BMW Werkz banner

Fuel Guage

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  johnnyb_s 
#1 ·
My fuel guage suddenly went to E today. I had aprox. 3/4 of a tank when it happened. Has anyone had this happen and what was the fix? :confused

#2 ·
i've had that happen with an older car i had, in that case it turned out being a bad connection on the back of the gauge. however, you should check the fuse box before you disassemble the dash gauges. if you find a burnt out fuse remember to replace it with one that matches what the manual specifically calls for of course. it could be that the one in it, if burnt out, is not high enough. now that i think about it tho, it doesn't make sense to be a fuse if nothing else went out, i don't have my manual with me this moment so i can't look it all up for you, but you should try checking that anyways, maybe someone else has more experience with this than me, but that should give you something to start with.

#3 ·
Another problem is the fuel gauge sending unit (under rar seat in E30 and either their or below trunk in your car). you can pull the unit and clean the elctrical connections and see if that helps. I have had to replace two of these in my cars (separate cars) in the last few years for the problem you describe. I am currently car sitting a 1990 325ic that has fuel gauge issues and I am in process of pulling the sending unit and cleaning her up.

#4 ·
Yep, those three possiblilities should be it. You may have to replace a fuse, replace the whole sender unit (or as mentioned clean, but I have never had to clean one before), check the connection on the back of the gauges, or repalce the connection to the gauges or the very worst repalce the gauges. That's prety much in the order of probability too if you want to check down the list. You might want to check the gauges before the sender unit, but it is more work.

#5 ·
Check the resistance at the leads for both fuel sending units using an ohm meter. If there is no resistance, one of the leads probably broke off from the sending unit. Remove the sending unit and solder the lead back in place. Reset your gauges by holding in the odometer reset button while turning the key to the on position. Continue to hold in the odometer reset button until the needle goes up and then back down. Problem should be solved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.