BMW Werkz banner

Fuel Filter

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Cruzin 323is 
#1 ·
Has anyone in here ever replaced their fuel filter? how easy is it? and where is it located?

thanks kris

#2 ·
I have not replaced it, because when I talked to people they said it would normally be an easy job but that the BMW one is not easy to get to and it can be real messy.

#3 ·
On the earlier models its kinda hard because you have little room to work. Its by the driver engine mount. But its actually kinda simple. There is a large clamp that goes around the filter and there is a rubber insert. Losen the nut enough so you can spin the filter. Clamp the hose on top of filter and same with the bottom. There is a clip that holds the top hose on thats semi hard to get to. You need a preaty small screwdriver. The one in ur trunk is too big. Just pray the last person put it on right, so that the little part you have to turn is facin the right way. After you take off the top hose a little gas will come out, but you can wipe it off. Make sure you clamp close to the filter opening so less gas comes out. You will however have fuel in the filter, so use the rubber nipple from the new one and put it on the open part of the filter. Disconnect the bottom and make sure the filter is upside down so that no fuel will come out from the open end you just disconnected. Once again a little fuel will come out of the hose. Install the new one doing all the steps in reverse and your set. But you have a later model and I think your filter is actually under the driver and its a lot easier to replace. Its all in plain view. Clamp hoses, have a rag ready, and thats about it. Make sure the filter is on right. The flow arow points towards the engine.

-Serge

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.