Frozen Brake Rotors - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2005, 07:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
green325is is an unknown quantity at this point
I tried a search and could find anyone who uses the "frozen" brake rotors. Has anyone tried them?? I am think about getting some for my 325is. Check out this site: http://www.frozenrotors.com/frozenrotors.shtml
green325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2005, 12:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: Anthracite e39 530iA
Photos:
Dudesky_E36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Dudesky_E36
Unless you abuse your brakes, it's really not worth the extra cost.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
e36surge is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to e36surge Send a message via MSN to e36surge
$113 USD each... whoa... OEM/brembro just did my rears for $50.00 each... I have to agree with DUDESKY...
e36surge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 09:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by e36surge@Aug 2 2005, 01:37 PM
$113 USD each... whoa... OEM/brembro just did my rears for $50.00 each... I have to agree with DUDESKY...
[snapback]366876[/snapback]
So you're just using regular (not drilled or slotted) brembo's? Any warping yet? I wonder how they really compare to oem.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
theironm0nk is an unknown quantity at this point
unless you race you wont need them.

Frozen rotors are good because they cryo temper the metal by freezing it. Doing it this way brings it to a nice rockwell rating that isn't too brittle nor is it too soft. But if they temper it like normal rotors then it will actually be made slighly more likely to warp.

This can how ever be very good for cross drilled rotors because the rockwell rating will be low enough to not warp under most conditions but will be soft enough to prevent cracking.

The reason why rotors crack is that there tempered too much usually with cross drilled because the theory is that the harder it is the better it is. but actually with cross drilled the rockwell rating should be lower because the cooling factor of the cross drilled is fast enough to prevent warping but not enough to prevent cracking.
Slotted rotor are usually tempered lower because its assumed that it will have enough integrety to with stand higher temperature; unfortunatly this is why there prone to warping. The end result you can either buy solid rotors or really expensive rotors with designers that take this into effect rather than just coppying everyone else. Just a metalugical rant
theironm0nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by theironm0nk@Aug 2 2005, 10:27 PM
unless you race you wont need them.

Frozen rotors are good because they cryo temper the metal by freezing it. Doing it this way brings it to a nice rockwell rating that isn't too brittle nor is it too soft. But if they temper it like normal rotors then it will actually be made slighly more likely to warp.

This can how ever be very good for cross drilled rotors because the rockwell rating will be low enough to not warp under most conditions but will be soft enough to prevent cracking.

The reason why rotors crack is that there tempered too much usually with cross drilled because the theory is that the harder it is the better it is. but actually with cross drilled the rockwell rating should be lower because the cooling factor of the cross drilled is fast enough to prevent warping but not enough to prevent cracking.
Slotted rotor are usually tempered lower because its assumed that it will have enough integrety to with stand higher temperature; unfortunatly this is why there prone to warping. The end result you can either buy solid rotors or really expensive rotors with designers that take this into effect rather than just coppying everyone else. Just a metalugical rant
[snapback]366992[/snapback]

Hey good info, thanks. I will probably just end up doing just regualar old brembo rotors and some pagids.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Kirks_E36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Kirks_E36 Send a message via MSN to Kirks_E36
Frozen brake rotors are more of a legit racing car. They kind of act like carbon fiber brake pads they take a higher temp to actually cause heated friction to slow the car down. With just a normal everyday driving car this probably wouldn't be the best idea considering it actually will screw up your braking because you will not be riding your brakes driving around the city or highway.
Kirks_E36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Car: 1995 BMW M3
Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
www.turnermotorsport.com

Check out the TMS cross drilled rotors. They are high quality, effectively eliminate heat build-up, and plus I ordered a pair this morning! :0

Good Luck!

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Ljk619 is an unknown quantity at this point
Stupid comment, but every time I read the topic title I keep thinking your rotors froze due to cold weather or something, then a second later I realize how dumb I am for even thinking that.

That's all

///M The most powerful letter in the alphabet
Ljk619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 01:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Car: 1995 BMW M3
Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Yeah when I first read it I thought he meant his calipers jammed. Lol

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)