BMW Werkz banner

Fuel Filter Removal

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  BEX 
#1 ·
I took my car to get the water pump changed from the plastic impeller to the metal one and also let the mechanic change the fuel filter as I had all the other service parts changed myself last weekend.

He told me he needed a special tool to get the clamps from off the filter. Bentley manual doesnt speak to any special tools needed. What I am trying to figure out is if there are any special tools used to remove the clamps securing the filter to the chassis?

I was also informed that the placement of my fuel filter was not in the place specified in the Bentley, mine was allegedley near the starter by the engine!

I will do my own work on the weekend if I dont need any special equiptment.

Any info would be super!!!!

BEX

1992 E36 320i EuroSpec
4-DR Sedan
Auto

See less See more
#2 ·
There's no special tool. I can't remember, but I think it was a 6mm hex. Either way once you unscrew the bracket then the filter just hangs down.

The fuel filter is located (M42) on the drivers side under the car right where the floor mat is. If you just peak under the car you should be able to see it. Make sure you use a pan to catch the gas when you remove the hoses from the filter. Clamp each side to stop the fuel from gushing out. The hoses are just attached by screw on rings.

Anyways, everything is quite easy (but messy). The most difficult thing is to reinstall the fuel filter bracket. Much easier if you have a hoist.

Make sure you check to see whether you have the "short" or "long" version of the fuel filter before you purchase one. Also, take note of which direction the filter is installed. The arrows should point the direction of the fuel flow.

Good luck,

Bryan

#3 ·
"special tools" will depend on how the hoses are connected to the filter. if they are regular hose clamps, you won't need special tools. if they are crimped hose clamps (a real B*TCH, trust me), your "special tool" will be a screwdriver. see pic below.

while the pic doesn't depict a fuel filter, it does show the alternate style of clamp which would lead the mechanic to tell you that you need a special tool. also note that if you deform the clip while trying to move it (i.e., make the crimped part wider), it is a REAL B*TCH to try to get it back together... time for "special tool." alternately, you could use a pair of ***** to re-crimp it, but if you weaken the integrity of the crimp in the process, you run the risk of losing fuel pressure. best bet in that case is to get a new hose clamp.

re: clamps securing filter to chassis
the clamps securing it to chassis are regular hex bolts. early e36 6-cylinder cars like yours have the filter near the left engine mount.

Attachments

#4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies, makes this task a bit easier. I will take a photo of the filter location and post it here. I just took a look at it and it is attached to the engine block in the middle like right along the left engine mount just like the book says.

I am going to tackle this job on the weekend.

Thanks again

BEX

1992 E36 320i EuroSpec
4-DR Sedan
Auto

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.