Frront wheel noise - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2006, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
mathijskok is an unknown quantity at this point
Frront wheel noise

While I was rotating the tires I noticed that the left front wheel did not rotate as well as the right front wheel and there is a bit of a grinding noise when I rotate the wheel, very soft but it's there. There is a trace of it on the right side as well.

Is that something I need to have looked at? And if so, what's it likely to be? Expensive to fix? DIY for somebody who can just about rotate tires and do an oil change?

Mathijs
mathijskok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2006, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
General Chaos

Car: ///M3,Corolla
Photos:
SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathijskok
While I was rotating the tires I noticed that the left front wheel did not rotate as well as the right front wheel and there is a bit of a grinding noise when I rotate the wheel, very soft but it's there. There is a trace of it on the right side as well.

Is that something I need to have looked at? And if so, what's it likely to be? Expensive to fix? DIY for somebody who can just about rotate tires and do an oil change?

Mathijs
my opinion, have it checked it by a mechanic to diagnose problem, it could be alot of things...then once u have the prob, we can recommend a DIY or go from there....
Old 01-21-2006, 04:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
polaris448 is an unknown quantity at this point
i disagree with the last post. i think that there could be two different things that causes the wheels to rotate more or less freely. the first is not to worry about because it could be one set of brakes dragging more than the other side when you took off and replaced the wheels. they will go back to normal when you put the car back down and drive it. the second reason for a difference in the ability to spin the wheel could be differences in the wheel bearings and how they are wearing. the number one sign that a wheel bearing is going is excessive noise (howling sound on the highway) and then a while after that they will vibrate. that should be the last warning before the bearing lets loose. if the bearing is vibrating and the noise is quite intrusive get it fixed like yesterday! How many miles on the car? is the left wheel harder to rotate? if so it would give me more suspicion to the bad bearing. (we make more right turns than left and that puts more stress on the left side)

Last edited by polaris448; 01-21-2006 at 04:30 PM.
polaris448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris448
i disagree with the last post. i think that there could be two different things that causes the wheels to rotate more or less freely. the first is not to worry about because it could be one set of brakes dragging more than the other side when you took off and replaced the wheels. they will go back to normal when you put the car back down and drive it. the second reason for a difference in the ability to spin the wheel could be differences in the wheel bearings and how they are wearing. the number one sign that a wheel bearing is going is excessive noise (howling sound on the highway) and then a while after that they will vibrate. that should be the last warning before the bearing lets loose. if the bearing is vibrating and the noise is quite intrusive get it fixed like yesterday! How many miles on the car? is the left wheel harder to rotate? if so it would give me more suspicion to the bad bearing. (we make more right turns than left and that puts more stress on the left side)
I get no strange sounds even though I drove the car at top speed for an hour last week (assuming you hear ANYTHING mechanic in the convertible at that speed, lol.) I tried wiggling the wheel while it was on blocks, but it felt as stable and solid as the right wheel. But when I put a wrench on a wheel nut on the right side the wheel will rotate so the heavy part is down, on the left side it would just not do that. The soft grinding noise does have a change in it when I rotate the wheel, so that could indicate a brake pad that is not fully retracted? I am planning to bleed the brake system dry next weekend and refill it.

The car has about 117k kilometers (say 72k miles) on it, most of it autobahn and other straight roads. But I drive it hard, running it at 100 mph for a few hours is not unknown off (heck it is legal after all). I have had MAJOR problems with the rear bearings already and nearly ripped the back end off the car due to that.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
polaris448 is an unknown quantity at this point
The only other thing that i could recommend, before you go through all that bleeding, is to just do a walk around the car and smell and hold your hand near the wheel-well when you get done with a run. just see if the left side smells or feels hotter than the right side. That is a number one indication that it is a brake dragging or sticking. and if you say that there is no play in the wheel and no howling sounds and yes you would hear it, then i would just leave it be for a little while and just keep an eye on it. hope i helped. and oh ya your car is young and has a lot more life in her at only 72,000 miles. sounds good to hear someone driving these machines as they were intended. Keep it up! all of us over here in the states wish we had an autobahn!
polaris448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris448
The only other thing that i could recommend, before you go through all that bleeding, is to just do a walk around the car and smell and hold your hand near the wheel-well when you get done with a run. just see if the left side smells or feels hotter than the right side. That is a number one indication that it is a brake dragging or sticking. and if you say that there is no play in the wheel and no howling sounds and yes you would hear it, then i would just leave it be for a little while and just keep an eye on it. hope i helped. and oh ya your car is young and has a lot more life in her at only 72,000 miles. sounds good to hear someone driving these machines as they were intended. Keep it up! all of us over here in the states wish we had an autobahn!
ahhh, that sounds like the kind of tip I like (one I should have thought of myself). I'll have a try tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)