a compression test might work, but i am very hesitant to believe its that. I know what an engine runs like when it has bad compression, this isn't it. Plus i know other people that have overheated like me to the point that the radiator blew up and their engines are all fine.

I need to get it dyno'd so i know im not crazy, anyone know of a place in LA area?
#4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 12:05 AM
5th Gear Member

Speedy-325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Speedy-325is Send a message via MSN to Speedy-325is Send a message via Yahoo to Speedy-325is
maybe your new injectors are putting out too much gas....messing up the mixture.
are you sure they are the correct injector?

do your sparkplugs on cylinders 4 5 or 6 have oil on them?
is ur car leaking oil?
it sounds to me like it could be a dead cylinder causing your car to run/sound/smell all bad.

go to a shop called VALLEY EUROPEAN in Van Nuys
they are the BEST, most HONEST shop i have ever been to. im not kidding when i say they will be able to tell you what is wrong with your car.
talk to Fred.
here is their number....(818)787-7187

he will put it to you strait, and he WILL be able to do anything and everything the others can't. he can even have it dyno'd for you, but you dont need that. if u know its wrong, why would you pay someone to find out.......? POINTLESS!
you need to hook it up to a gas anaylser to see whats burning and whats not.....this is the easiest way to start looking.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)