Frustrating problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 09:58 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
TurboB3 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Frustrating problem

So this instrument cluster is killing me. As i had said before, it just stopped working one day and said Code where it should say the mileage. No speedo, tach, gas, just the lights light up and the parking break and that stuff. That was before i started tinkering around with her. My manuel said to pull it out and to take it to the dealer, they said it has to be in the car, and just to look at it it will cost 118$/hour. Thats my last resort that I dont want to do, because I know it will cost hundreds after that. I've searched online and came across barely anything. I have thought of a few things that could have caused this. I have a short or something draining my battery, making me dissconnect it all the time (very annoying as well). Could this be like the radio, and need a code? I mean i disconnected it hundreds of times before this happened though.

What im going to try and do is probe the connecters and see if there is power to those and whatnot because I dont know what else. Or should I just go to the dealership and get it over with?

Any help at all would be appreciated. I need to get my baby back on the road and i need this fixed to get inspected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 11:51 AM
n00b

TurboB3 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
I think i have found someone with the same problem, and a new cluster was the answer.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 11:55 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Glad to see that you got it resolved.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 10:43 PM
n00b

tommo8ball is on a distinguished road
i have had the same issue havent resolved it yet thou , i took my cluster apart being the curious lil fellow i am and found a scorched resister , cant replace it though as i dont know what type it is lol, so need to get a new cluster too. sad !

#5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 11:03 PM
Science Roolz!

SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to SHAHAB323IS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommo8ball View Post
i have had the same issue havent resolved it yet thou , i took my cluster apart being the curious lil fellow i am and found a scorched resister , cant replace it though as i dont know what type it is lol, so need to get a new cluster too. sad !
take it to an electronics place and see if they can figure it out for you. I avoided a $600 climate control repair by replacing a $0.49 cent capacitor on my climate control unit.

2011 Mazda2
1990 Mazda Miata
#6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 12:15 AM
n00b

tommo8ball is on a distinguished road
ill give it a go the worst that can happen is i buy a 2nd hand 1! thanks for the idea!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)