Fuel Cut Off + reset? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 09:10 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BavTuner is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Fuel Cut Off + reset?

Hi, I was just wondering if the the 92 325i has any type of fuel cut in it in case of accidents and over revving. If it does have a fuel cut is it an automatic or manual reset? Any help is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 02:28 PM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
Not that I know of or have ever seen or heard of, so I would say NO.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#3 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 09:16 PM
n00b

drivinfaster is on a distinguished road
fuel cut off a'la ford products?? no. fuel cut off a'la moron on the accelerator, oui. (that's french for 'yes') most vehicles have been programmed with rev limiters to prevent over revving the engines, as well as govenors for limiting the top speed.

some newer vehicles (autos) also will not engage drive (a'la "neutral drop") with the rpm out of normal parameters, as well as many other 'features' that have been built in to prevent stupid people from destroying their cars.

i believe the 7's, and maybe even others, have a speed limiter in reverse as well.

df
#4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 09:31 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
More recent BMWs have accident modes like you mention, but I don't know if they had it as early as 1992

#5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 06:51 AM
Help from over the pond

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
fuel cut off a'la ford products?? no. fuel cut off a'la moron on the accelerator, oui. (that's french for 'yes') most vehicles have been programmed with rev limiters to prevent over revving the engines, as well as govenors for limiting the top speed.

some newer vehicles (autos) also will not engage drive (a'la "neutral drop") with the rpm out of normal parameters, as well as many other 'features' that have been built in to prevent stupid people from destroying their cars.

i believe the 7's, and maybe even others, have a speed limiter in reverse as well.

df
I have all the above on my 7, but I think Bav was asking more if you were in a smash would it auto turn off the fuel.

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 09:46 AM
n00b

BavTuner is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
well i was asking more so if you miss a shift and over rev it. If it would cut fuel to the engine. My boss over revved his m3 with an s50 in it. It doesnt start now. Theres weird noises or anything everything sounds like a normal cranking over engine, except for the part where it fires. I would think if it bent just a valve or two it would still start but run really rough. And if it bent many you would hear them hitting the head. So thats why i asked if there was a fuel cut with a manual reset like fords have when they over rev, Bcuz i know he never checked that. Or is it possible it blew a fuse for the fuel pump, i kno its unlikely tho.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 09:54 AM
Help from over the pond

AH! so your after buying this car ????, Ok, he could have blown a fuse, knocked out the camshaft sensor or the crankshaft sensor.

Best way: crank her over a few times, then take a plug out, is it wet or dry? do you get a spark ?

#8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 10:26 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Yes, there is a fuel cutoff if you over-rev, but it is not guaranteed to kick in quickly enough if you do a money shift, which is what you're talking about. By the time the fuel cutoff engages, you may already havebent valves. These systems aren't magic

#9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 07:53 PM
n00b

drivinfaster is on a distinguished road
rev limiter cuts out the injectors, which is controlled by the dme. i am not familiar with a 'cut out' per say for shutting the engine down. by the description, it sounds like the timing chain went due to either a worn/broken tensioner and/or guide. do a compression check on it. regardless of the 'spec', you are looking for differential readings. readings all over the board usually indicate valvetrain issues.

and no, you will not hear the valves hitting the piston unless you are using a stethescope and in close proximity to it.

df
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)